Ohtar says Osu!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ohtar, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Ohtar

Ohtar New Member

Hello,

I'm new here, so thougt I'd better introduce myself first. I'd already done it in another topic, because 'new threat' didn't work, but now I can't find it anywhere anymore. (When I press 'next page' I get the next topic :confused: )
    Well, I come from Holland, and I practise now Kyokushinkai karate for 3 years. I've got a yellow+stripe belt (5th kyu). In my club there are not much girls (17) of my age or older who train Kyokushin, and enjoy it really. Who practises here Kyokushin?

I bet Kyokushin girl! :D

Osu!

2. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

LoL...
    welcome to the forums, mate...
    the new thread button is just below this post or on every section here... just surf this site thoroughly n experiment :D
    -TkdWarrior-

3. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Welcome to the site Ohtar I look forward to your input. Now what gives you the idea that Kyokushin girl studies Kyokushinkai karate? ;)

Cooler

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Kyokushinkai? Never heard of it?! :D

Osu Ohtar, welcome to the forum. Its always good to see another kyokushin practioneer here :) This is a really great place, you'll get loads out of it and hopefully put loads in :)

Osu

5. Ohtar

Ohtar New Member

There is something strange. Often, there are next pages, but no 'next page' button!
    :confused:

6. Ohtar

Ohtar New Member

sorry, that I'm posting two times, but it works again. :eek:

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

there r no next page button but instead there is link in bottom of thread like previous page 1 2 3 4... last page
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Hey man, could you do us all a big big favour and not toss the word 'osu' around like some oriental soya-based condiment? Thanks. I'm otherwise friendly.

9. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Why does the word Osu cause offense to you Knight_errant? As this word is used all over the globe within the dojos of good martial arts schools.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

10. Knight_Errant

well, for various reasons I take exception to people using foreign words and touting various 'deep' meanings and generating an aura of mysticism around themselves.

11. paul paterson

Osu,

If that were so true ten why do you practice a martial art as that would be seen to be foreign. As for an aura of mysticism, sorry but no, no, no. Please look up the word Osu. As I have said before, you have your reasons and I have mine but that does not mean you have to say who can and can not say certain words that then becomes a big brother thing.

Osu
    Paul Paterson.

12. Knight_Errant

martial arts? foreign? I thought it was an inventive way of kicking the **** out of people myself, but there we are. Use the word osu if you like, but remember it's really just a japanese athletic expression, probably roughly equivavlent to 'yowza' or 'man, that rocked'. Incidentally, I have no particular wish for this to become a big arsey internet slanging-match. That's not what I signed on for.

13. paul paterson

Osu
    Paul Paterson.
    Osu

14. Cain

Cain New Member

LOL! :D

Go easy knight errant, it's their way of greeting, I don't think they mean any offense, no need to go over the top for it :D

chill man :D

|Cain|

15. Adam

Adam New Member

Fine then, don't use the word if you don't like it.

I sorta like it- OSU! A powerful word.

Makes you happy just saying it - OSUOSUOSUOSU!

Incidentally, it does have a deeper meaning and it's not got to do with athletics.

I used to do Kyokushin too Ohtar. Very nice style.

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Adam you misunderstood me, I don't find it funny or offensive, but what I did find strange was knight errant's reaction to it :D

|Cain|

17. Knight_Errant

some explanations required here... the word 'osu'- have you been to japan and seen how it's used? I read an article by a guy who has, and he thinks very different thinks about it than I used to.

18. Adam

Adam New Member

What did he say about it?

19. Knight_Errant

20. Adam

Adam New Member

Interesting. I believe the word is used in a different context in kyokushin, but I'm sure Paul Paterson with his greater experience would be able to explain it much better than I would.
    I do agree that it shouldn't be used outside of training, though. That makes it a cheap word and makes it loose its meaning, as well as making the dojo kind of a cult group. Uneccesary mysticism is not a large part of kyokushin. Perseverance and strength of mind is.

Here is what is probably what Sosai believed OSU to be.

Osu means patience, respect and appreciation. In order to develop a strong body and strong spirit it is necessary to undergo rigorous training.

This is very demanding, because you must push yourself to what you believe to be your limit, and you want to stop; to give up. When you reach this point you must fight yourself and your weakness and you must win. To do this you must learn to persevere, but above all you must learn to be patient. This is OSU!

The reason you subject yourself to hard training is because you care about yourself, and to care about yourself is to respect yourself. This self respect evolves and expands to become respect for your instructor and fellow students. When you enter the dojo you bow and say "Osu" . This means you respect your dojo and the time you spend training there. This feeling of respect is OSU!

During training you push yourself as hard as possible because you respect yourself. When you finish you bow to your insructor and fellow students and say "Osu" once more. You do this out of appreciation. This feeling of appreciation is OSU.

Thus OSU is a very important word in Kyokushin Karate because it signifies patience, respect and appreciation. That is why we always use the word OSU; to remind ourselves of these indespensable qualities.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003