Okinawan Bo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by 1druid1, Feb 3, 2004.

1. 1druid1

1druid1 New Member

Hi All

A while back I went to a 2 day seminar held with Julian Mead Sensei, I must admit he is extremely impressive with a Bo. Unfortuantly my skills are nowhere near his and I have forgotten some of the techniques he demonstrated at the seminar. He taught as Shuji no Kon(Sho) and I think 7 applications or Kumite. Does anyone have any video clips / information of this Kata and the applications he may have shown, I think he generally does the same ones at his open courses.

Again I have to comment how good sensei was and hopefully I will have the opertunity to train with him again.

Regards

1druid1

2. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

1druid1

Glad you enjoyed some Okinawan bo work.

As for video clips........personally I do not know Shuji no kon, but video clips of Shu-shi-no-kon, Cho-un-no-kon and Sakugawa-no-kon will be going up on my website (which is currently in development).

-T

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

shuji no kun sho is Shushi no Kun sho romanized differently.

4. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Thankyou Andrew,

But, FYI (to anyone who will listen) - 'we' only have one Shushi no kon, there is no Sho or Dai. I have looked at Demura's SSNKSho and it is not the same as our SSNK.

Can anyone possibly inform me of the differences between SSNKSho and SSNKDai? I might be able to draw a parallel between them and SSNK.

-T

Edited because I think this is a better reply :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  5. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I looked at Demuras one and it is quite different from ours too.

I'm looking forward to seeing yr Sakagawa bo kata, kobudo tob!

I must pull finger and get ours on video so they can go with the written version on my site. Can u let me know yr url so I can have a wee look at your katas?

6. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Pressure :S ( :) )

There isn't one yet. I want to get my bb grading out the way before I start really working on it (I have to deal with things in that way)

However, Reiki, I will tell you the address when it is done. Thanks for showing an interest :)

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

hehehe! :D

well we like to see what u others ae doing!!

Good luck with your BB grading!!! when are u doing it??

8. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

March 13th+14th. The panic begins...........

9. guran

guran Valued Member

Shushi no Kon etc....

There would seem to be a great number of shushi no kun variations. We had only a shushi no kun in the Wado-ryu school I trained in. Shorin-ryu Shorinkan had shushi no kon sho and dai. We are currently training with yet another version. Signature on all versions seems to be three consecutive strikes to the front, generally with feet together than dropping back to parry.

10. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Cheers for your input Guran.

That's interesting. Please can you elaborate on this comment. In our SSNK there are three 'changing grip' neck strikes, but we don't bring out feet together. We then do a block to the right hand side - is this what u mean by dropping back?

From the SSNKs I have seen, the opening combination seems to be very similar - overhead strike, step forward thrust behind/throat.

It is great to have someone else who is familiar with SSNK

-T

11. guran

guran Valued Member

Wado-ryu version - "Overhead" strike to front, feet coming together (facing forward) as strike lands. Drop back and parry in catfoot stance. Three times

Shorinkan version - "Overhead" strike to front, feet coming together at a 45-deg. (toward front-left) angle as strike lands. Keeping feet together, parry toward the front while hips and feet turn sharply to the left (-90-degrees from "front"). Three times.

Current version is similar to Wado version with improved technique on strikes (hips allowed to work rather than straight forward).

Hope this makes sense...

12. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Yup, makes sense. Thankyou.

It nice to hear that there are other versions.

-T

13. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Sensei Mead has a few courses this year in Scotland so you should be able to train with him again.

14. JOE-DAN

JOE-DAN New Member

there are three shuji no kon kata shuji no kon sho, shuji no kon, dai,and koshiki shuji(old style)in demuras book on bo, the kata in the book is not shuji sho, but infact is shuji dai