Ogawa Ryu Aikijujutsu?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by nickh, Nov 14, 2006.

1. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Anyone know if this is genuine or not?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKJcbFBmFE&mode=related&search="]YouTube[/ame]
    And any ideas why they are wearing tasuki?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  2. Aff

Aff Valued Member

it's very impressive aikijutsu. not sure about the throws though, still seem a bit aikidoish but then again it's for demonstration.

3. nickh

nickh Valued Member

But is it real aikijujutsu? Or is it something that's been made up from aikido and other stuff?

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

This is being addressed on the weapons forum here also.

5. Aff

Aff Valued Member

it's not the same. on that link the approach is not very good (very compliant). on the actuyal aikijutsu link though, some of the techniques seem executed very well.

there's always the usual debate about compliance but tbh in aikijujutsu sometimes it is extremely difficult to find any way of properly executing a technique against a resisting uke without really hurting them.

such is the nature of aikijujutsu, it is NOT aikido and it has no sport tendancies, it is quite raw imo. something that is taking me quite a while to grasp coming from a more western jujutsu background.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting stuff shown in there. According to the vid... not everyone in Brasil does BJJ. :D

The throws look much more like Aikido than what I've seen to date in Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu.

The harder breaks and the emphasis on the strikes to distract and to a downed opponent look similar to what we do in Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu...
    but for some reason the movements look a fair bit different overall.

Maybe hard to tell on video. :confused:

Though that being said - we've had other black belts come from Japan come to train with us for a day or two and even though they were doing Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu their style or 'interpretation' of the same techniques looked a fair bit different in many respects to that of our sensei.

7. Aff

Aff Valued Member

totally can agree with that, even within our style of aikijutsu it appears higher up in the grades (much higher) different instructors have different approaches. some more aiki than others. peronally i'm going for the less aiki (due to the current transition from TJF style jutsu) until i reach further up then may integrate it more.

but in saying that, i could well be one of those that move to a more aiki based approach later on.

hmm, so if everyone done that something could be lost in the style forever and the style change to total aiki. omg, i'll have to have a think about this...

8. Kogusoku

Actually, the clips show the same practicioners, from the same association demonstrating different aspects of the skills they do in this system.

9. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Hmmm. Now I know why Budovideos have been sold out of all the Nihon Budokan DVDs for the past year :woo:

10. Kogusoku