Old but not out

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by nekoashi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Taking a day off today. Three hard days of karate training from Thursday through yesterday and I am tired and sore. Will probably do another class tomorrow and train a bit on my own Wed-Fri. Plan to start lifting again this weekend.

2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Did a karate class last night. I am a bit sore today and took the day off.

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Probably not going to do anything today. My left shoulder is now bothering me just like my right shoulder was. Total overuse syndrome from a bit too much jodan uke (age uke), it may be tendonitis.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Do not ignore shoulder pain - take it from one who did and suffered a year's lost training! Respect those joints! :)

5. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Definitely appreciate the heads up and sage advice. Pretty sure this is only my front deltoids, perhaps tendonitis and it is certainly from lots of overhead blocks and it is bi-lateral (although my right side is much better these days). For better or worse, I am extremely fast with my techniques so I stress the muscles a lot and my body just doesn't recover as well as it used to. I will see how I feel in the morning, as I may take an early morning class.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This in spades. Shoulders are a nightmare. 12 months since I wrenched mine in a streetfight I was forced into by the circumstances.

If those drunk football hooligans hadn't kicked off in the middle of Nottingham during that racist march whilst that charity event was on that the church was sponsoring it'd never have happened

But defending the nuns who were looking after the homeless kittens from the 35 racist thugs was taxing even for me.

Or I may have yawned a little energetically...

Don't mess with shoulder injuries, 12 months of not training properly is not fun.

Mitch

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Try icing tonight and maybe leave off the overhead work for a while, if it continues.

I suspect a smidgeon of embelishment in the above story! :)

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

None at all!

It really was quite an energetic yawn!

Mitch

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I use ice and heat all the time. I also use ben gay type stuff, advil, etc.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Took a hike with the dog and did some light kata. Nothing intense today, but look forward to lifting this weekend.

11. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It was usually soto uke that did me, not quite fast enough to block a full on attack yet hard enough to give a good arm to arm whack each time (unlike uchi uke)

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

What style did you take? I have been doing a lot of shuto uke a lot lately and hadn't even thought about it.

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I futzed around with two hammers last night, as I don't have a set of Indian Clubs. I think the loosened up my shoulders a bit. I will look into either buying or making a set of ICs.

14. Princess Haru

Shotokan, stuck it out to nidan

15. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Has judo changed your perspective on the application of your katas?

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Karate class this morning as usual. Lifted this afternoon and it was great to be back at the weights and will post my lifts later. I do enjoy lifting.

17. Princess Haru

That's an interesting point.

Bunkai was always a grey area when I was training, based on a lot of experimentation and guesswork. I feel the wider discussion on the internet has improved things.

I loved doing kata and probably knew more of them, or at least the running order of them but was fairly weak when it came to kumite. I was fast at some techniques like ushiro mawashi and was particularly weak at others like ashi barai, which I know will feature more and more in judo. I haven't practiced karate katas in a long time but still know a lot of them

It was funny when I was doing ninjutsu for a while the focus was on movement, technique was secondary, judo is more fluid than I first thought, karate I felt was technique driven, movement comes with practice. Maybe this is where it went wrong in kata, a collection of movement, rather than technique tsuki here, enpi there...

18. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I am a huge proponent of kata, but kata must truly be understood and practiced correctly. When I first learned kata, a lot of the moves made no sense to me. There is a contingent within our system that believe kata is everything, despite the founder of our system saying that kata and kumite are like mother and father. They also obsess about proper technique, yet have no clue how to actually apply these techniques.

I took judo for a while and began to understand grappling. I then re-examined the katas I had trained for years and all of a sudden they made a lot more sense. Fast forward to today and I now train with others who also understand these grappling applications.

As I have studied karate on the web and in books, I have learned to appreciate katas far more than ever. There are just so many great functional aspect to training them. However, if you only train katas to "perform" them with proper technique, they will do you not much more good than a ballet class in a fight.

Do yourself a favor, start dissecting the katas you know. Perform them as if you are really in a fight. Which techniques are you holding an uke? Are you throwing them? Controlling them? Attacking a pressure point?

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Some days are better than others. I am feeling extremely burnt out today and just couldn't get it together at the gym. I will post my lifts from yesterday and today later. However, it was well below my last session and I didn't even do all my lifts today.

It is probably a combination of things, including the change in time (daylight savings ended) today, the lack of creatine over the past couple of weeks, whatever, sure does stink to not have it in you. But, it is only one day. Next weekend should bring some good workouts and I will cycle creatine again in two weeks when my body has been off of it for a month.

20. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Boy, I have been lazy with this log this week. As some of you know from the karate thread, I have been focused on teaching myself some new katas this week. Went to karate class on Thursday night and had a great workout. Did more kata on Friday and took another class on Saturday.

Today I lifted again and it feels great to be back at it and second week in. Here is my last leg/back session prior to my two week break from lifting. It was the last lift of a six week bulk session:

Barbell Squats
    20 x 135
    10 x 225
    6 x 250
    10 x 135

Gravitron Pull-ups
    12 x 80
    6 x 60 (heaviest I have gone on these = about 170lbs)
    8 x 70

Dead-lifts
    10 x 225
    6 x 295
    3 x 300

Bent-over Rows
    6 x 145
    7 x 165
    4 x 165

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I restarted lifting last weekend and it was really tough. I still don't know why I struggled so much with it. Here was last week's leg and back session:

Dead-lifts
    12 x 135
    2 x 295
    8 x 200

Gravitron Pull-ups (remember, the higher the weight the easier)
    8 x 80
    6 x 80
    7 x 100

Barbell Squats
    12 x 135
    4 x 205
    6 x 125

I felt totally burnt and could do no more.

------------------------------------------

Today's session (I had much more energy and drive):

Dead-lifts
    12 x 185
    3 x 295
    1 x 295
    1x 275

Gravitron Pull-ups
    12 x 100
    7 x 80
    8 x 80

Barbell Squats
    12 x 185
    10 x 205
    12 x 135 (really focused on going deep and perfect)

Bent-over Rows
    8 x 135
    8 x 135
    6 x 155

Calf raises
    20 x 100
    20 x 140

Did two sets of farmers one with 60lb dbs and one with 75dbs (I should figure out the distance at some point.)
    Did two sets of wrist rolls with 20lbs on the string.

I will start another cycle of creatine next week and I am increasing my caloric intake again. Over the two weeks that I cut, I was down to about 218 on the last day. This bulk is timed for Thanksgiving. :whistle: I really hope I can make some significant progress with upper body strength.