Opinions on Doce Pares style/complimentary styles

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by SifuJason, May 18, 2007.

1. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Hello all,

So as part of my training over the years, I have learned bits and pieces of the Doce Pares style of escrima, as it is incorporated into Wun Hop Kuen Do (the art I study). This is a result of my Sifu, Al Dacascos, studying under Gm Cacoy Canete over the years, and my Sifu's own long history of FMA training.

My questions are:

1) what is the general opinion/view of Doce Pares in relation to the larger FMA world.

and

2) I am currently trying to seek out more FMA training in my area (which is not easy). If I can't find someone more experienced than myself in Doce Pares, what other styles would you all recommend that would mesh well with it.

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

The thing I would do is ask myself if I want to strike sticks or learn an aggressive form of FMA

Or a little bit of both.

To be honest the amount of controversy among FMA is more than other arts I believe. This unity thing is jest.

I have probably done and participated in many more arts of different styles than most here, my years of being involved with or around has been a very long time. I was involved as a teen (I am 65 now). The USMC, as a LEO, and as a citizen, just playing/practicing.

It is all chicken they mention but with different flavors, true but find an older and wiser man to teach you, IMHO.

I like several for different reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lameco_Eskrima

This is a good one.

Gary

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

doce pares is one of the largest and oldest fma organizations around. it was founded by 12 maestros of 12 great styles.

most any fma with old lineage would be complimentary. barring that, most any fma is good.

the key is studying fma.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I agree here... :eek:

Gary

5. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

And finding it...

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Jason,

My instructor will be in your area at the end of July doing a seminar $100 for two days. Would you like some information about it?
    If so I can send it pm.

IL being a large state you might have to travel a little I am not sure about your location.

His, Downer Grove 60515

Gary

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

there's a study group in north raleigh. click here for details.