Online Blue Belt vs White Belt in Competition

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Spookey, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Recently, we were invited to a "Taekwondo/Karate" Tournament with a Jiu-Jitsu Division.

The Blue Belt complained about an "illegal pressure point technique" (Ezekiel Choke) and we couldn't get clarification so our white belt just played position the remainder of the match.

After the match, the Blue Belt advised he did the Combatives DVD to get his rank, so I assume he may have just not been familiar with the Scissor Sweep or Ezekiel Choke.

Without regard, there were some really nice people there, and since we didn't go in looking to storm, maybe we displayed some deficiencies from which they can benefit. We have plenty of educational material for our white belt as well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qnWgGzGJw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qnWgGzGJw[/ame]

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I am not a fan of 'online blue belt'. Makes me grumpy indeed.

3. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Wouldn't argue with you one bit.

We tried the "catching flies with honey" method my grandmother always referenced instead of a big "I told ya so" regarding online promotions.

Hope they can learn, maybe get one or two through our doors to see how training works without a DVD Player.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Out of interest, was the online blue belt any good at all? Had he benefited from the online lessons or was he no better than a complete novice?

(I don't have the knowledge to judge and he looked to be at a noticable weight disadvantage).

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

His original hip escape from mount was OK if incomplete, and the armbar entry from bottom was OK, but he didn't switch from the pendulumn when being stacked.

Some actual real teachers and some actual rolling will skilled partners will help.

The GA videos are actually really good, but only training from dvd is a flawed process.

Good skills from the white belt too!

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Mount escape was pretty solid. Everything else was meh.

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Both white belts looked like white belts. Good on the DVD Jiu Jitsu guy for actually competing rather than resting on Rener's assertions of his street readiness.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He did better than I expected an online blue belt would.

9. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

there was a decent weight advantage, and I agree they both rolled like white belts. The early half-guard retention from mount was smooth, and the armbar attempt not bad. Just unique to me as it was my first time seeing a "Technical Blue Belt" in person. Majority of the blue belts I've seen can handle a significant weight disparity against a white belt. Especially since the WhiteBelt was not "big boying" or using big athletic bursts.

My greatest surprise was getting swept and caught within less than a minute. Clarification, the Blue Belt trains at a CTC under a Certified Blue Instructor".

Guess I don't understand why someone would drive past a brown belt and a really purple belt (12 year purple) to train with a DVD Blue Bekt for the same or comperable tuition.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Do all Gracie JJ school's have to recognize these online belts when they come to an actual school as that belt?

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i dont think Gracie JJ schools have to.
    IIRC a combatives blue belt doesnt have a blue belt in BJJ or GJJ but in gracie combatives (so the marketing pitch goes).

12. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

BJJ

The term "Gracie Jiu Jitsu" as I understand it is a copyright/trademark secured by one small portion of the family. The remainder use alternate names "Ralph Gracie JJ" "Carlson Gracie JJ" etc. I doubt many of the Gracie lineage would allow their personal gym name to be attached to this...

I would think someone truly interested in BJJ would request to restart at white belt if they came to a gym where they constantly got rolled up by white belts (while wearing a blue belt).

Just my thoughts...

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

You would think he would start at white again especially considering most white belts with a couple stripes most likely will be giving him trouble.

Spookey do you live in a rural area?

14. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Online Blue Belt

I live in a well populated area of about 200,000 residence.

To me it comes down to doing the right thing the right way.

Personally, I own a Taekwondo school but love training Jiu-Jitsu. So when, I decided to dedicate myself to learning BJJ and making it available to my TKD students I went and found a BJJ practitioner to come in and teach (an established Brown Belt).

True to form there are those that divert the path. Instead of grinding out hundreds (and later thousands) of hours on the mats as a student to earn their rank, they take the online route.

Again, it would make more sense if there was no BJJ around, but we have enough here in town, and have more than plenty within an hour two drive.

15. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I agree about learning from the right people and putting in the time on the mat. Maybe this tournament opened his eyes a little and he will start training and rolling regularly with a gym.

I give him credit for competing and putting himself out there knowing he couldn't hide his ability and for testing himself.

May I ask if there is more to this story? Did you know this "technical blue belt" outside this tournament? Does he also train in the same taekwondo community?

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My Sifu always talks about the difference in attitude from the goal of getting your next belt/ sash level vs the goal of BEING your next belt/ sash level.

17. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

?

Not much of a back story....

Taekwondo school across town gained their "CTC" status a while back and posted the sticker on their door. Recently they hosted a small tournament and invited us. We didn't have a Taekwondo team available due to other obligations and short notice from the tournament director, but we noticed they have a "Jiu Jitsu" division and one of our white belts went to check it out.

There is no relationship with the school (good nor bad) as they have been very closed (organizationally), meaning they do not generally compete outside their small organization.

The other matches were not much to mention in that they were a bunch of white belts. All things aside (Army Combatives, BJJ, Online University, etc) a small handful of fresh white belts looks pretty much the same.

No animosity against anyone, just a notable mention as this is the first time any of our guys have rolled with a GU-CTC blue belt. Regarding rule discrepancies, we were rolling on their competition (as opposed to our normal BJJ format (IBJJF - NAGA - COPA, etc)