On the subject of Sodium

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Socrastein, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I didn't want to derail the thread on pasta with a tangent discussion on sodium, but I wanted to address your post and open discussion of sodium in general.

I'm not surprised to hear that you had more head rushes without it. Lack of sodium in the diet leads to a lower blood volume and it's harder for nutrients and oxygen to get around the body to where they are needed.

There's actually no good evidence that sodium intake negatively affects your health, be it by messing up your BP or increasing your risk of cardiac issues. That's one of the biggest, most unfortunate myths in the nutrition world, and many a people walk around tired, flat, and weak because they are chronically deprived of socium, which causes the body to also flush out tons of potassium and so you end up being deficient in both.

You can't have a lot of one without the other, as the body uses them to maintain an ionic balance between the inside and outside of every cell in your body. If you don't get enough sodium, you won't have much potassium and it works the other way to.

Ironically, everyone knows you should eat lots of potassium and keep your sodium low! This has no basis in the way the body actually works however. I suggest you say goodbye to head rushes and hello to pickles and soy sauce!

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Thanks Socrastein! Sorry for not replying, I only just saw the thread.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm all for a good amount of sodium... usually in the form of sea salt. So many different types and so many different flavors. Yummy.

Also great to use when making your own pickles. Pickled ginger, radish, carrots etc.

If you're training hard and you start to cramp up... a quick check on the amount of sodium in the diet usually sorts it out. It's usually a lack thereof. Along with other electrolytes.

But yeah couldn't agree more... sodium is bad for you is one more bad myth that's been sold to the general populace.

4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I get that without training hard. Usually in the spinal erectors. I always eat a crapload of salt before exercise to guard against that. Plus if I don't I usually end up with blurred vision and dizziness.

5. FirstAction

FirstAction Student of Life

I go with the theory that in normal activity, there is enough salt in food as it is (and in the process of cooking with use of sauces, spices and such) that you do not need to add salt to things.

However, in high physical exertion I increase salt intake.

On a side note, it is said by many experts, that in a survival situation, all the body really needs to function is salt and water. One ounce of salt can keep you alive for 9 days! (Ive not tested this and dont plan to)

If, in general, you keep a healthy lifestyle then I wouldnt worry about it too much.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sodium acts as an electrolyte in the bloodstream, it helps to balance the electrical signals your brain is sending out to your body. Too much and your BP goes up, you retain fluid and your kidneys slow down. Too little, and you can get lightheaded or actually faint because YOUR BRAIN IS SLOWING DOWN. Due to signals not getting to where they need to go. Kind of like opening 20 screens at once on your computer, the hard drive (your brain) doesn't exactly know which screen should get top priority. Well while your brain is doing that, your eyes are going into tunnel vision and you fall over cause your muscles aren't picking up the micro signals needed for you to keep your balance.

One of my sons has a condition where he has chronically LOW sodium levels, he can keel over in the middle of a sentence. Sort of like a diabetic keeps a piece or two of candy around, my son always has a little bag of salty pretzels nearby.

HEY, anyone need a medical column moderator I'll volunteer. I've put 30 years into the medical field now.....

7. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Lol not in my case. Less salt = more head rushes and dizziness.

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Just out of curiosity, what is the condition?

9. Blueberry

Blueberry Valued Member

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It has never been given a name other than chronically low sodium levels. He has a couple of other issues with his muscles that cant' be defined. The main one being, a condition that looks, walks, talks, and smells like muscular dystrophy; except his is improving with therapy (he actually takes none right now) and isn't getting worse as in MD.

11. LoSt eGo

LoSt eGo Undervalued Member

wow! love this thread! i went to the doctors months ago and was told that my chronic dizzy spells were from low sodium. anywho - i had no idea it was related to tunnel vision too. my philosophy was that sodium dehydrates you so dont eat any before you work out and just about every time i work out i get hella tunnel visioned and now i see why. thanks for the healthy info

12. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Same here. Going partially blind and almost passing out in kickboxing class was a regular occurrence for me until I started deliberately loading on sodium beforehand.