Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Bassmonkey, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

Hi There All.

A friend of mine attends this kickboxing class:

http://www.southcoastkickboxing.co.uk

and asked my opinion on it?

Having read the instructors profile, im just wondering if its actually possible to do all of this in the years that the instructor has been alive?

I have posted this in the kung fu forum as it says on the site that all the students at yellow or above are all graded in JKD. So yeah...im a little confused at would greatly appreciate you learned and in some cases unlearned opinions. ;)

Thanks All

C60

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

He's 44, a brown belt in Shotokan, a 4th Dan in TKD and a JKD instructor. Not really improbable.

3. Bassmonkey

But he teaches kickboxing.....and doesnt seem to have kickboxing experiance according to his own profile anyway.

Thats the main thing thats confuzzeld me.

Can you teach kickboxing after doing other MA's and not actually having learnt kickboxing?

thanks again

C60

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

A tricky point. If you teach TKD with no forms, what are you doing? If he's experienced in JKD then you'd imagine this has given him some grounding in boxing and Panantukan, and probably some Muay Thai as well.
    I personally would find it difficult to train under a kickboxing instructor who had never fought a full contact fight, but there are hundreds of them across the country. Pretty much every sport Karate place refers to themselves as kickboxing these days.

5. watts

watts Valued Member

Kick boxing can mean anything really, it is more a rule set than a style.

The question should be is what he teaches any good when it comes to applying it against another resisting person? The website states some of the club members have won kick boxing comps, though I have no idea what kind of organisation WKU is, so that should be some indication at least that his training methods look to be effective.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

What does your friend think of the training Cobalt?

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

P'raps you should have posted this in the JKD forum Cobalt?

8. Bassmonkey

I posted it here as there are elements of kung fu (JKD being kung fu....is it not?)

My friend really enjoys the training, but she is only really doing it for fitness. so she is happy enough. But she did ask my opinion based on the website and what i read confused me a little so i thought i would ask you knowledgable peoples.

9. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Cobalt whereabouts do these guys train now? If its the same club I'm thinking they used to train in poole at fitness first, I intended to go along but never got round to it.

10. Bassmonkey

They train in bournemouth now. On west cliff drive and in new milton. All the details are on their website.

What made you want to go and then subsequently not go?

Su: Just saw the JKD forum (typical man....wasnt looking properly sorry) do you think it would be worth putting in the there?

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I think it may be worth putting it in JKD Cobalt as the guys over there know their stuff. :)

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Just looked at the fighter profiles and if it has turned out Mo Kargbo they must be doing something right.

I saw him fight at the pavillion a few years ago.

His profile says he has trained with Phil Norman in kickboxing a short bio on him here. http://www.phil-norman.co.uk/members/SDCS Phil Norman.htm A nice and knowledgable bloke, I trained kickboxing under him for a few months at college.

I just never got round to it between existing style studied and work.

Reading up the instructor profile providing its all accurate doesn't seem like too bad a place to train.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  13. Bassmonkey

Fair enough.

I was just looking for a friend. I do Lau Gar Kung fu personally, but im always reading up on other styles and stuff and she asked me to have a look for her.

Was the pavillion comp any good, i wanted to go but moved house on the same day which i was not too impressed with!

14. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

The one I went to was a good few years ago (my then boyfreind was fighting) so I don't remember all that much about it to be honest I only remembered Mo because he's huge and had a good fight.

Good atmosphere though.

15. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Kickboxing is a very collective term. Any sparring in Kung Fu is usually termed as kickboxing. If the guy has been training for as long as he has I would imagine that he would be very good at it. Also, doing JKD, he'd probably be experienced in Muay Thai. After 34 years of training his Kickboxing should be pretty good. However, how he would compare to somebody who's actually trained kickboxing, I don't know.

Em

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

no jkd is not kung fu

and jkd is a little harsh if she is just looking for fitness

17. Bassmonkey

well he actually teaches kickboxing not JKD......so god knows what he is actually teaching.

18. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

19. Emil

Emil Valued Member

My advice to you is to find a kickboxing sxhool if you want to learn kickboxing. If you want to learn JKD, go there. If not, go somewhere else.

Em

20. Bassmonkey

Alright SKC, cheeky :)

Well as i said previously i dont want to learn kickboxing im quite happy in what i do, was just checking this out for a friend. I just wondered if it is possible to teach kickboxing if you have all the other types of experiance but never done kickboxing.

Thanks to all anyway

C60