Old-style (near-solo) training

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by ember, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ember

ember Valued Member

So... we're moving. To a place where the nearest KS dojang is three hours away. I'm looking for our new house to have good places to train, at the least we can practice with each other. And perhaps once a month or so we could travel to practice.

Any tips or suggestions?

I'm still planning to come back for World this year.

2. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

I recommend any instructional dvds that are helpful.
    Also try to mix things up and dont do the same routine every time, If you do that trust me that you will get bored and perhaps quit training.

3. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Thats great :D :D

If you have internet access, if could just ask for a weekly lesson plan from your fellow KS MAP'ers. It would be upto you to actually do it, but Im sure we could keep things interesting.

4. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Yes .. keep training. if a good MA dojo is near then quality MA training is worth your while....even if it is not KS! Your knowledge will not be wasted if you train another MA. it will likely be enhanced...... You may find something that is really good for you!!! My understanding of MA grew exponentially when I switched arts!!!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  5. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

AMEN Choi ;-)

6. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

That's a bummer to hear you're moving and that continuing to study Kuk Sool won't be as easy. It would be neat if you could do the once-a-month thing (and hopefully that would work out). And you're right, at least you've got each other to practice with. Hopefully you can find somewhere convenient to your new location that you can train and study, whatever the art may be.

As for solo-training, check these out:

http://www.turtlepress.com/Solo_Training_p/slt.htm
    http://www.turtlepress.com/Solo_Training_2_p/slt2.htm
    http://www.turtlepress.com/Solo_Training_DVD_p/dvd-slt.htm

I cannot vouch for how good or useful they are as I've not read/viewed them. I did see the first one in the bookstore once and flipped through it. It didn't come across as anything earthshattering, but it seemed to have a lot of ideas that at least could be useful for shaking up routine and keeping things from getting stale.

Good luck with things. I hope the move goes smoothly for you 3. :)

7. ember

ember Valued Member

*HUG* Yes, we should have internet access. One thing I was considering was occasionally posting video for critique...

I'm thinking I might be able to make it to St. Louis for seminar and tournament, I hope. We'll have to see how things go.

8. ember

ember Valued Member

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll look into the books.

I'm going to miss people out here. I'll try to keep in touch, and the internet will help on that. In time, I'd like to come back here, but I can't guarantee it.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I do appreciate it.

10. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

First, I apologize for resurrecting this thread, but I was trolling the older posts to see if there is anything that just *dried up* but still might be pertinent to discuss. I gather that ember/pandora (as well as coyote) has chosen to do solo training, at least until getting *settled in* a bit more, but just in case that task starts to look like a slippery slope towards lackluster training, I think it's important to point out the following:
    While the advice CYW gives to search for *any* quality MA studios regardless of affiliation, is good advice in my book (especially if the solo training isn't working out so well), the isolated statement that he made (in the quote above) is certainly misleading.

When CYW *switched* from one MA to another, it was from TSD to KSW. If I'm not mistaken, that was some 10 - 15 years ago and he has yet to switch away from KSW. It's not like ember/pandora hasn't been exposed to other MA (some KSW practitioners HAVE only known KSW and nothing else), so I'm sure she's fully aware that many MA don't cover the same scope as KSW, and therefore she might be hard-pressed in finding something that could *fill the void.*

While not trotting along with blinders on since encountering KSW (though the *full plate* offered by KSW would keep any serious MA-ist quite busy), it's been my experience that finding another MA of the same caliber is often a miracle in itself. So if continuing to train on your own is do-able, then my advice is to follow that path and make the 3-hour trek whenever your training turns stale and you need to get re-motivated. :cool: :woo:

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Open your own school

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You are always welcome at straight blast gym of Alabama - we are on North Parkway between Max Luther and Sparkman right next to the old builders square shopping center.

13. ember

ember Valued Member

I appreciate all the concern.

We're working on this. We had a little hickup, but may have gotten that resolved this week.

I may look into that. We're at the Y now, and it's working well for us, for all that it's the other side of town. Does Straight Blast have a pool, or childcare?

It's important to me to at least maintain what I know. The last time I competed, I did pretty well, and I would like to keep that up for October. I also want to get/be ready for testing.

I don't think either of these motivations work as well for Coyote. He has a lot to learn before he's close to testing, and his division has been larger at tournaments.

We've recently come to realize that he needs structure in his life... and I'm still learning how to provide that structure.

I have done a little bit of looking, but the priority has been on other things. Two TKD/HKD dojangs recently opened, both run by Korean masters. There is TSD at the Y. UAH offers Judo and Aikido classes, and as college courses they might not have the same long-term implications.

I'd feel very strange about being a student at some other school and then opening our own in the same area.

When our house is built, there'll be room to train right at home, room we don't have in our little apartment.

Coyote's been looking into commercial real estate possibilities. We need to tag up on our plan. My original preference was to start a club, and build the brand before going into a full-out store-front business. We haven't had much luck with rental space yet.

I had also been intending to start grad school again in January. That might be an opportunity to start a club on the campus. Assuming I go to UAH, and don't try online somewhere else.

Too many other things going on for me to start something new just yet.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's a bare bones fight gym. No pool and the only childcare is a bench at one end of the room.

It sounds like you are on north side as I think the Y you are referring to is on south end. You may want to check out the Y that opened up in downtown huntsville recently:

http://www.ymcahuntsville.org/pdf/downtown2008.pdf