Osu from China :)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Old_kyokushin, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Osu,

Hello to everyone on MAP; I was introduced here via MAP member VanZandt excellent articles on flexibility that were referenced on Kyokushin4life; having read through many threads as an unregistered member, I liked the well behaved, polite & respectful atmosphere & I decided to join in the conversation...

My name is Fred, I am 47 & I've lived in China for the past 12 years. I was studying kyokushin in the '80es, and I am back into it for the last 3 years; I train in my dojo in NingBo, China, and I am fortunate to also be able to train in other dojos around the world where I've met fantastic & dedicated people.

Through my Sensei in the US, I was exposed to IOGKF GoJuRyu & attended their International Gassuku last fall in Southern Africa... Although I love kyokushin, I discovered and came to appreciate many aspects of GoJuRyu.
    Of course, I am not competing any more, but I hardly turn down a friendly invitation to some hard contact kumite.

I am looking forward to exchanging ideas and opinions with a like minded community, and maybe we'll get to meet and train together sometimes in some place during my travels.

Osu!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP Fred :)

Mitch

3. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

I'm more than a bit jealous you got to attend the Ubuntu in South Africa!

You sound like a great character, look forward to seeing you around:)

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

5. osu,

Thank you for your welcome Mitch, Willsy & Simon_s.

Willsy, you have reasons to be jealous, the week in Stellenbosh was fantastic; we had superb karate training with great karatekas from all over the world; for some reasons, I was together with the IOGKF US squad, and we got to train together in their prep for the world cup; hanging out with these guys was very nice. I was introduced to Sensei Morio Higaonna - a very humble and affordable person - and many other amazing karatekas.

The scenery around Cape Town is breath taking and the food delicious. Wonderful people too.

We got to spend an extra week and trained at several kyokushin, ashihara and GoJuRyu dojos in the area; we trained on Table mountain and did Sanchin Kata on top of the Cape Of Good Hope - a very windy, but magnificent place.

A great experience.

Osu!

6. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Sounds awesome, if only I wasn't a poor and lowly student! I was lucky enough to make it to Higaonna Sensei's seminar in NZ in feb this year, (pic here) that was a great experience in itself!

We're aiming to make it to the world Budosai in Okinawa 2012, as long as I save enough - could be a case of selling my truck! Only thing that'll get me will be the heat mid-summer. My city is a fairly cold place!

Thanks for sharing :bow1:

7. Osu Willsy,

Thanks for the picture, it is nice to put a face on you...
    We might be meeting in Okinawa then...

Osu!

8. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Welcome to the forum Fred

9. Thank you Rivend, glad to meet you too.

Osu!

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hello and welcome. I recommend the Steak tartare

11. Osu,

Thank you Hannibal, why the steak tartare? :)

Osu!

12. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Hiya Fred. Oss.

13. Oldman46

Oldman46 Valued Member

Hi Fred,

Welcome. Im training in Laixi (near Qingdao). Have been here for a little more than 2 years now training full time in Shaolin Kung Fu, Sanda and Chen Taiji

14. Osu,

Thanks both Blade96 (are you in Kyokushin too Blade?) & Oldman46.

Oldman46, good to know you are in China; I'd love to hear more about your experience there...
    BTW, would you happen to know someone I could train KaKie with in Ningbo? maybe if you asked your instructors, they might know who I could call?

Osu!

15. Blade96

No, I'm Shotokan.

16. Osu Blade96,

Thank you; I asked because you OSSed in your last post :)
    Do shotokan people oss also?

OsU!

17. Blade96

very much :)

You can't spend time in our dojo or association one day without hearing an oss ;)

18. osu,

Thank you Blade96, I did not know that.

osu!

19. Blade96

oss. :)

20. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

welcome, from a newbie kyokushin karateka =D
    OSU!