Okinawan art or not? Thats the question.

Discussion in 'Karate' started by shitokai, Mar 19, 2004.

1. shitokai

shitokai New Member

I would like it if you could all please do me a favour, tell me, is ****o Ryu a Okinawan Martial art or not? The answer to this will settle an argument, thanks.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - it is.

http://www.eskimo.com/~fkronin/history.htm

3. guran

guran Valued Member

"Unante" by John Sells has an excellent chart showing the lineage of all of the Okinawan karate and kobudo styles that he could find. Also has a section describing each, apparently with information gleaned from interviews with the Hanshis.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

Did you think it was or not, and did you Win or Lose your argument ?

Cheers.

5. shitokai

shitokai New Member

I thought it was but l was told to shut up! They also said that its a weak style that will die out........ Lets see.

6. Stick

Stick New Member

Isn't ****o kai Japanese and ****o ryu Okinawan? In fact, don't most Okinawan ryu ha see ****o as Japanese...just questions.

7. NIKS

NIKS Baby banana killer :D

Hi, after I read this message, I would like to ask you a question.
    Do you think ****okai is Okinawan? Because ****okai is just the more modern version of ****o Ryu you know?
    ****o Ryu is almost the same it is only older.
    I excersise Hayashi ****o Ryu and ****okai. I perform kata's on very high tournamnets from both styles. ****okai is almost the same, it's just modernised ****o Ryu. So what do you think now?

8. NIKS

And just one another thing. Were is ****o Ryu dying according to you?
    Because look one time at European or World Championships what style is winning all the time. ****o Ryu and Shotokan are the worlds biggest styles and they also win most tournaments.
    So I don't know were you got this info but it certainly isn't right.

9. Stick

Stick New Member

I was just asking a question based on what you stated...

Don't look at me, I didn't say it was dying.

10. NIKS

Hey Stick, sorry but my comment wasn't mend to what you said. It was for ****okai not to you. But I don't mean my comment in a offensive way, if you think so.

11. shitokai

shitokai New Member

I never thought that it was dying but some people that l spoke to always said l should change because it is dying. I love IT! also i do both ****o Ryu and ****okai.

12. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

****o-ryu is one of the four major styles of " JAPAN". Shotokan, Goju-Ryu, Wado- ryu and ****o-ryu

Although Kenwa Mabuni studied with Itosu and Higaonna in Okinawa I'm not sure if he started his school until going to Japan.......possibly Osaka?
    I think it may also have been called something else first...Hako or Hanko-Ryu?

I've always thought of ****o-Ryu as being a Japanese style.

Just my 2 cents

Tommy

13. NIKS

14. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Tommy P is Correct.

Rob

15. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Yes. Kenwa Mabuni was Okinawan, anyway.

16. genkidave

genkidave Valued Member

Hi guys! I train under two of Soke Kenzo Mabuni's students, Shihan Kazuo Sakai (7th Dan) and Shihan Keiji Nakura (7th Dan). I will be meeting Soke Mabuni this Sunday as well. If you REALLY want to know the differences, I will ask him, as it was HIS FATHER who founded ****o Ryu.

As for my own knowledge, Kenwa Mabuni was born in Okinawa, studied 2 different styles of Karate from Itosu and Higaonna in Okinawa. After, he moved to Osaka and started his own style of ****o Ryu, which if no one knew, the first Chinese character of both his master's names. That is how he named ****o Ryu, in honor of them.

True ****o Ryu Karate-do is still being practiced and tought under Soke Kenzo Mabuni, as he has his father's orginal texts in regarding the art.

Kenei Mabuni (the older brother) also practices and teaches ****o Ryu, though the kata are a little different, plus he does not have the original texts from his father.

Kenzo Mabuni also still lives in the original home of Kenwa Mabuni, as well runs the original Honbu dojo where ****o Ryu was given birth.

Any other questions?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004