once i get black belt 3rd dan i will enter into kendo or the way of the sword.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by prodigy, Dec 6, 2003.

1. prodigy

prodigy New Member

I am 14 and so far because of longterm money troubles i haven't yet entered into any kind of karate schools.
    my goal is to get up to the fifth dan of blackbelt, and maybe further.
    once i get the 3rd dan i will practice the way of the sword.
    i will also practice with a wooden pole, or jo i think it is called. then continue my training up to the fifth dan of blackbelt in karate and after that i will practice some more advanced martial arts.
    questions?
    anyone have any similar story...

2. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

so you havnt started MA yet and your already thinking about what your going to do when your black belt?

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

For now Trunks, just get a good solid year or two under your belt and get back to us. Plans change ;)

4. prodigy

prodigy New Member

i will.i wish i started sooner. i wanted to but no one got me into it.
    do u think ill get up to 5th dan?

5. Van_the_cookie_man

Van_the_cookie_man New Member

Just give it your best and you'll find out. Likely if you're dedicated you will achieve a lot. Don't worry too much about time or jumping form art to art. Get a strong foundation in an art. Good foundation is probably over five years.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  6. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

if you keep at it and practise alot you will do really well

7. prodigy

prodigy New Member

i feel i have over bulked up my body with muscle and now my legs feel too heavy to kick high and my flexibility went down. i wish i knew a way to get more powerful without increasing in size.i think im going to get a sword in about 2 years. and this christmas i might get a wooden pole. recently i have practiced and it seems my kicks are alright, but still crap compared to alot of other martial artists' kicks. u guys think maybe i should do yoga or keep doing my regular stretches?
    if any of u ask me to i can post my pre-fight warmup.
    every day i stand on each foot alone for 2 min. 30 sec. do u guys think that improves balance?

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Get your ass to a good club and train HARD for the next 5 years -then we'll have an idea of your potential.

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

You're 14. You aren't overbulked, trust me. As far as strength training for flexibility and not size, cut the weights down and perform more repetitions, making sure to stretch before and after.

10. prodigy

prodigy New Member

well trust ME!
    i may be 14 but i don't look it.
    im around 6'2 and you'd think id be stretched out a little but my muscles are very big, hard and strong.
    my calves are big, my quads are amazing and so are my biceps.
    my biceps are larger than that of most adults, im known as the strongest grade 9 at my school and i am not fat nor am i even chubby.
    i have beaten many people such as grade 12's in arm wrestles and never lost.
    i started strength training when i was fairly young.
    i don't know why i did but i did.
    the only thing that even keeps me in the martial arts world so far is strength alone and some mediocre skill.
    sorry about the long reply but here is an example.
    i have a gym membership, and on "leg press" i do the maximum, which is 400 pounds.
    and i do reps of 16 with dumbells of 30 lbs weight.
    i think my body just improves reallyfast!
    huff!!!!
    yeah i guess you assumed i was just some over confident 14 year old but nah.

11. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Hey man, I remember being fourteen. If we all had as much enthusiasm and confidence as this kid, we'd be well better off.
    My sister just failed her black belt test, and there is no doubt in my mind that it was because she lacked that aggressive forward thinking "I'm going to be a fifth dan sword-master, arm wrestling champion body builder."
    Cheers to you kid-- just make sure you follow through and don't let yourself down.

12. prodigy

prodigy New Member

##!$$%$@
    stubborn mind!
    the sword, 5th dan stuff may or may not happen, alright, but when people like him have such set perspectives it really annoys me.
    im not some hulky freak but i am of quite over average strength and i have great determination.
    thats what fuels me.
    what im trying to say is that i can't let myself get too big without somehow increasing speed and flexibility.(by speed i mean punching, kicking, running,etc.)

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

400 pounds for leg press really isnt much but if that all the machine lets you do alot of reps. I can do like 500 or 600 pounds with ten reps. To get some speed I owuld suggest joining the track anf field team for your highschool, asuming that you go to highschool, and either become a sprinter or a thrower. Both give you explosive speed in your lower body and throwing will help you in using you lower and upper body together, which is really helpful for sword fighting. And when you lift try to push the weights up as fast possible with out hurting yourself, with light weights.

Al this is just my opinion ofcourse.

One questions why wait so long to start with learning swordsmanship?

14. versatilefightR

versatilefightR New Member

if you want to become an excellent martial artist, I suggest taking up 'plyometrics' It's used by many professional atheletes to become explosive in the muscles. basketball players do these exercises to jump higher, runners to run faster etc

15. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

plyometrics sounds familar.
    *thinks*

I think we used to do them ofr track back in day. but my old memory is failing.

PLease descrbe them if you would.

16. prodigy

prodigy New Member

about waiting to become a swordsman. i don't knoiw where to go.
    i live in toronto.

p.s.:
    it would be kind of cool for me to know sword skills and karate, like trunks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  17. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Trunks, start with some elementary streching, which you seem to have done, then goto yoga and dynamic streching. I have gone far with elementary streching,then after a while move on to dynamic streching. Also, dips and core exercise force some good flexiblitly to be learned by merely doing the exercise., Also, do yoga and yogic streches, they help alot.
    Back is important to be flexible, then move from there
    to shoulders and thighs
    then to calves.

Good luck with the hand to hand and the swordsman ship. and the Jo or Bo are good ideas. I would go with the Bo b/c it has a few more techniques and more general ones, but the JO hass some good ones too. if you learn the sticks and staffs you can move with most weapons. I would say,. short stick, Bo and nunchuk, if you know those, you can learn any weapon.

18. prodigy

prodigy New Member

well i live in toronto ontario canada and i don't know where to go to get taught theway of the sword.

19. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Look for "Iado." Toronto is a big city-- this particular martial art isn't everywhere, but you might luck out. If not, lots of traditional martial arts do weapons work, and the sword is pretty common. Kung fu sometimes works with broadswords and butterfly swords (and many others), depending on the school.

20. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

You'll only get there if you train hard & train well.

If you are like some of the lazy students we see, then there is no hope for you! You have to be committed to learn and work VERY hard.

Find a good club and be prepared for the sweat and the pain for a few years.

If you think you can do it any faster then its just a McDojo and I'd leave it for the kids ...