Olympic Medallist in MMA

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Slindsay, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Utterly classic example of using a base art in MMA in my opinion:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjoMMpWUWKA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Valentine's Massacre (no-gi) - Ronda Rousey[/ame]

The initial catching of the kick isn't only straight out of one of the Judo kata but is also a great example of ato no sen or go no sen, attacking the opponents attack. The throw itself is well timed and shows good unbalancing (kuzushi) into entry and finish. The newazaza work is clean too with a nice follow up from the throw into newazza as she initiates the pass before she's hit the mat. Finally the arm-bar is an absolutely typical Judo one in terms of entry and finishing position.

Clip of Ronda Roussey in a sub grappling match, again a good example of how Judo can be used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nDxVjH885o&feature=player_embedded#!

2. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Lol you got your videos transposed. So sad that throw would have been hansoku make in a current judo competition

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Great videos, Im enjoying working through the other videos on the channel as well, thanks for the link!

4. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

There's a thread on the Judo Information Forum about Rhonda and how she has misused her judo skills by doing MMA, makes an interesting read.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I was skimming through that thread the other day and had to stop because it was making me really angry! If she wants to compete in MMA, she should be allowed to! The attitude that she is some kind of traitor to Judo is ridiculous. I can't believe how bigotted some people can be! :mad: :bang:

6. Linds

Linds Valued Member

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

that hanon appears to be a red and white belt (on the forum at least) and any time iv been on the judo forum he seems to garner allot of respect so im trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his misconceptions of MMA and his perceptions of judo are ridiculous he sounds like the typical Jiu jitsu Traditional martial arts purist at one with the great guiding spirit never been in a fight in my life type.

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

please god wash these morons from the martial arts world completely.

9. Linds

Linds Valued Member

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I don't care how 'respected' the guy is, he's talking a load of uninformed, bigoted crap in that thread. Some people need to wake up and realise that we don't live in feudal Japan and, for most people, Judo is a sport/hobby and doing it should not prevent them having other sports/hobbies they do.

11. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

im just gonna say that was a beautiful throw

12. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

Quoted for absolute truth.

Not to get off topic, but that's something I always find just astounding. I can hit people in a myriad of ways, and take-down and so on; but throwing someone your weight through the air with as much apparent effort as tying your shoes... IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT WITH A RESISTANT OPPONENT, that always seems like witchcraft! :eek:

Sorry, random interlude from a non-judoka there :p.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  13. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

WOW! I'd no idea how much MMA was hated by some judoka. I'm stunned. Are such views common?

Nice throw, BTW.

14. Toptomcat

Toptomcat New Member

It's quite common among the 'old guard' who make up a surprising number of the more prominent members of that forum, and to be perfectly fair, frequently have amazingly insightful things to say about judo history and technique. On the other hand I've never met a judoka under twenty-nine with that kind of attitude.

15. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Ronda kicking more butt

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGIb9j_NTOw&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - RONDA ROUSEY GRAPPLINGX[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmzEWYfXUGM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - RONDA ROUSEY GRAPPLINGX 2[/ame]

her career will get much more interesting when she faces someone who can actually challenge her.

16. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Wow she's epic.

And the people who call her a traitor to Judo need to grow a freaking neocortex.