Opinion on instructing 2 year old Indian student?????

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kenpoguy, Sep 22, 2005.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

K guys, here is probably the toughest teaching experience I have ever seen or come across teaching. A 2 and a half year old indian student came with his mother for a free demo lesson. About two minutes into the lesson began to think that maybe this 2 and a half year old didnt even speak english. Then again, most people that age are just starting to. Now I have taught students, this young, both American and non but here was the problem... He was terribly behaved(terrible 2's I suppose), and was either shy and not talking, hiding behind his moms knees, or screaming and running. Now i tried enforcing discipline to a degree(but being as how it was his first lesson, I felt it to be the wrong time to get angry or yell), and his mom did whatever the son wanted her to. This including buying him candy out of a machine, taking off her shoes, following him onto the mat in class, holding him, etc. At one point, I suggested, that so long as the mom was confortable, perhaps she should try stepping breifly out the door to make him focus. He chased after her and let out blood curling screams. Here is why I dont think he spoke english... The mom had a thick accent, all I heard him say(the few words) were in Hindi, He would on occasion be able to mimick a move I tried to show him, and would let me move his arms and legs. We took him down to watch a group class and he uncontrollably ran around. Today after telling, a Hindu friend of mine what happened, and hoping to get his input on the matter he told me this.... He told me that most indian parents are adamant about refusing to teach their kids english, so that they will never forget their foreign language. The kids learn english as school progresses and they are around other kids and adults. Whats everyones input on this? Thanks... And I'm hoping my instructing ability isnt critisized or if it is, is critiqued legitimatly. I see no reason to make me a "horrible instructor" on the fourm, for not being able to fully control a first time, not even three year old hindi speaking male.

2. Ricree101

Ricree101 Valued Member

Honestly, a two year old seems really young to be starting martial arts. Have you had students thins young in the past? If not, you may want to reconsider teaching him. At that age, even an extra year can do wonders in terms of maturity, and from the way you described his behavior, teaching him may be more trouble than it is really worth.

3. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Two years old?

Dude, he's still a baby. His training regime should be along the lines of patty cake, ring around the rosy, learning to talk and share and maybe counting from one to ten.

He's got years to go before he's ready for martial arts. Six or seven years from now send him to a judo school. But let him be a toddler while he's a toddler. He, his mother and you will be a lot happier.

4. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

This is pretty much my opinion on the whole thing. I think it is unusual, though not ridiculous for the mother to want him to take it. I was intitially told he was over the age of 3. Again, though a bit small, the age diference is still great. I have had kids train this young(not hardcore training by any means, more for the sake of having fun and interacting with other kids). Basically guarenteeing to the parents that theyll have fun and get exercise. It WAS a childrens class that I sat them through, where there was one 6 year old. Going back to my earlier point, I do have a problem with yelling at a child that young, when chances are he has no clue what it is he is even doing. Basically at the end of the lesson I told the mother the truth that...Assuming that his behavior doesnt change over the coming months or next couple of years, then he'd probably be more ready to come take lessons, but at the moment I wouldnt really try to push it too hard. Although again, when you have a mother come to you, badly wanting her kid to behave better, you dont exactly want to throw them back out on the street. *from a buisness perspective, if you do that they'll surely end up going to a different Mcdojo type studio, where they truly are out to earn a quick dollar
    Also from the Hindu philosiphy, the parents do literally push their kids into whatever it is they want. Growing up, I knew many foregin kids whos parents forced everything onto them. Grades, activities, everything...Overall I do not think he is too young, but at the same time doesnt yet have the mentality. Each kid is different, and what one kid may do another cannot.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He's just much too young isn't he? Maybe the odd exceptional child could manage at that age but I honestly can't see it.

I won't teach under 8, and even then I think that's perhaps too young.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Mitch

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry, but this just seems absurd.

2 years old?!?!

Give me a break.

You're partly to blame for even entertaining the thought. :bang:

7. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

I must agree with the others, Two years old is just far too young I mean some children that age can't even walk properly or go to the toilet. Personally I advise you not to teach him and tell the mother maybe it would be best to bring him back in a few years. If I was an instructor and had a jounior class I wouldn't take anyone under the age of 5 for obvious reasons.
    Anway what you do is up to you but reply back with your decision,

All the best

Mike.

8. tinit

tinit Valued Member

i duuno 2 does seem s a tupid age but if he has went to the lesson ofhis own accord then there wmust be a glimmer of intrest and curiosity but if he is running round like the little kid he is your just gonna have to either start an all toddlers class lol or get rid:p

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Far to young to be training.

10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I can't speak as an instructor or about the language barrier, but I do have a little boy who's two and a half so I thought I'd chime in with my opinions.

My son's fairly bright (if I do say so myself) but I know for a fact that when I tell him off for doing something wrong, he doesn't always understand why, just that daddy's not letting him get his way. His language abilities simply aren't developed enough. Also, any kind of enforced discipline (we're talking in a MA sense here) at that age is a bad idea, IMO. Kids that young simply don't understand *why* they should make an effort. I think it's a case of they don't understand the whole concept of "pain now = gain later".

I think a kid of that age is better off getting out into the fresh air a lot, running about fields and learning to play on the local slides and roundabouts for their physical development. Also, you'd be doing yourself a favour if you set a minimum age of somewhere around 5 - 7 for attendance at your classes.

Just my 2½p worth. ;)

11. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

I wouldn't teach such a young student. I wouldn't teach under 6 years of age, unless the kid is REALLY exceptional. Too young IMO for MA.

12. KingRat

KingRat New Member

In our club, we don't take under 6's. Sometimes even that is too young. (It seems at times that with some kids, the only discipline they get is in the lesson.). Personnally, I would say that 8 is a better age. As far as the language difficulties go, there is noway you can be blamed for those problems.

13. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I don't think its the issue of the age so much as its the issue of training in a formal class environment. If a young child of lets say 4 wanted to train, then i think one-to-one instruction would be the best bet becasue it is neccessary to invest alot of time to teach younger children-certainly more than with older people as children of that age tend to not be as co-ordinated or find it hard to focus for long periods of time. Many great MA masters have trained from a young age with their parents and benefitted greatly from a solid foundation, which they can carry into older age.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Best MA training for a 2 year old

Personally, I will train my 2 year old in martial arts, but not in the way you are thinking. I would let him WATCH me train. I think the best thing you could do for the kid, if his parents REALLY want him to learn martial arts, is to teach THEM martial arts, and let them practice it at home. In my opinion, he would just ruin your lessons and take time away from other students because you would be spending the whole time chasing a toddler around.

If the parents are so interested in getting him into martial arts, they should learn a bit and practice it while he's around. That way, he might pick up the idea, or try to imitate his parents a bit (which is the best you can expect at this point).

I don't have kids, or much experience with them, but these are my 2 cents.

15. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

2 years old ??? Come on man you've got to be kidding me...

16. jess869

jess869 New Member

refuse to teach him, just tell his mother that 2 years old is too young. seriously 5 year olds are hard enuf to teach. im sure theres a law or sumfin saying no under 4s or w/e. or maybe i made that up..... either way pretend there is...

17. Enter The Bacon

Enter The Bacon New Member

I agree with the general consensus in this thread.

I have 3 kids who are currently enrolled in MA - the youngest being 8. I was a little apprehensive when he began his classes (he was 7 when he started). Even at that age, his focus would wander slightly and he would tend to goof around. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get a 2 year old to focus.

A bit too young, I think.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Unless she's going to pay you like a gazillion dollars, why would you want to teach someone that young????

19. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

thanks for your advice everyone, here are my closing comments on the matter...

I do agree it is young, but not always TOO young. In this case I see the child unfit(like most people his age) to at least perform even a small amount. Point being, this kid wasnt going to sign up to be a crime fighting, butt kicking, ninja turtle cloning machine. He didn't even know where he was, I dont think. His mom wanted to prepare him to become patient, aware, and discipline him. Again, I think it is too young. I'm going to make my own personal judgment call on this, but keep in mind that they literally are "money walking". I have always been a believer in treating clients fairly and not trying to rip them off, and I feel that they would not get their moneys worth from this, and it would be a waste of my time. I am not, however, the owner of the karate studio(although he clearly understood the situation)