On Silambam

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Vijay arun, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

I am learning Silambam(staff fighting),the traditional martial art of Tamil Nadu in India for the last two months and I want to know whether anybody know about this art or any other staff fighting art?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I know about the European quarterstaff fighting, but that's about it. However, as to Silambam (always love that name) try the link below.

Silambam

3. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Tell me about European quarterstaff fighting.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Basically, you hit people with a heavy wooden thing. There's more to it than that, but that's about all I can explain online.

I'll see what I can do about getting pictures or videos, but staff-fighting is pretty universal.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Tell us about Silambam Vijay.

How traditional has it remained? Has it, like so many, been tweaked to fit what people perceive as "martial arts" i.e. Introduction of Kata & belts for example?

6. Vijay arun

Vijay arun New Member

Silambam has kept its tradition alive over the past 3-4k yerars even though the names have changed.In the beggining it consists of footworks somewhat similar to karate.After that it consist of 3 step,4 step spinnig pattern(actually 3house or 4house).Using it you can defend upto 10 attackers hitting u with various weapons including stones.Later it includes various strikes(adi),punches(kutthu),slaps(veechu) and fricitons(orasal).There are also other martial arts belonging to silambam school that includes surul kombu(spiral horns),maduvu(deer horns),katthi kutthu(dagger strike),val veechu(sword strike) and kutthu varisai(Tamil Nadu boxing) which can be rightly called as cradle of ancient martial arts.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  7. mahesh

mahesh New Member

Silambam

hi,

Nice to see that lots of people are comming forward to know about silambam, I am mahesh, 27 years old and i am doing my MBA presently in bangalore and I am the Secretary of The Karnataka State Silambam (stick-fencing) Association.( Karnataka Kolu Varasay Sanga). I have been learning about Silambam for the past 15 years, friends if any one wants to know about silambam pleas let me know, what you are intrested to know about silambam. I am ready to give my hole knoledge about silambam and Please do share your Ideas and knoledge about silambam.
    Note: The informatioan which I will be giving you will be based on what i have made research on it.

This is what i think.

what has been learnt is only a size of stone, what hast to be learnt is the size of world.
    Make silambam as your part of life and silambam will give you a healthy life.

8. mahesh

mahesh New Member

Silambam info

hi

Friends here is my new home page. where i have tryed my level best to explain about silambam. Its Under construction pleas keep in touch as it will be updated very shortly. Its the afficial web site for, The Karnataka State Silambam (Stick-Fencing) Association. Karnataka Kolu Varsay sanga. India
    www.silambam.in

mahesh