Online Diet Trackers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Victoria, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I've just stumbled upon one of these programs which is unfortunately integrated into a forum I don't wish to join.

With these programs you can input your diet, your cardio and resistance training, your weight and measurements etc and it gives you quite nifty reports and charts of your progress (weight loss chart, BF monitoring), a detailed report of what you're consuming (nutrition reports) etc. You can add custom foods and workouts to the database too. I love these things!

So I set out to Google some more of these tracker sites and find a good one to use that isn't a) part of a forum or b) too basic and lacking handy functions.
    I've found www.fitday.com which does the job but it's so basic it's confusing me.

Does anyone use or can recommend a good 'free' online diet tracker?

Cheerstathnx :)

2. Victoria

Ok I've actually figured fitday out and it's not so bad, I'll stick with it unless I find a better one.

These trackers really are nifty, it's a godsend for me! I had no idea 49% of my calories today have come from fat :eek:

If you're the kind of person to spend a lot of time calculating progress and squirreling away figures and charts, then I'd recommend checking this out.

3. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

This looks great! Thanks a lot :D

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice one Victoria. Interesting. It's been on my list of things to do. Track my food intake more accurately. I never seem to be able to eat enough. I'm always hungry... I never say no to a meal or to a snack. I don't eat junk food. The really rare bag of crisps. I eat lots of roasted peanuts though. Hmm... I do eat copious amounts of rye bread toast and peanut butter. Below is my breakdown for today... though some of it may not be entirely accurate as my pasta portions are massive... a HUGE bowl.. normally enough for two people is normal dinner.

I train twice a day and I get in a protein shake or two which I haven't added here. And usually there are two espresso drinks a day. Today was only one. Interesting stuff when you see it broken down on a pie chart and into percentages... :eek:

Attached Files:

5. slipthejab

Here's the line item of foods that correlate to the percentage pie chart. Not all of them are exact... for example the pumpkin and the fetta were in a salad... so the amounts are a bit off. I guess I'd have to adjust that and go in and fine tune the numbers to really get accurate if I wanted. As I tear through a second bowl of spaghetti with shrimp and spinach I realize my amount stated on the list is way off. It's about 4 times that. :eek:
    On top of that I didn't feel full once today... It was in the back of my head all day that I wasn't eating right... I need to get my head around how the facts compare with the baselines for my age/heigh/weight/activity levels. Hmmm...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  6. Victoria

Impressive piece of pie! Mine looks in terrible shape and I haven't started on the wine yet :eek: Needs some serious work.

One thing I love is being able to add the custom foods. You can probably add entire meals under one heading too if you make it exactly the same each time, or protein bars, smoothies etc. Then you can change the serving size as you like and the nutrition values will adjust accordingly.

A tip that took me a while to figure out is if you want to backdate anything, click on that day in the calender then all the tabs will set to that particular day. Just make sure the calender is back on todays date before continuing.

The reports are great too, there's a lot of options there and the date they end at depends on the date selected in the calender (todays date usually, but if you want to see information from yesteryear just change the calender to an earlier date).

Unfortunately the help file is a bit vague but I think I've figured most of it out, it's pretty easy if you fiddle about to get what you want :)

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Fitday is awesome, most people haven't a clue what they're eating. I know I didn't until I saw all those pretty colours. Alcohol was definately a shocker first time that went in! Here's mine for today so far.

[​IMG]

By the way that's not really 12 cups of fish oil a day :D The units of measure, particularly the lack of metric ones are one of the down points of fitday.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Damn! How do I get the pie chart to save?

9. Gary

I just did the old school "prt scrn" thing and pasted it into mspaint :)

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

An average day at the moment.with the occasional (2 per week) glass of wine and maybe 2 bars chocolate a week. Im training 6 days a week at the moment, with at least 2 sessions Monday ,Friday ,Saturday and Sunday. I think I need to eat more.Thing is Im not hugely hungry.I need to be more scientific with my food!

Attached Files:

11. Victoria

Wow, the alcohol is an eye opener. I'm liking this site more :D

Lou you should check the "calories ate to calories burnt" report.

Another thing I like is how the site takes into consideration the basal calories and your general lifestyle :)

12. Gary

Why do you start with a purple circle? :D

Attached Files:

13. Victoria

That looks like my mum bending over :eek:

*ahem*

There's a rather large chunk of purple just after a few cans, it's surprising how bad alcohol actually is :(

14. slipthejab

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  15. Victoria

I'm still using Fitday and will be for the foreseeable future - this is great!

It's a massive help being able to actually 'see' where you're at. And it's very convenient being able to plug some figures in and get various reports and summaries at a click, saves a LOT of company work time I'd usually spend updating my progress sheets!