Only train once per week, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jms137, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jms137

jms137 New Member

Hi

I'm considering giving Judo a go, but will most probably only be able to train one night per week.

Is it possible to progress at all with this level of training? I'm not looking to train mega-seriously, just to get some exercise and try a new martial art, have some fun, learn a few techniques. However, I probably would not go if I know I will never advance even a little, and start finding that every weekly session is just like starting over again..

Thanks

John

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes.

3. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

Yep, I'd agree with Yoda. I started once a week. Granted I do more now but it all helps and if you work hard you'll progress just fine. Enjoy it!

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I can only train 1 night per week at the minute too, its worth it....... speaking of which, I better run, training starts in 15mins!!

:D

5. mystererae

mystererae Valued Member

It's definitely worth it, especially if you can manage to practice on your own and such.

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

A little tricky to practice judo on your own until you're quite skilled at solo uchi-komi though... Even then it's still not really the same as having someone there to train with.

In answer to the original question: yes. I got my brown belt in Judo having trained only once a week for a long time (admittedly I was training twice a week for a while coming up to the grading, but that's still not much really!)

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Something is better than nothing, but you'll have to work really hard on your own.

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Judo has a quite fast lurning curve too. The best think I can think of is train 2-3 times/week for one or two months (if it's possible) and then when you get the hang of it start training 1nce per week.

You'll gain a lot more this way IMO.

9. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I just do one night a week due to time, I still find myself making a steady improvement. I really can't imagine doing judo on my own, but then I'm still a novice :D

10. jms137

jms137 New Member

thanks guys, it's great to know others have trained just once per week and made progress. I'll give it a go and see what happens!

john

11. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

most people start on one class per week and then if they enjoy it they move to more.

Its the best way to start, go for it, you won't get swamped with too many tecniques or jargon.

K

12. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

I only train once a week as well. Progress is slower but I'm in no hurry to bag belts - I'm in it for the MA. On the plus side, training once a week gives the body time to recover for those of us who are judo "masters" (that is, old gits over 30)!!

13. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

yup very true, recovery time is always useful. If you are wanting to do a bit more you can always read one of the many quality Judo books available in your lunch hour. Its not the best way to learn but you can always pick up a few things from them.

K

14. bcbernam777

bcbernam777 seeking the way

better than no training

Training only once is still better than not training at all, just absorba as much as you can from the lesson and try to spend that week getting it down.

15. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I do it twice a week, but only for one hour each time, which isn't a lot, but I'm still really enjoying it, and am entering a competition at the end of this month. So I'd say, go for it, once a week is better than nothing.

16. Lucius

Lucius Valued Member

Go for it. Something is better than nothing.
    As a recent Judo convert myself, I confidently predict you'll love it and be hooked within a month!
    Enjoy! :D

17. jms137

jms137 New Member

ta

thanks guys.

I did my first Judo lesson last night in Newcastle (UK). I really enjoyed it. I DO think it is worth going even 1 time per week. I learned a couple of techniques last night which took 5 minutes to learn but will last me a lifetime (a kind of strangle where you cross your forearms and grab each side of the collar and squeeze and a choke where push in and up under the adams apple). These techniques are so effective I would have been unconsious in about 5 seconds if I hadn't tapped out.

I originally thought Judo might hurt less than boxing... but now I'm not too sure. Throws hurt!! The impact of being thrown is really quite tremendous. I really must learn to breakfall properly. If I can find a bit of park/grass with no one watching then that is what I will practice.

The ground fighting looks like fantastic fun, too.

The club is good because it is a fun, mixed sex, mixed age atmosphere. I think I will enjoy that better than going to a club full of ultra serious wanna - be types.

cheers.
    john

18. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Dont worry about people watching......tear on in....start throwing yourself about and no-one will say a word to you....I guarantee it! :p :D

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The throwing stops hurting so much after a while as the impacts condition your body to take more and more force. Can't be a bad thing really! :D

20. jms137

jms137 New Member

it should stop hurting once i start breakfalling properly.
    i also think i was way too tense before and during the throw because i was anticipating the impact. hopefully after a while i should get more relaxed.