Old guy training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I’m not surprised you’re going nuts. I would too.

Good luck with the PT and exercises. They’re a kind of self-discipline training!

Xue Sheng likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

July 4, 2019

Other than my ever growing list of knee exercises given to me by the Physical Therapist, I was actually able to do the Sun Style Taijiquan short form today. First time I could do the entire form since the surgery, exactly 4 weeks ago today.

3. Xue Sheng

July 4, 2019

Other than my ever growing list of knee exercises given to me by the Physical Therapist, I was actually able to do the Sun Style Taijiquan short form today. First time I could do the entire form since the surgery, exactly 4 weeks ago today.

axelb likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Added some BowFlex Pull downs to the Total gym routine.
    Still doing knee exercises daily
    Still able to pull off the Sun short form and added some Taijiquan based qigong too

Also now sent to PT for the hip they put the cortisone shot in. Basically I now have a rock where the Gluteus Medius is, and I am told that's not right, but it does explain the discomfort. Apparently the arthritic changes in the joint are effecting the muscle and it is not happy so not I get to work on that hip too.

axelb likes this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Pretty much the same as before. However they did add stretches for the hip and at PT they started trying to force the knee to bend... that is not fun.

6. Xue Sheng

Well, it appears the reason for my still having trouble walking normally after almost 8 weeks after the surgery (8 weeks tomorrow) is because a muscle (either the Rectus femurs or the Vastus medialis, based on where they kept poking) is hard as a rock and feels like it is in constant spasm. Would explain why there are times I cannot bend it and when I do it feels like something is being bent and pulled.

If this is still the case at my next PT session, I will be returning to the MD to see what he has to say.

Mrs Xue did acupuncture on it this morning, but she is off to China for a week

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I get similar frequently in both those areas, I expect nothing near the extent you are having.
    Part of my trigger point roller routine is to deal with those muscles, every week they end up feeling like a little golf ball stuck in the leg.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

August 6, 2019

Assorted PT exercises

Sun taijiquan short form

Total gym
    Cable pulls
    Cross cable pulls.
    Seated surfer
    seated chest flies
    Seated chest press

Bowflex
    Chin-up pull downs wide grip
    Chin-up pull downs narrow grip
    Pull-up pull downs narrow grip
    Pull-up pull downs wide grip
    Behind the neck pull downs

Yoga Bridge
    Yoga Shoulder stand
    Hip Stretch
    Assorted leg stretches
    Use Pro force stretching machine for stretching and mediation

Squats, basically a body weight dead lift emphasizing proper form

I am able to do a full revolution on the exercise bike, forward and backwards now

Also PT today discovered something that I became aware of this being possible only just before the knee surgery. If you are interested I put it in my Blog and this is the link

Osteoarthritis is a pain…literally and figuratively

axelb likes this.
  9. Xue Sheng

Threw my dang back out and I have no idea how I did it......

10. Xue Sheng

Still can't walk down the stairs normally. The knee surgery was the first week in June most everything is back, but cannot walk down the stairs.
    Physical Therapy is done now, no time to continue, but will continue the exercises

Going to start Baguazhang Mud walking to see if that can strengthen the knee so I can walk down stairs normally

axelb likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Well, I think I will give this a try again. My knee is not back 100%, but it ison the mend. Also realized I am getting WAY to attached to my leather recliner and the TV....but there are things I should do, that or except that someday I will me 300lbs.....so....

Friday evening (08-30-2019)
    Stretching
    Work on Cheng Manching form
    Sun Short Form
    Yang Long form, first third
    Xingyiquan 5 elements footwork
    Baguazhang footwork - linear

Saturday morning
    Knee exercises
    Exercise bike
    Stretching
    TotalGym
    - Rows
    - Press
    - Modified Surfer
    - Pull downs
    - Squats
    Dumbbell
    - Seated Military press

Sun Taijiquan short form

Saturday evening
    Exercise bike
    Stretching
    Sun Short Form
    Yang Long form, first third
    Xingyiquan 5 elements footwork

Sunday evening
    Exercise bike
    Stretching
    Sun Short Form

Monday Morning
    Yoga
    Sun Short Form

Monday evening
    Exercise bike
    Stretching
    Sun Short Form

Now I just need to work on the motivation

axelb likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

Tuesday Evening - 09/03/2019

Knee exercises
    Exercise bike
    Stretching
    TotalGym
    - Rows
    - Press
    - Modified Surfer
    - Pull downs
    - Squats

Dumbbell
    - Seated Military press

13. Xue Sheng

Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Knee exercises
    Exercise Bike
    Stretching
    Work on CMC Taijiquan form
    Sun Short Form
    Xingyiquan foot work, all 3 used in 5 elements forms (no arms)
    Santi Shi (not very long)

Decided to try something. The other night when I did both Baguazhang and Xingyiquan footwork, my knee was not happy. It was not in pain, it felt tight, a bit like it was swelling. So I stopped working on Xingyiquan.

Tuesday night I decided to see what happened if I only did Xingyiquan and did not do the Baguazhang footwork. The knee felt fine, I could tell I had worked it, but no feeling os swelling. Basically if felt the same as if I had only done the Baguazhang footwork.

axelb likes this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Forgot to add
    Siu Nim Tao (Siu Lim Tao)

15. Xue Sheng

Thursday, September 05, 2019

Basically nothing, all I actually did in my workout was Siu Nim Tao

Did spend part of my day trying to get the knee to work properly by going down stairs using the railings. Did 4 flights, going down twice. Still can't walk down starts normally
    Then went for an extended walk. By the time I got home, and mindlessly sat in the dreaded recliner, when I got up I could barley walk. So I wimped out and only did Siu Nim Tao

16. Xue Sheng

Friday, September 06, 2019

Not feeling well again
    Exercise bike
    Stretching.

Saturday, September 07, 2019

Morning
    Yoga
    Exercise bike
    Stretching.
    Total Gym routine
    Dumb bell work
    Xingyiquan footwork

Evening
    Exercise Bike
    Stretching
    Taijiquan
    Xingyiquan footwork

Sunday, September 08, 2019

Morning
    Yoga
    Exercise Bike
    Stretching
    Xingyiquan footwork

Afternoon

Baguazhang foot work

Evening

CMC Taijiquan work
    Sun Taijquan Short form
    Xingyiquan foot work

axelb likes this.
  17. Xue Sheng

Decided I was getting better and got into some more low impact aerobics..... I was wrong. My knee was not happy about it at all. so I am backing off. I was getting close to weight bearing, normal walking down stairs but after 2 days of low impact aerobics I was worried I did some damage and I was thinking about a cane again. And I did the aerobics with knee sleeves too.

September 12, 2019

Stationary bike
    CMC Taijiquan
    Traditional Yang Taijiquan

18. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

How about adding swimming to your options? Front crawl and backstroke are great for knee health. (But avoid breaststroke it you’ve got rusty knees!)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Use to swim, before surgery, had to learn to swim without my legs because if I used my legs, no matter the stroke, I could not walk right for a few days. Use to amaze the oldest and the youngest, they cold not figure out how I did it. But swimming is not an option at this time, no pool available.

20. Xue Sheng

Well, its been awhile since posting here

I am trying to figure out a new workout using the Total Gym and Medicine balls. I think the medicine ball is much better and teaching, and working with, the body unity needed in Chinese Internal Martial Arts. Also doing a lot of stretching. Was working on a yoga routine to fill in when I had the time, but my knees told me I should not be doing much of that right now. Still working with Sun Taijiquan and Cheng Manching's version pf Yang style too.

My biggest issue is cardio. I am bored with the stationary bike so I have tried a few other things. However everything else I have tried leaves me with either knee pain, or hip pain, the next day, for the entire day or longer. I have not tried a rowing machine lately, that may be an option, but at this point it looks like I have only the bike.

On a good note, I am finally able to walk down stairs again, and it almost looks normal. Knee surgery was last June and they said it would be 6 to 8 months for full recovery....apparently they were not kidding

Monkey_Magic and axelb like this.