Old school

Discussion in 'MMA' started by bujingodai, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

My wife she got me some old greatest knock out vids for Christmas. In watching them I do miss the old school UFC. Seemed to have more passion and variety in it.

I remember the beginnings with the style vs style. Wonder what happens when you put Karate vs Judo etc, round robin tourney.
    I have to admit would be awesome if the UFC would do just one PPV with that in mind. Not the fighter fights 2-3 times a year with mostly the stock variety of moves depending on cardio and durability.
    I am aware that the rules have changed a lot which much of what we saw in the early days would no longer be allowed. Even the cadre of most TMA would be shuttered at the door.

Just would be nice for an event.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A lot of old school moves are being brought back in now, knee / theigh stamps (Jon Jones, mcgregor), high kicks, and machida / mcgregor / nelsons karate style distancing

Now that the fundamental of fighting are well known and practised, the non fundamentals have space to make a bigger difference in matches.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

The old tournaments were single-elimination, not round-robin. In round-robin format, you'd fight every other fighter.

The reason you wouldn't see it is because the genie is out of the bottle. We know what happens when a pure Judoka fights a pure karateka. And unless you got some die-hard, "I'm here to represent my style" types, it wouldn't be what you want. A pure striker entering an MMA format would learn rudimentary defensive grappling; a pure grappler would learn some basic striking. Unless they've been living in a cave since before November 1993, they'll know that "pure" anything doesn't work in that format.

I also think your complaint about "stock moves" is unfounded. We're seeing far more variety now than in the early UFC's: wheel kicks, jumping knees, Peruvian Neckties, lateral drops, etc. It varies depending on the fighter (how many heel hooks have we seen since Palhares got canned?) but it's there.

I've heard complaints before about "fighters all look the same" in regards to their skill sets, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It implies that Frankie Edgar, Daniel Cormier, Damien Maia, and Donald Cerrone are indistinguishable when they fight. Now admittedly, the differences are generally subtle in most cases, but honestly, it was harder to tell back in the day, because everyone who wasn't named Gracie or Shamrock just had a bunch of sloppy punches and a schoolyard-level guillotine. The only thing that distinguished them was whether they wore sweat pants or a gi.

Not to say I don't miss a few things from back in the day, or appreciate them for what they were, but the product today is much better.

4. bujingodai

Thanks for answering my question.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A lot of fighters do tend to all look similar in regards to style. However the ones with the edge are the ones that look different.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think this is a fairly UFC centric issue. There are a lot of mid level fighters who are decorated college wrestlers with some iffy boxing.

7. bujingodai

I would just like to see a card done the old way. I'm a fan not a MMA artist so a layman.
    Just found the older cards more interesting, for myself.
    I enjoy what is out there now as well.

8. Pretty In Pink

Define old school. Individual arts all lose to grapplers. That was the whole point.

9. bujingodai

Understood on the intention of why it was made.
    A style vs style elimination. I know it's not a workable model any longer.
    Was just a wish, nothing more.
    Maybe even the way it looked up to say UFC 40 or 50.

A little sloppy, just a fight

10. Pretty In Pink

Aaah, you want a fight. There are few of those left. Lawler vs Condit screams it though.

11. bujingodai

Well thats a nail on the head for me. I was actually thinking of some fights I really enjoyed. Lawler and Litle (spelling sorry) Awesome in my mind. Good sportsmanship and just looked like they really enjoyed it. A scrap. I will get the card this weekend.

12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It was kinda cool to watch a dude in a Gi fighting a mullet headed tank in spandex in mid 90's capcom kind of way but really the questions have been answered and so the alure has diminished for me as has the mystique.

As has been mentioned the standard is so much higher now that the guys from that era that were any good would still get mullered let alone Christopher Crossblock and Harry Horsestance.