one touch KO. Rubbish?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by roninmaster, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

6footgeek wrote
    If you lived in the UK you would be draining my bank balance of around £200 in dentistry fees.

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Chemical warfare is a whole other topic.

3. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

I lol'd.

But to the point, I personally think that the one-touch KO could potentially be possible, because I've seen lots of videos on Youtube about Shaolin Monks harnessing their Chi to do all sorts of wild stuff.

Of course, this is only speculation on my part, as I really and truly know nothing about MA.

4. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Like what?

You'd be surprised how much pain the average person can take while in the right mind-set, no need for chi.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Less YouTube more training for you young man

6. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

Like I said, everything I've said is pure speculation.

In comparison to Youtube I consider Training a luxury.

7. Hannibal

You have to define chi first - and that usually ends up in the online equivalent of a pie fight

8. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Fair enough, I was just trying to introduce a bit of counter-thought to your belief that it's potentially possible to perform a "one touch KO's". We skeptics do that :p

Be careful with bringing up Chi here. Things get ugly fast.

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Check out Derren Brown as his no touch "ko" is about the best example going.Its no different to the guy who sells you something you don't want.He has got inside your head.

10. NotaMA

NotaMA Valued Member

So basically what you're saying is that this is a community chock full of martial artists and at the mere mention of Chi I could potentially be stoned to death.

I don't see how that makes sense. Since when was MA all Scientific rather than mystical and stuff?

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Since people got fed up of others thinking that ancient weapons and hokey religions meant a lack of rational thought.

12. Hannibal

Since always

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Same time as you started relying on antibiotics rather than incense to ward off evil spirits. Science is a method of inquiry about the physical world. Kicking butt and chewing bubblegum is part of the physical world. And science is all out of bubblegum.

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

That's right. Nothing better than tetracycline to ward off them evil spirits!

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Evil spirits, schmacteria, whatever. ;)

If I had the ability to rewrite the post I would say "Ever since you relied on antibiotics to combat bacteria rather than incense to ward off evil spirits." I'd feel dishonest editing it when you caught me out though. :]

16. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,including those on this forum.All I would say is don't let their extremely biased opinions stop you from exploring a subject that is very interesting.

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No, you haven't, any more than you've seen David Copperfield harnessing his mystical energies to do card tricks.

Not stoned to death, no. Asked for evidence, repeatedly. Any sort of evidence. The slightest shred of it. Any sort of theory, explanation, or anything.

If you do a little search you'll find one or two chi threads - that should give you an idea of the reaction such nonsense gets.

Since people wanted to learn what was effective rather than relying on non-existent mystical explanations for everything.

This is true. Being entitled to an opinion does not, however, entitle you not to be criticised when your opinion is as out there as crystal therapy or homeopathy.

Yep, our horribly biased opinions which require actual evidence as a foundation rather than stage trickery.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I agree with this.

Some people just have no interest in the mystical stuff, which is fair enough.

But the most convincing debunkers are those that have explored and can replicate those things believers claim as proof.

When people go on about meridians or wotnot, any doubt on my part is usually met with the classic "oh, well you have to experience it or you just won't get it". Then I can reply that I've gone through the lesser kan and li awakening and I still don't believe in chi, that can rock their world that bit more.

It also gives me the perspective to know which bits are useful, and what is purely useless, and come to my own conclusions about what is happening. I'm not one for throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

19. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Lilbunnyrabbit wrote
    Its a difficult one that leaves me scratching my head at times and I have practiced these arts for years.For the layman it is even more difficult to make sense of this stuff.This is a typical example.I would dismiss this demonstration as absolute nonsense yet the same woman carried out another demonstration on a Brtish doctor that defied explanation.This doctor was a sceptic and though all this chi kung stuff was complete tosh.Chow waved her arm over his and he couldn't lift his arm from the table.He had no explantion at all for what had happened but I don't think it was down to suggestion as she didn't say anything or make any suggestions beforehand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXhAMv7PDOA"]Dr. Effie Chow on Overcoming Obstacles with Empty Force Qi - YouTube[/ame]

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You don't need words for suggestion to work. It can work on the skeptical too.

Presumably this doctor had seen similar things work on others before?