Oh gym vs ma session dilemma!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Su lin, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Those of you that know me a bit probably know I experiment and swap my training about a fair bit, I'm all about trying things out before making a decision and doing what is best for my training. It's always handy to get opinions from others though as I am also really bad at making decisions :D

At the moment I train in mma, well I do mma, submission grappling and boxing, usually training 3 or 4 nights a week at my local club. I joined the gym near work the other week so I have been going there twice/three times a week at lunch/before work.

However. I really miss the thai training , the sparring really (even though I regularly spar 3 times a week at my other classes) and want to train with some good women (of which there are a fair few nearby in the north west) to bring on my stand up skills. I really want to fight mma, possibly thai ,so I am having to think about what is best for bringing on my skills.

This is the decision really. I can't afford to go to the gym and to mma and to thai, so it's either thai or the gym. Personally I think thai would eb great, the club I am thinking is 10 mins from my work , they only do classes of 6 and they train a woman pro mma/thai fighter plus loads of other good women.

However, I know my fitness would still come on but then I don't exactly have time to do weights much during the week, though I suppose it doesn't take a massive amount of time and I could add to my weights at home and do it there.

I just love training tbh and want to get the best experience possible really to at least have an attempt at fighting, even if I fail miserably and decide never ever to do it again :D

Any thoughts?

Ta :D

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Buy some 2nd hand weights and train Thai!
    Sneak the weights into work

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

how about setting a simple fitness goal (ie lift x weight for y sets of z reps, plus x amount of cardio work, etc) that you can reach relatively easily; go to the gym until you achieve it, then, with improved fitness and strength, switch to thai

?

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Both good thoughts! And true MD, I will still have lunchtimes free at work so can sneak my weights here and go for a run too.

5. Moi

What sort of lifts are you doing and how heavy? You could get some resistance band from Ebay for a couple of quid and have the ability to lift wherever you are. Might not be an ideal solution but the can give a good workout.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Doing mainly deads/squats/presses/lunges. Only lifting something like 25kg at the moment as not done any for a while. Also doing some curls/lat pulldowns etc on the cables and the bloomin pull up bar so I don't face humiliation at boxing again when I fail to be able to do them :D

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Get one of them weight vests and then you can go about your business but weight an extra 25kg or thereabouts...

Train while you hand wonky pictures in the gallery...

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Could you compromise and do 1 session of weights a week and then Thai in your other slots? Moi's idea about weights in work would be a good one, or supplementing you home set.

9. Moi

Pull-up bar and a couple of resistance bands would have you sorted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-2M-Resist...s_ET?hash=item3a529d6f2b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P90X-CHIN-UP-...s_ET?hash=item3ef8d1ba27&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I may do one thai session as getting stand up sparring training anyway, plus it's more or less private tuition so I'll learn a lot from that session I imagine. Yeah could still do one weights session then with stuff at home.

Why did I start asking around about thai sessions! Gahhhh :D

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I'd go to one or two lessons of the Thai boxing first to see if it's good.

If it's good then drop the gym. I'm assuming you're doing strength training with weights? Although good I don't think it's vital, nearly all the pro boxers and thai boxers don't do weights. Cardio you don't need a gym for, plyometrics and balistics you don't need a gym for, stretching you don't need a gym for. So yeah I'd definitely drop the gym and take the Thaiboxing provided the classes are good.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm going to badger my instructors for another session a week of stand up work, that would make things far easier for me! There are 2 thai classes in my city but I have tried them and they just aren't for me.
    Yeah my ma training is the main focus, we do circuits and such at sessions plus I can get out running easily enough. I'd rather get my technique strong first and make sure my cardio is pretty good, and I know that's improving from my sparring and ability to get through a tough 2 hour session.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

It's really annoying when you discover another class you'd like to go to but fitting it into your life is difficult. My BJJ instructor has just started a gi class at his gym, which I'd love to attend, but the timing isn't great for me. Plus I really want to start capoeira again but the class times don't work for me. :bang:

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmmm looks like you have to pay per month, so if I don't manage to get there for some reason it's money down the drain. Definitely going to try the first session free though.

Looks like I need to buy my instructors some cake to pursuade them to put another session on :D

15. Moi

Looks like Lou need an 8 or 9 day week. That's a thought! Have you considered working your training out over a fortnight instead of a week?

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yes I do! Hmmm not thought about it like that actually.

17. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Good MA training is hard to come by. If its what you want then I would recommend taking the Thai.

You have much more flexibility/autonomy with your exercise regimen. As others have said bodyweight, resistance bands, pull up bar, heavy bag and you're set.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think Moi and Axelator gave the best suggestions, so there's not much else I can add except I now have this vision of you looking somewhat like Linda Hamilton:

[​IMG]

Seriously badass :D

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol oh I wish :D As you can see from my profile pic it's more or less the exact opposite!