Old-style karate drills

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ozebob, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Ozebob

Ozebob Valued Member

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had some good drills passed down to them? To explain, often within a lineage a set of drills were included as supplementary training to the practiseof basics and kata. These were often the tools used to reveal the application of the movements within kata.

I have seen sets of or small kata if you prefer, that show the application of blocks, open-hand strikes, elbows and even stances. An empi drill was passed down through my first style, an old-shoto group, which I later realized was part of an ongoing structure. I was able to expand on it once I realized what it was.

Level one consisted of striking with the elbow in this pattern- up.
    side, behind, round to the front and then dropping down with the point of the elbow. By then introducing the appropriate blocks and stances, one could bring in a partner and respond to pre-agreed attacks.

With little effort, the natural follow up same hand strikes from the blocks could be incorporated and takedowns and throws included. What began as a stationary drill became a multi-facted tool for exploring the applications within kata whenever an elbow strike was shown.

any others?

Regards,
    Ozebob

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No, but I've practice your empi drill but never with a partner.

Thanx

3. STEVE PRIOR

STEVE PRIOR New Member

HI THERE,

I THINK THE DRILL YOU ARE DESCRIBING COMES FROM ****O RYU STYLE KARATE, THEY USE SEVERAL OTHER DRILLS WITHIN THAT SYSTEM. HAVE A LOOK AT UECHI RYU KARATE ALSO, AS I BELIEVE THEY USE TWO MAN DRILLS WITHIN THEIR BASICS ?

BEST OF LUCK !

STEVE.

4. Seiken

Seiken New Member

Ipon Kumite

Our school (Shuri-Ryu) practices Ipon Kumite, a series of varied defense and counters against a single attack. For example, the first set of drills defends aginst an overhead strike.

Start in a ready stance with feet shoulder width appart facing your opponent. Then:

1. Step back with your left foot into a zinkustu dachi
    (forward leaning stance with body square to your opponent)
    while executing a right-hand rising block.

2. Execute a rear leg meigari (straight kick) to the abdomen

3. This is the variable step. In turn practice this set of
    movements executing one of the following here with your
    left hand:

- an overhead strike to the top of the head
    - a ta te (close in punch) to the mid-section
    - a reverse punch (for extended range) to the mid-sectioin
    - a leopard strike to the throat
    - a palm-heal strike to the nose

4. Finsih with a right hand lower block designed to clear your
    enemy if they fall forward.

5. Return to your ready stance.

Run each series on both sides, and using all 5 of the attacks. The idea behind the varied attacks in step #3 is that you can never be sure how the opponent will react to your kick (bend down exposing the top of his head, bend over with face forward, etc.). Additioanlly, several of the techniques are designed to hurt, while others to mame or kill. We teach our students only to use as much force as necessary to escape. But of course, sometimes extream measures are necessary.

I hope this is helpful.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

we have the same thing in wado ryu they are called ohyu gumite and kihons

pre arranged techniques done by two people using a series of kicks punches throws sweeps blocks and joint locks.

skc

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Nah! The Ohyu Gumite are techniques, not really drills or what I'd call a 2 man kata. They usually involve 1 person instigating and then getting beat on, or for the higher belts the instigator countering and then doing some more beating.

And the same for Kihons, which translates as basic, they're just mechanisms to develop the ability of one of the practitioners (or both if you use it as an oppertunity to read your opponent).

Col