olympic weightlifters and Tom Kurz

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by conejoas, Oct 15, 2013.

1. conejoas

conejoas Valued Member

according to Tom Kurz, olympic weightlifter are the second most flexible atletes after gymnasts, is that true?

and the i am talking about lower body flexibility

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

maybe. who knows!

any reasoning that mr kurz provides to back up his statement? (AKA please post context to random question)

any reason this interests you?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't know, I think ballerinas probably outstrip weightlifters.

But his general point (that Olympic lifters are crazy flexible) is perfectly valid.

4. Mangosteen

it could be that "flexible people with an interest in strength go into weightlifting"
    im super flexible and so is my dad, yet his interest was ballet, mine was lifting

or it could be that "lifting from a young age develops flexibility", which is true of most elite lifters

chinese athletes in general are very flexible so not a good study population

5. conejoas

conejoas Valued Member

In his new dvd "flexibility express" he said that.

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Unfortunately, that's neither reasoning nor backup... I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but just because someone said something doesn't mean that it's true.

So, one more time, why does this interest you?

[it interests me too, but you asked first ;)]

7. Mangosteen

he gave no reasoning?

8. conejoas

conejoas Valued Member

Well he said something about that back in 1970s olympic weightlifters were the known for the second most flexibility of atletes after gymnasts.
    He said:" that because the sport puts great load on ones joint, that if they were not in the safest position they would be destroyed" he also talks about their low squats and "split jerk" and hip position. And back flexibility.