Older people doing the splits

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, May 25, 2010.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Think you're too old to do the splits? Think again. Check out this photograph of a 90-year old woman from England doing a front split:

[​IMG]

And just in case you think it's a fluke, check out this 90-year old woman from the US:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AjVtIQRzc"]90 year old dancer does splits - YouTube[/ame]

I also received an e-mail this morning from an 83-year old gentleman who said he achieved a full side split after using my methods for four months. I have asked him to send me a photo so I can post it up here.

Flexibility has got nothing to do with age. If you have normal bone structure, you can achieve full splits at any time in your life. And because flexibility takes less effort to maintain, you can keep it too.

2. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

ok......im sold, where can one order your book. im tired of being tortured by Koreans in stretching sessions

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The book is not yet available but I will let you know when it is published. In the meantime you can subscribe to my blog (see link in my signature) where I will post regular snippets from the book, which you can use in your training.

4. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

That pictures upside down, I think! I just want to be breathing at 90 let alone defying gravity in a matrix-stylee-upside-down-front-split. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

LOL. No, she's a former Yoga teacher so she's probably used to being upside down Matrix stylee :D

6. oldyonkyu

oldyonkyu Valued Member

OK, I can expect tp get some, if not all, my flexability back at age 53. My biggest question is how much speed and reflex can I expect at this age? As a small built 'kicker' I found that being flexable AND quick were of equal importance.

7. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

oh ok. just started reading the blog today. fun stuff

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Flexibility can only be increased if the training method produces changes in the nervous system (because it's the nervous system, not length of connective tissues, that determins range of movement). The good news is that these changes occur almost instantaneously, and they occur at any age. This explains why people who train correctly can achieve full splits in weeks (not years) regardless if they are 20, 40, 60 or even 80.

In respect of how much speed and reflex you will gain, the answer is, "I don't know." If you have never done splits before in your life, but you achieve them now, you have the potential to be faster than you have ever been due to decreased resistance in your muscles.