one touch KO. Rubbish?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by roninmaster, Apr 22, 2010.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Looked to me as though the student in that video wasn't actually supposed to be knocked out. There seemed to be a bit of an "oh crap it really does work" reaction there.

The human body and brain can be switch on an off like a light as you say. And shockingly you don't actually have to hit someone very hard to knock them out. Other than the shock effect on nerves. Rapid movements involving the head can change the blood pressure. And there's also the issue of your brain bouncing around in there like a ball in a really small room.

Our bodies and brains are machines. And like all good machines they have mechanisms intended to protect them from harm. The ultimate protection mechanism is for the body or brain to shut down temporarily.

None of which makes what was seen in those videos real. But the potential for such things exists.

2. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Oh is this what he means?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTyTyizz1s"]X-Men 2 - Magneto breaks the plastic jail - YouTube[/ame]

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

the small circle guys are supposed to be from wally jay right?
    jay training with lee, jkd guys and emparado and kajukenbo guys and stuff... wouldnt expect a one touch knock vid from them...

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Well you know those JKD guys right Hannibal? :D

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've liked the Wally Jay stuff I've seen to be honest, looked pretty sensible to me. Still, there's no accounting for where else an individual instructor goes outside their normal training.

Mitch

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually we have a very senior SC guy in the JKDAA - he is big on fight and low on fluff from my encounters with him

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I did a seminar with Wally Jay maybe 30 years ago and he was interesting and based in JJ and Judo stuff. I don't know what happened but at some point he decided to pair up with Dillman on the seminar circuit and the results... well sadly he seems to have taken way too much of the woo woo on board. Too bad as he was an effective guy back in his day.

Just sayin'

LFD

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

That's interesting, maybe I've just read/seen the older stuff. Shame, his ideas on leverage etc made a lot of sense.

Mitch

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Oh wow,man. Wally Jay? That's depressing.

11. chuckdavid

chuckdavid New Member

thats not a one touch KO . thats one punch KO . and its normal . to KO someone you still need some kinda power even if its little.and a touch just wont do the trick

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The iron in your body is chemically bonded into the blood cells - we don't just have free floating atoms of iron bouncing around in our blood.

There's also barely enough to make a nail.

Your nerves transmit electricity across gaps between nerves using ions, this is probably somewhat different to the 'spark' you're imagining.

No it doesn't. If that were true then humans could not stand near superconducting magnets - the field would be too powerful - but we can. (Alright, so we are a tiny big magnetic, but if a giant supermagnet is considered safe for us to stand next to then I think we can discount magnetism in humans being important for any sort of one touch knockout)

Well I suppose you could take someone's energy by cutting their stomach open and removing the food before they have a chance to digest it...or with a blood transfusion where you carefully extract the sugars. It'd be harder to do once the sugars have been carried to cells though.

Actually thinking about it liposuction is sort of taking someone's energy.

Or were you talking about the airy fairy magical mystical kind of energy that no one can ever define, because if so I should tell you it doesn't exist.

As to taking someone's magnetism, no, you couldn't, and even if you could it would have zero effect.

So...someone's off balance and if you prod them in the right direction they go more off balance and fall over? What an astounding insight.

A punch is still a touch.

13. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Quote:

Technically, all mass is made up of energy. So if i broke your tooth with my ultimate strike backfist of barely controlled anger, I would be distrupting your energy.

Or actually draining you of it.

14. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

In the orignal clip the guy struck the carotid sinus,a very common showmanship technique but not very practical in real life.It works okay against someone who is very compliant and relaxed.When you strike this sinus the receptors in it send confusing signals to the brain which thinks it is dealing with an incident of high blood pressure so it automatically lowers the blood pressure resulting in a faint.Its a bit like striking someone full force in the chest and and "knocking them out" The blow interupts the vagus nerve and the subject faints due to low blood pressure.These are not concussive KO's but rather faints.Neither of these methods will work against someone who is pumped up with adrenaline so they are of little use in real life.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Why are there people in this thread pretending to be Magneto from the X-Men? That's just disturbing. Normal medical science is enough to explain one touch knock outs with out all this made up pseudo-science nonsense.

16. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

he he funny

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Bad science makes baby bunny cry. :cry:

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Put down the game controller :p

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

If you want to get technical, you are expending energy and imparting it into your opponent.

20. evva

evva Valued Member

I farted once and took out a whole room NO TOUCH involved.

I found it hard to replicate again though so no chance of doing the seminar circuit for big bucks