Official MAP Meet 2012

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Late for dinner, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Are you coming along to the 2012 MAP Meet?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2012.
  1. Yes definately

63.2%
  2. Unsure at this stage

31.6%
  3. I am coming and bringing a friend

5.3%
  1. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

Big congrats on organizing the event . I worked in Nottingham a good few years ago.
    Is the place The St Annes end or the city centre end?
    As I was thinking if it is a good walk from the train station.
    Is their still a good chippy on Stoney Street so I can have a chip supper before heading back to the smoke? The Well café also rings a bell.
    For Mat areas there is an excellent boxing coach in Notts called Tommy Thompson don’t know if he is a MAPPER but he might do a session for you.
    In the past MAP events have been able to raise some money for a charity . What about a local Notts charity for keeping kids on the straight and narrow (I am certain the local lads will know of one) or maybe combat stress.

All the best of luck with the event I don’t want to commit but as I think I will be away working but wont know that until I get back.

cheers

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Tommy Thompson is excellent, not sure he will come cheap though.

My instructor knows him, so I can make contact with him. If it is for charity he may be willing to help.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't think he'll have access to a big enough area, he teaches out of the top floor of a pub 10 minutes from me. If you can get him on board it'd be fantastic Simon.

No progress on venues last week, hopefully get something sorted during this week.

Places big enough to run multiple matted areas tend to be booked up with long term classes though, so it's difficult at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Mitch

4. Simon

I've sent Tommy an e-mail explaining who we are, what we plan to do and that we have a proven track record in running these events.

Fingers crossed.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

So what's happening with this. Been a bit quiet.

6. Mitch

So far I've had 3 knockbacks, trying another venue tomorrow. Anywhere of a suitable size seems to be booked.

Any news from you Simon?

Mitch

7. Simon

Unfortunately not.

I sent the e-mail, but have not had a reply.

I will send it again.

8. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I was thinking the same myself .Maybe they are having trouble getting a suitable venue, when I have organized seminars in the past it all revolves around the venue, exspense v size ,location etc.
    However all the very best in your efforts to get a MAP meet 2012 of fthe ground.Its very difficult and our economic depression doesnt help.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I really hope this pans out and ends up a success! Why do you guys all have to be so far away? :(

10. Mitch

This is getting ridiculous. There's a City Council leisure centre in walking distance of the station with a large hall that is available on the date.

They're also up for tender to be run by private companies, so wont take any bookings until after that is resolved in August! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Mitch

11. Simon

Wouldn't happen under a Tory government...ah, wait...

On a serious note it really is ridiculous how much red tape can get in the way of hiring a hall for a few hours.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tell you what make this meet the 29th of Sept and we can all rock up and watch the UFC too. :)

13. Unreal Combat

Do we really need a hall? Why not just rock up on a large field somewhere and hope it doesn't chuck it down?

14. Mitch

Doesn't matter if it rains, I'm happy to mud wrestle frodocious :D

I'm going to try that youth club you mentioned UC, any idea how big it is?

Mitch

15. Unreal Combat

It's been a long time since I was there but they have a hall that we used to play five a side on. They used to run Lau Gar classes there back then too. They also have an outdoor area that's a decent size too.

16. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'm pretty sure they just hang out in Mitch's basement and play Dungeons and Dragons. In my mind, Mitch wears a little hat and is a ruthless Dungeon Master. Also, Frodo plays a halfling.

Why don't you guys just car pool? There is enough of you and you'll save on travel expenses if each group shares the fuel cost.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ah yes because in the UK we all live next door to each other. :)

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Hey, in my fantasy you all live in The Shire and drive Mini Coopers with the British flag painted on them. Don't ruin that for me.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I live in the (York)Shire. :)

20. Unreal Combat

I live in the (Nottingham)Shire. :)