Olympic sparring rules, What scores?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Oldmike, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

With the new sparring rules and the sensors in the "socks" and chest protector, what scores?

Since the sock sensors are on the top of the foot, how could a back kick, spinning back kick or a side kick score?

For a round house to score, how precisely does the kick have to be placed?

What are the corner judges supposed to be doing other than confirming head shots?

No offense but I'd prefer replies from those that are familiar with this style of sparring as opposed to the usual "your style sucks', TKD sucks vs xyz" or "dud, General Choi rules!" or old guys like me who remember when only trembling shock " scored a point and men were men (unless they were in fact women)

2. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

From what I've seen all the usual kicks and punches to the body still score as long as they're drilled in hard enough for the sensors to register them.

I've not personally used to Daedo PSS yet so I can't help you with how points are scored with the bottom of the foot, or how precise roundhouse kicks need to be but the corner judges are there to add the extra point for any turning kick to the body as well as to score head kicks as you mentioned.

3. GerryR

GerryR New Member

First thing to be clear on is that there are sensors on the top of the foot, side and under the centre of the sole of the foot.

Scoring is very different to with 'human' corner judges. Players needs to train to land not just with sufficient force but also precision so that they get right bit of foot in contact. This means training with PSS not just competing otherwise its very tough.

It is possible to score with a side kick, back kick, inner crescent to the body as well as with roundhouse but the technique needs to be adapted to land the foot in the right position, fast double roundhouse kicks at 45 degrees to the body which often scored with corners judge won't on a PSS.

However my experience has been that for many players it is proving really hard to land effective scores on the body and so focus has shifted mostly to going after the head.

4. Werner

Werner New Member

Scoring:
    * Kick / punch to the trunk = 1 point
    * Turning kick (more than 180 degree rotation) to the trunk = 2 points.
    * Kick to the head = 3 points
    * Turning kick to the head = 4 points.

As for the "sock", there are two sensors on the wrist, one on the "left" and one on the "right" side. This means you have to have a "flat wrist" on the chest-guard. Both sensors must touch. At least for the Daedo system, there must be both "contact" AND "pressure" in order to score a point on the chest guard. That means you wrist must hit cleanly on the chest guard to score a point. No arm inbetween, no "sliding" up with the foot etc.

The degree of pressure can be controlled by the judges and are adjusted according to age/level of the classes. Only points to the chest guard with the wrist/top of the foot scores automatically.

As for the bottom of the foot, the pressure must be there, AND the judges must press within 1 second of the scoring technique hits. The same for the turning kicks and head-kicks. The judges also and the extra points for turning kicks.