Open sports jujitsu training session

Discussion in 'Event promotion forum' started by bigreddog, Jan 30, 2016.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I’m reaching out to see if anyone wants to attend the open training session for the GB Sports Jujitsu team on March 13th in Dunstable

This is a three hour session mixing drills, fitness and sparring under WCJJO sport jujitsu rules*. Any student over 16 is welcome to participate – the team is structured by weight classes and there is a women’s team as well. The sessions are friendly, informal, and dedicated to improving skills and led by our coach Paul Grant– all a fighter needs is a willingness to give it a go and a good attitude!

The GB team has been successful over recent years fighting in locations such as Geneva and Las Vegas; our objective is to build a strong team to enter the World Championships in Australia in 2017, and so we are holding open sessions to encourage people who haven’t tried sport jujitsu rules to give it a go. We will hold sessions bimonthly in 2016 and monthly in 2017, and generally rotate them around the country to ease the travel burden.

If you or any of your students want to take part or would like more information then please contact me by pm

(As an alternative, if you have a venue and enough fighters interested in trying sport jujitsu, we can arrange to bring a few of the squad to you for a taster session)

*Sport jujitsu rules include continuous striking, takedowns and groundwork, over 2 x 2min rounds. Fighters wear hand, shin and foot pads, and compete in a gi. Striking is legal to the head or body with punches and kicks (with kicks to the outside thigh as well) and must be delivered with controlled contact (i.e. touch contact). A wide range of throws are scored, and on the ground armlocks and strangles are permitted along with striking to the body. At competitions there is usually a grappling only division as well, held under rules similar to BJJ competitions.

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just to let other members know, I attended this today and it was a fantastic albiet physically gruelling experience. All the lads there are top notch guys and it's very welcoming - great atmosphere dedicated to improving peoples skills within the ruleset.

Anyone who can strike and grapple and wants a chance to compete/train in a ruleset that in itself is very fulfilling and/or could be used as a segway into MMA should really consider it. I had a great time and am definitely up for the next one.

Bigreddog is a top dude and you'll be made welcome. If you are in the UK you have no excuse not to give it a go - you won't regret it!

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Valued Member MAP 2017 Gold Award

I really want to try :/

4. Knee Rider

It's mint mate, really fun. Next one is Stafford I think so not unachievable by train for you. I went from Manchester to Dunstable today myself (I'm aware that's not quite as far but yanno :p )

5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Pleasure to have you along Knee Rider, and yes the more the merrier - 15th May in Staffordshire for the next, pm me if you fancy it

6. Knee Rider

Thanks dude :)

7. Pretty In Pink

I'm fighting on the 1st of May, I'll probably give it a miss :(

8. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

This sounds really good but i'm nowhere near :( anything like this in the South of England?

9. Pretty In Pink

A few mma gyms.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Interclubs at mma gyms would be the best bet

11. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Smaug - ping me a pm if you are interested. Next one is in Staffordshire, but planning another one in June or July somewhere southern. Where are you based?

12. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

All those rough boys with their shirts off? How barbaric! :)

Lot of our guys have done MMA - the controlled contact and the gi make this a bit different, but lots of crossover. Good first step if you are interested in multirange combat, but not ready / willing / able to go full contact.

For example for me it's that I've reached an age where concussions aren't part of the plan, but if you are BJJ guy it is an interesting way of working some stand up into the mix without getting battered

13. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Cheer people- anyone know of any mma gyms in surrey that are any good?