On Kata...and henka and adapting the art for

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I moved to Japan because I thought it was cool.

2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Something tells me there's a woman involved...

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

It's all a mystery to me, but I'm just really chuffed I worked out "TLDWR"
    I'll be smiling all day!

Thanks for that well thought out post btw stevenk

4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

As a martial artist, I don't think many people would uproot their life to move to another country and study and obscure art unless they were a bit more serious about it than thinking it was cool. I guess there are some who would though, so I stand corrected.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I didn't move to study an obscure art, I just moved to Japan because I thought it was cool. I picked up the art over there.

6. Please reality

Thanks for proving my point. I thought it was understood the first time I wrote it that I was talking from a martial artist's perspective.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

How are you a martial artist exactly?

You don't teach class, don't teach seminars, don't compete on any known platform. You're just a guy with a hobby.

Are you on a cultural visa for being a 'Martial Artist' ?

That's not the reason people move to Japan, it's because they think its cool.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know of people that moved there to study an art.

If I were to move there it would be for that reason, can't see another reason other than a good deal of money that would make me go. It'd drive me bonkers to stay there long term :D

9. Please reality

You miss your coffee?

Again, most people who study martial arts and did so before they came to Japan, moved here because they were dedicated to their art and wanted to be able to immerse themselves in it(at least the majority of people I have met here who do martial arts fell into that category). It's hardly cool, and if that's why you come, I doubt you stay more than a few years.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Are you trying to say that if you don't recieve payment for something, it must be a hobby?

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think this definition is fine:

Main Entry: 2hobby
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural hobbies
    Etymology: short for hobbyhorse
    Date: 1816
    : a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation
    — hob·by·ist \-bē-ist\ noun

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Oh they may say that, but in reality most people move geographies because there is a sense of general discontent with their current life and they think it would be cool to try something new.

Typically a catalyst is involved that goes beyond passion for a hobby, such as trauma. For example a separation from a partner, a sense of discord from work, a loss in the family.

People tend (from my experience) to stop traveling when the discord has been nullified. Whilst it could certainly come from an affinity from their hobby it can also come from many other factors. After a time it may simply be routine and a degree of fear regarding assimilation back to their old location that keeps them there.

To the point earlier regarding competiton platforms, let me try to rephrase it: nobody in your org is currently active in any sort of externally measured competitive environment, at any rate of notable success.

13. Please reality

Except we're discussing martial arts here, not most people who've been jilted or had a mid-life crisis.

So you aren't in my org?

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

My position is that Martial Arts is only a small piece of the puzzle, and not the deciding factor. The majority if the people I know studying martial arts and living in Japan did not leave behind a successful career to do so, they didn't have much to lose. They also didn't move with girlfriends or spouses other than a few exceptions who were Japanese. So they had 'nothing to lose'.

Why your question on org? Because I said 'your'?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  15. Please reality

I have met more than a few martial artists here who have quite good careers and who cam here for martial arts. I guess you meet who you resemble often. I think that those of us who consider it more than a hobby tend to have a different motivation and a bit more planned approach it seems. Though not in every case.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'm talking about the Bujinkan Residents. As a whole.

17. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Are we confusing terms.
    To me;
    a a person who teaches is a 'teacher' or 'business owner' they may also be martial artists in there own right.

A person who engages in sporting competitions is an athlete, they may also be martial artists, depending what their sport or other hobbies entail.

A person who practices a martial art is a martial artist, they may compete or not, depending if their art is too deadly :D

Is a teenage indian kid on his mom's computer a martial artist? That is the question....:)

18. Please reality

I wasn't.

Never seen Slumdog? Our call center is filled with geniuses.

It's basement dude. Mom!!!

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Guys you aren't martial artists.

Ninjutsu isn't a martial art, remember?

20. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. Carry on.