Open-toed shoes?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Kinjiro Tsukasa, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

For Tai Chi class, I usually wear a pair of soft, almost-smooth-soled sneakers, which work out pretty well. Because of a toe problem (doctor's appointment later this month), I need to wear open-toe shoes, at least temporarily, and I'd prefer not scissoring out the fronts of my sneakers.

Does anyone have any experience with practicing Tai Chi in sandals, or other open-toe footwear? I need something with halfway-decent arch support, and that will stay on my feet (and not come off during kicks, for example), and something with not too much traction, as I don't want to stick to the floor. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Have you considered barefoot? I've never liked open toe footwear, so can't offer anything helpful there.

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Cloudhands beat me to it..:p

Except in the winter, I always do TaiJi barefoot, both indoors and out. Highly recommend it.

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Barefoot (or socks only) is definitely my preference for practicing at home, but at the place where we have our classes, the floor is so hard! Ouch! :eek:

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

there's those socks with the grippy/paddy type stuff stuck on the bottom ?

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I'll send you some of my old feiyues - almost all of them have holes in the toe area!

Alternatively, toughen up! All hardship is advantage in disguise!!!!!!!!

7. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Sounds like a good idea; think I'll check them out.

I will (ouch!) try to (ouch!) keep that in mind (ouch!) :D

8. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

One of my teachers has a DVD out, in which he demonstrates Taiji form and applications whilst wearing sandals.

9. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Either they are too tight or too slithery.

I usually wear just socks and never came around too hard a floor. I know too rough floors and too cold floors, though. :)

Really, open-toe shoes mean a less firm grip. That's a fact. You might try sandals with socks, though, that might help to some degree...

10. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Birkenstocks

11. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Just go to a shop and try some sandals on and see what they are like for taiji movements. You should be able to do this with out looking like a loon! try the leg stances, pivots etc. There should be something out there to suit your needs.

Or get a REALLY cheap pair of sneakers and hack away. A bit wasteful but there are plenty of cheap deals out there I'm sure.

I personally think socks and sandals are a crime!

12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

{{Looks down at feet. Uh-oh.}} :D Actually, I'm wearing fake Birkenstocks with socks. These shoes are very comfortable, but I think they would fly off my feet in any of the turns or kicks.

I found a pair of sandals at home that I'll try -- very lightweight, rubber-like soles, and they'll stay on. I may get laughed at a little in class, but I don't mind. :D

13. apprentice

apprentice Valued Member

If they don't work, I found in karate that flat squared-off sandals that have a criss-crossing strap are more comfortable and have a better hold on your foot than regular parralel-strap sandals.

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist