Okinawan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Cyrus513, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Cyrus513

Cyrus513 New Member

So I've spent a considerable amount of time doing extensive google research on fun ways to punch/kick things and not be fat, and have found myself very interested in Okinawan karate, specifically the Goju-ryu or Shorin-ryu styles. I liked that they were close range, incorporated body hardening, seemed to be more complete systems (incorporating punches/kicks, blocking, locks, grappling, takedowns, throws, breath control, etc).

I suppose my big problem is that I don't really trust yelp and its other internet equivalents; I find it hard to believe that an instructor trying to grow his/her business wouldn't urge his students to go onto yelp and input extraordinary reviews (despite the fact that the teaching could be less than great)

So basically, I am shamelessly begging for any recommendations for a good goju-ryu or shorin ryu school in the Chicago land area.

I am from the northern suburbs and am not opposed to driving into the city if it means obtaining quality instruction.

Thanks in advance!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

There can be a little less traffic here on a weekend; but hopefully someone will come along with some suggestions for you.

3. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

If you can post links to the websites of some of the schools you're considering we may be able to give better advice.

Also, for Shorin Ryu, you may want to consider looking to see if one of Iha's schools is near you (school list at http://ihadojo.com/Association/shibu.htm.)

4. Cyrus513

Cyrus513 New Member

So the ones I had initially found a few for Shorin Ryu:

Japanese Culture Center
    http://www.japaneseculturecenter.com/
    - This site was a little confusing to me, as it talks a lot about the instructor but then I was unable to actually find the class in the schedule. I am going to call them and ask if they even still offer it over the telephone tomorrow I think. It was also semi-concerning to me that they offer so much, in that I generally think its better to do one thing very well rather than lots of things in a mediocre fashion. Maybe the # of subjects offered shouldn't be a concern though?

Ravenswood Shorin-ryu Karate Dojo
    http://ravenswoodkarateclub.com/
    - This one only offers instruction one day a week. I suppose that I should be practicing on my own or what not, but I was hoping to attend more than one class a week.

For Goju Ryu the one I've found so far:

http://www.greatlakesseiwakai.com/
    - They have a dojo in Highwood IL which is located conveniently nearby where I live. There is a very good chance that the instructor is my car insurance agent when he is not teaching Karate (not sure why but I find this incredibly funny). They also spelled 'Illinois' wrong on their list of dojos.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'll speak on Shorin Ryu, since that's where my experience more lies. I will let someone more qualified answer Goju Ryu questions.

On the Cultural Center:

It looks like, despite having a wide range of classes, that they are all taught by different people - so you are getting instruction from an instructor that is qualified/specialized in that area. They do not have much posted for me to view videos or photos of what they are doing, so I can't say too much more. Reading about them only gives so much information.

On Ravenswood:

They teach Matsubashi Shorin Ryu, which has become its own distinct style from other Shorin Ryu (compared to Shobayashi, Kobayashi, and Matsumura Orthodox) schools (and is usually just called Matsubashi Ryu if you want to get some more background on the style). This isn't bad - it's just different.
    Looking at some of the kata videos they have posted they don't look bad, but I would want to see a normal class to find out if they offer what you're looking for.

On both of them:
    See if you can get in to try or at least watch a class. See if they offer what you're looking for (do they practice throws/locks; if you are looking for conditioning what do they do - makiwara boards, two-person conditioning exercises (I can't remember the name of the top of my head), hojo undo; do they do any type of kumite (free sparring, one step sparring, three step sparring, etc: all are distinct but fall under kumite), how often do they practice kata bunkai (application), etc). See if they meet what you are looking for.