Only train once per week, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jms137, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jms137

jms137 New Member

Ha ha, "once per week"!

I'm now addicted to Judo and going twice per week, tuesday and thursday, and trying to find some training on Sunday as well because thursday to tuesday seems like a lifetime until I can go play judo again!

john

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

3. Yeah, you can quite easily get results in one training session a week. For 4 years i went to judo once a week as there was nowhere else to go and do Judo! I then stopped for a year and a half. I started back on October 14th 2004 twice a week (2.5 hrs in total) and recently got my green belt (6th KYU) in one grading. NOVICE to 6th in one grading with 2.5 hours a week. Work it out. :D

4. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

Based on my experience I would say Yes and No- you can definetly learn stuff so don't let that put you off.

YES- You can definetly progress- my experience was that I kept learning and did a grading within the first 4 months and jumped a few belts to a green and got good at using a small number of techniques. Learn one effective move each week and after a year you've got 52!!

NO- To really hit your potential, especially in a sport as technical and dependent on training partners as this- youve got to up the training to say 3 nights a week- The reason I stopped was cos I realised to get serious and guarantee the Black belt I had to do this- but this wasnt practical- and if I wasnt gonna dedicate to that then I should develop other MA skills.

5. Sorry, but I dont agree here mate. You will not have to train 3 times a week to gain your black belt. We have people at our club who train once a week and are working for their black belts (and pretty close, too). However, if you wish to seriously compete in tournaments etc, you will need to train more often.

6. sundownmich

sundownmich New Member

When I first started doing judo, I practiced my ukemi on my bed! :D Nice soft mattress, plenty of blankets and pillows.

7. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I just remembered that I posted on this thread. Little did I know, I would soon be going to the same club as you! So how's your judo doing now? I haven't trained at Elswick in a while.

8. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

Norm,

Im sure its possible to do it on 1 wk a night- as I say in my post I was making v.fast progress on this.
    However, I understood that to guarantee the belt I would have to fight 5 dan grades in a row and win all fights by ippon - something I figured would require you to get yourself in devasting form to complete- Is that not the case then- are the standards watered down??

9. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

The form for Dan grading in JudoScotland, must be fairly similar to BJA is that you must either beat ten fellow 1st Kyus with Ippon, this can be over as long a period as you need. you could win 1 fight at 10 tournaments for example.

Or you can do a line up at a grading, you get a line-up once you have beaten two fellow 1st Kyus during the standard grading fights, if you do this then you will be given the chance to fight 3 more 1st Kyus consecutively, if you beat them all you get your 1st Dan there and then as long as you pass the Theory.

Whoever told you about beating Dan grades to get your 1st dan is either wrong or with a strange judo organisation.

K

10. jms137

jms137 New Member

Hi Joe,

Yeah haven't seen you at Elswick in a while. Are you training Judo elsewhere or just doing the wado ryu?

As for the once per week thing, i think it's possible to make progress like that. However, I've upped to 1+1/2 times per week. (i.e. 1 x wk one, 2x wk two, etc).

j

11. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

It's goju ryu that i do actually :D

I've just been missing judo because I injured my back the last time i was at elswick, but i'll be back there next week. I've been training at the college with Doug and Joel etc. which is where i started.

12. ^^^BREKDOG - he got it :p ^^^

Isn't it done on points, though? Where you need "x" points which can come from grading ippons, or tournament top 3 placings?

13. Captain_Coward

Yeah i gave a basic explanation above, it is done by points, you get 10 points for every Ippon win at either a grading or a BJA 3 star tournament. And you get 7 points for every Waza-ari win. If you score a Waza-ari and lose you get nothing i believe though this has never happened to me so i am not entirely sure.

The tournament thing is slightly different, for Group 1 tournaments, the Olympics or Commonwealth games etc. you get 50 points for winning it, this seems really stupid to me, if you can win the olympics or the commonwealth games i am fairly sure you can get your 5th Dan from national tournaments but that is an aside. You also get 35 points for silver and 20 for bronze.

Now acummulation of the points is pretty complicated, because you need less points if you have had your belt for over a certain number of years, OR if you are over 35 for men or 30 for Women.

Better than me explain it here is the BJA syllabus for everyone to read at their leisure.
    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/development/documents/BJADangradesyllabus.pdf

K

14. Thanks mate. One other thing I always wondered about...

You can only take gradings one calendar month after each other, right?

How about one on the 30th September and then another on the 1st of October (just examples)? :Angel:

15. Captain_Coward

You could do that. Not a problem
    You can only enter one grading a month, which means in effect you can only move up one grade a month, however as soon as you have your grade you can start accumulating points to your next, so you can enter as many tournaments and competitions as you want each month.

K

16. Cool. How many points are required for lower belts out of interest? :D

17. Captain_Coward

None - from White to Red
    None - Red - Yellow
    None - Yellow - Orange
    20 points - Orange - green
    20 points - Green - Blue
    30 points - Blue - Brown
    100 - Brown to 1st Dan

K

18. Umm...red? :confused:

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Depends on the system. BJA is judged by examiners up to 1st kyu. When I took my gradings, there wasn't any fixed number of points required to go up a grade, and double grading was possible. I went straight from 3rd kyu to 1st kyu by winning my fights on the day.

20. Captain_Coward

The System i am referring to is SJF, or Judo Scotland. It is affiliated with BJA and the gradings are BJA from 1st Kyu upwards.

K

As for the Red belt it was introduced as a way of showing a basic understanding of judo it is normally awarded after a couple months. You are asked to demonstrate a couple throws and hold-downs and maybe break-falls i believe, can't actually remember what i had to do.