Online Mentoring

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by donb, Sep 8, 2007.

1. donb

donb restless spirit

there you go shooto, it's just a url. It would have been great to train under and with the "bakbakan group". I still remember my bruises when some of the members would visit our gym for a workout. We had close door sessions then and anything goes, and one of instructors of my school was a member so it was fun. They didn't really beat me up, they just taught us well.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

actually, if i remember correctly, master topher is in san diego nowadays.

3. donb

donb restless spirit

yeah, and bakbakan has school in new jersey, which is only 15 hours drive from where i live. i might do a 3-day weekend to check it out

4. depensaseguidas

depensaseguidas New Member

Hard to find information of the Saavedra Lineage and Methods

Originally Posted by Pat OMalley
    Well if you are in Cebu in late June next year I will quite happily introduce you to the people at the DP HQ. Your family started that group. Also you will have to meet the San Migeul and Balintawak seniors as you will find much of your families influence and style within these groups.

May I suggest you also contact Master Ramon Rubia who is in the USA he may also be able to help you

Best Regards

Pat

Hello donb,

If you get the chance to go back to Cebu next year, I will be there to continue my research on some particulars. I will introduced you to Doring Saavedra's son and family along with the people who are really in the Saavedra lineage.

The Saavedra method is well preserved in the San Miguel Eskrima system that I propagate.The two Saavedra's you have mentioned have different specialty in the weapons based eskrima that they teach. Although, they still followed the same principles. One specializes in espada y daga and the other the single stick. One emphasized the blade the other pure stick fighting. But, it doesn't mean that the other one who does the stickfighting is not capable of using the blade.

You know it took me more than 5 years to get concrete information about the saavedras. How they are related to the canetes and other info. Hopefully, you can shed some light in their origins especially "Tatang" Ensong Saavedra. Do you have relatives in Leyte?

I have been to Laguna in Luzon, there are also Saavedras there. An eskrimador from Laguna, suggested that the saavedras were originally from there. It could be a possibility.

Email me if you have any questions about the Saavedras in Cebu City. I have a friend who stays in Arlington Heights, IL. How far are you from there.

Look for pictures of Doring's son and a last remaining friend of Doring who is around 88years old in a book I'm trying to finish called "TheMy Journal: A Personal Recollection of years in training and research of Eskrima in the Philippines". It has details of some of the topics discussed and has connections with the "Cebuano Eskrima: Beyond the Myth" by Tinni and Ned as I know the authors personally.

Mabuhay,

Magtutudlo Ramon Rubia, San Miguel Eskrima, USA
    NMODE-DSG, DOCE PARES
    kurbada@aol.com, sanmigeskrima@yahoo.com

5. donb

donb restless spirit

6. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

very cool. i'll be at that seminar, so maybe i'll meet you there.

tim

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

9. donb

donb restless spirit

10. Pat OMalley

11. Gladius

Gladius New Member

12. De Campo JDC-IO

De Campo JDC-IO New Member

with you of course....

13. Pat OMalley

Of course, everytime I visit the PI I need another month's rest to let my ribs relax and my face to stop hurting from all the laughing.

That in my opinion is another unique aspect that FMA has over the other arts, the ability to laugh at everything and with everyone whether your doing it right or making a complete hash of it.

None of this standing in a straight line with a serious face and no smiling and no talking and so on and so on.

Best regards

Pat

14. donb

donb restless spirit

I'm very impressed, you seemed to have adapted to the filipino culture well and not just the martial arts part. You're right, filipinos are fun-loving, easy-going people, and yet had developed one of the deadliest martial arts in the world.
    And if you add a few drinks and everybody is your friend/brother or long lost relative.

15. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Yes Pare cheers.... :D

16. Pat OMalley

Thank you Bro, I am a firm beleiver that in order to understand any MA system you also have to understand the culture and people who gave it to us, that way you undestand why they do what they do. So get the San Mig, Sig Sig and BALUT out we are having a party:D

Best regards

Pat

17. donb

donb restless spirit

I'll pay for the first 18 cases of beer if we do end up meeting in manila.

18. Pat OMalley

Well that's me sorted out for the first hour, but what is everyone esle going to have:p :D

Manila, Cebu?? any of those will do and I am sure if we are in the PI at the same time we will meet up Bro. And I will get the next 18 cases of San Mig

Best regards

Pat

19. Pat OMalley

Right Shootodog has to supply the Sig Sig and Balut as a penalty for us not being able to meet up last time:p

And I am sure we can get Red Bagani to supply the entertainment;)

Best regards

Pat

20. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member