Open Tournaments for ALL Kuk Sool Practitioners

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, Feb 19, 2013.

1. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Yes I did host them and I always spoke up to the Masters about the value of the seminars. Just having a meet and great is no a seminar. Besides the cost of the seminar to the students, a school owner had to either put the Seminar Staff up in a hotel or there own house. The hosting teacher did not get any moneys for hosting the seminars.

On the subject of ME being what in your words "so great and beyond your years" (thank you) I did not see it that way at all. The subject matter was almost never anything that was not taught in any "Good" KS school. The students did not get "NEW" information just rehashing the old. This is what they pay a regular tuition for. Masters and Grand Masters are just people. They are not better than anyone else. They just hopefully have more knowledge than the lower ranked.

So paying someone just to show up and "Grace Us" is (in my opinion) NOT a good value. If the seminars had been different each year and not over the "Testing Curriculum" that they are being taught by their instructor, then they would have more value. Yes, VM there was some value to certain testing students that did not want to travel to have their first or last BB Test. It meant that they did not have to leave home.

But when someone charges $350.00 or more for 1st Dan and then is told they have to go pay to go to Houston, TX to test and let's think... airfare, rental car, hotel, food, misc.... it adds up. So the WKSA does provide some value in their summer seminar circuit. But for non testing students it was not a good value in the opinions of my students and myself.

I hope that the WKSA seminars have changed for the better. My seminars that I give are not over testing requirements. They are ENERGETIC, INFORMATIVE and most important FUN! My goal is to make the students crave for more. TEACH US MORE! HELP MAKE US BETTER! :evil:

2. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

Just as I expected. Always complaining about all the things the WKSA did that didn't meet your expectations. But in your disgruntled state, your students end up with virtually no events...and if they do, these non-KS tournaments are seen as unfair to KS folks.

Complaining about airfare, hotels, food, car rentals when going to HQs...LOL. That is more a function of poor strategy on your part...as I think the location where someone opens up a school is part of the risks taken by each schoolowner. Do you think students at Clear Lake pay for airfare, hotels and car rentals?

Have a school near HQs and you mitigate costs for your school. Have a school in the boondocks and expect costs associated with travel to increase. Complaining about this cost when the association actually helps to limit your costs by putting together a seminar circuit seems ungrateful. Did you have to pay for the airfare, food and car rentals when visiting Masters came? Sure, you may have subsidized the housing and some meals here and there but expecting to get paid for hosting a seminar seems even more ridiculous.

3. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

VM, there you go again. I am not complaining I am stating facts. I have my opinions and since this is a type of discussion, I wanted to let you know where I stand. If a city of 600,000 residents and there connective cities added to that "boondocks" I fell lucky to live here. I guess where ever you live must be a major metropolitan area of over 1 million residences.

Strategy of living where I want and not living near a "WORLD" headquarters is just fine with me. On the subject of Clear Lake: I know for facts that they have the "WORLD" Championships each year or at least the TEXAS tournament. They do not have to fly, get a hotel or rent a car. They can sleep in there own beds and still attend the event.

Oh and yes for certain Masters we did pay for car (driving them everywhere) and Food, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! sometimes even the next day because they they had no where to go the next day. Airfare No. But really think about it.

When we had Daniel Arca Inosanto come in for a seminar, all we had to pay was the seminar fees. It lasted well over 5 hours and everyone learned and had fun. No local instructor were required to teach. In fact the local instructors where feed by him.

I really think you just think badly of all the X-WKSA folks. Well I think personally that the WKSA still has some very good Masters and Instructors but allot of them need more guidance. Again just my opinion. So enjoy your life VM.

Since that is done with let's get back to the subject at hand.:evil:

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Nope, I gotta weigh in here. I don't know who came to your seminars during your WKSA years Tulsa, but that has not been my experience. First of all the burden of the Masters coming to visit has always been IMO small peanuts compared to the information and experience of the seminar. In the early years they brought their own food, they would always cook and clean up after themselves.

As far as the training goes the school owners always got extra attention either before or after the seminar, and having the founder of the art personally attend each seminar is very rare. Just goes to show you how different people can have a different opinion about the same topic, I guess.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  5. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

OB1, I wish it was that way. When other school owners that are higher ranked than you came to them, and since I was the lonely low ranked owner hosting the seminar. I was totally put on the back burner. The Higher ranked Black Belts that did not have schools and the ones that did but did not hold seminars that year got the attention and extra training.

It is all about how you look at it. Why did I pay out my pocket to let others come and train in my school that did not give me any money? Why did I let other Black Belts come and take the attention away from from students and myself? Why? Because that is basic RESPECT!

I would have loved to have had the experience that you had. So, since I am no longer in the WKSA, the Seminars I give I make sure that they are ran like I would have liked them to have been. I always let any School Owner come for FREE.

added information.... Just FYI: I was told that each year that GM Suh came to your school you needed to have a gift for him of some kind. Key to the City, Some kind of civic award, TV or Newspaper journalist to do a story on him, or actually a gift. I even had Masters take a sword that was made for me by a student of mine and he made it sound like it was expected of me to give him what ever he wanted. Respect is one thing ... worship a man I will NOT DO!:evil:

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I've been there, I sympathize with that scenario.

Yea I remember we use to get a politician to give Kuk Sa Nim a key to the city every time he came to town, he finally said why do people do this all the time, I have too many, I have no place for them... As far as a Master taking your sword that wouldn't have happened in my world that's just wrong. I get the animosity now.