Order of Belts

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Rob_InDaUk, Jul 9, 2003.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

white, blue, purple, brown, black.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Ahh, brazillian jujutsu, right?

Or a similar grade structure anyway!

Fanatical: traditional jujutsu doesn't even have the kyu/dan system. Traditionally they worked on a completely different system, which eventually led to the "grade" of menkyo kaiden being awarded to the student who had absorbed all the teachings of the school. The kyu/dan system of martial arts grades was invented by Kano in the late 19th Century, although it may have been in use for systems other than martial arts before then, I can't be sure without checking.

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

In the Scottish Ju Jitsu Assocation (SJJA) the Kyu belt colours are:

White (yes white has to be graded for)
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Black

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  5. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

I didn't really consider the oldest business. Dunno how much of that is in use today.

6. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Ours is:

White
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Black

LOL. What he said.

7. kempo-kid

kempo-kid Warning Dangerous

Ok my style of kempo jujitsu goes as follows
    red
    yellow
    orange
    green
    purple
    blue
    brown
    black
    1st dan
    2nd dan
    3rd dan
    4th dan
    5th dan
    ect.
    KK

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  8. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Quite a lot.
    Most of these styles use it:
    http://www.koryu.com/guide/jujutsu.html

9. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The quote about having one belt and dying it is correct not sure who started it and not sure if its traditiional. I think Jigoro Kano when he started Judo invented the belt system but i am not sure if he had the one colour must dye into another. Anyways its not that much cheaper due to the fact that dye is so expensive.

Belts that dye into each other.

White
    Yellow
    orange
    green
    blue
    brown
    Black
    black

10. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

For some reason, my Dojo doesn't even allow you to start out with a white belt. You have to GRADE for it! That's the SJJA for you...

I personally reckon it's a good idea, why should people get a belt to hold their pants up when they haven't earned it yet? :D

I think my belt system goes:
    None
    White
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Black
    Red

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  11. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Besides for belt colours, I'm interested to know how many systems also change uniform colours?

What grade do you need to be to change from white trousers to black?

And from white gi jacket to red?

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My style requires you to be a club instructor (1st kyu and above) before you can wear a hakama. Once you reach the senior second dan level (a teaching level rather than a true grade per se) you also get a sleeveless black jacket. Once you reach the dizzying heights of the guys who run the foundation, you get your sleeves ;)

There are only 5 people in the Foudnation allowed to wear the sleeved black top, if I recall correctly..

It's a weird uniform system, but it really helps determine who's who from a distance on the mat.

13. nickh

nickh Valued Member

When I studied kung fu years ago, the grades used to work by T-shirt colour as well as by belt colour.

14. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

My school:
    White
    yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Blue
    Red
    2nd Brown
    1st Brown
    Black
    ect.

15. gareth

gareth New Member

Hi there I just wanted to say that there is no right and wrong order for the belts in Ju-Jitsu neither in any other art.It entirely depends on the style , school and instructor.In my experience in the World Ju-Jitsu Federation ( which has now been for a number of years ) I have followed this belt order -

Red
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Blue and White
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown and White
    Brown
    Black

However this can change from place to place as I mentioned beforehand and anybody who sees the change as either inferior or inaccurate doesnt have respect for the martial arts systems that deviate from their own.

The question is not the order of the colours
    The question is how practicle the art is in a fight situation

Gaz

16. Moony

Moony Angry Womble

In Aiuchi it's white Gi's all round. Anyone that is 1st Kyu or above and teaching a club gets to wear Hakama. At our nationals 1st Kyu's don't wear their haks, they also don't when ukeing in gradings.

There's also a developing vogue by some of our senior instructors to not wear their gi trousers under their haks......which in its self isn't too bad unless they turn their haks in to nappies to do something and you get an eye full of hairy legs!!!

Moony

17. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

We wear white or blue gis up to 1st dan then you can wear black as well. Dan grades don't wear hakama for training.

18. Sever

Sever Valued Member

At my dojo everyone wears black gis (mostly because they look so cool ;)) and the instructor and assistant instructors wear black gi jackets with white trousers

19. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Are red and white blocked belts as well as all-red belts (but double the width) much used in jujutsu?

I believe that they are mostly used in judo to denote 6th dan and above, but I've seen old pictures of Takuma Hisa (of Daito-ryu jujutsu) wearing a red and white belt.

20. Aaron Fields

Aaron Fields Valued Member

Kano added belt colors (white, brown, and black) to facilitate a method to tell where a student was. Remeber he was an educator and was trying to get judo into mainstream education. Kano was a big fan of John Dewey and was very much a man of the Mejo period.

As to belt ranking there is no standard.

Aaron Fields