Official MAP Meet 2012

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Late for dinner, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Are you coming along to the 2012 MAP Meet?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2012.
  1. Yes definately

63.2%
  2. Unsure at this stage

31.6%
  3. I am coming and bringing a friend

5.3%
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Great day.

I can only echo what has already been said really.

Thanks for the chance to show some of my stuff and to my student Andy for helping, and thanks to the other instructors who gave their time and knowledge.

It was nice to meet some more MAPpers, Mitch, Zaad, Icefield and PASmith and finally a big thank you to everyone else who opened came along to make the day what it was.

In the end we had 24 people attend, which is great. Mitch will tell us soon enough how much money was raised, but it is a decent figure.

The money will go to Barnardos and a local Nottingham children's charity.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Heh..got seperated by some lights but I hoped you'd seen the signs for the M1 by then. :)

Cheers guys really enjoyed the day. Really nice to meet nice people (that are often so different from how you imagine them online).
    Found some great stuff to take home and ruminate over. And also got a nice crop of bicep bruises from Simon and some bruised forearms from Bassai as a nice reminder of the day. Such nice guys.
    MAJOR props to Mitch for organising things and the instructors for donating their time. Apologies if others helped out but it seems like Mitch's baby so he gets the pat on the back for delivering it. :)

3. Simon

I've got those same bicep bruises, very painful.

I also appear to have sustained a hurty forearm, but have no idea where from.

All sessions were delivered with good humour and I think it was easy to see the crossover between the different arts.

4. Simon

I've just has a text message from Andy, the student who came with me yesterday.

"Right shoulder really stiff, aching all over and feeling old, LOL".

I know he was really pleased to be given the chance to train with other instructors and meet some of the guys and girls I talk about during class.

I know he was nervous and unsure of his capabilities, but pleased at the end of the event that we are really all the same. He managed to give advice, but learn a lot too.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

He had no need to be nervous , he very knowledgable and helpful .

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Was a good day and like everyone else it was nice meeting more map people. Add my thanks to Mitch and all the guys who took sessions

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That's a very polite way of saying "Thanks PASmith for abandoning us in Nottingham... but luckily we were able to find our way back to the M1 without you!" ;)

But seriously, I'd like to echo what Lorelei said. What a great afternoon training!

Ok, so I've got a ginormous purple bruise on my right arm (in the shape of Mike Flanagan's hand) and my wrist has swollen up into a rather strange shape, but I really enjoyed myself, and I think I learnt a few things too (apart from just what a few more MAP'ers look like behind their avatars.)

My only regrets are that it wasn't longer, and that I couldn't try every single demo due to clashes. But I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who kindly gave up their time to teach us, to Mitch for organising it, and to everyone who came along and made it such an enjoyable event.

Can we please make it a regular thing?

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It was a brilliant day, very many thanks to all those who took part and especially the instructors who delivered some excellent sessions.

I'll get a few more photos sorted, but here's one of some of those who attended; Southpaw and Grappling Dummy left a little early to get to UFC so aren't on this one.

Mitch

Attached Files:

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

What a bunch of reprobates ...........SorryI coudnt make it I was at a wedding ....guess where I wanted to be !!!!

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

nice to meet the guys (and girls) off here. Thanks to mitch for organising everything, and thanks to simon for taking the first class! Good day was had by all i think and its good we raised money for a good cause and got to have fun at the same time.

Next time Zaad i promise i will suplex you :D

11. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

You can see what a hard day's training it was by how bow-legged some of the people on the front row look.

Mike

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'd also like to say special props to Zaad who traveled from north of Glasgow for the day, 300 miles each way. Any MAPpers closer than that to the next meet we organise had better be there! :D

Mitch

13. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

:whistle:

I can't help it if I've got ginormous hands.

[​IMG]

I won't take the credit for that one.

But I probably will for that one, if its up near the elbow, if it was you I bashed on the forearm for a takedown.

Moving swiftly on...I thought it was a great day. A good opportunity to catch up with some old faces and meet some new ones. I both enjoyed and got something out of all the sessions I took. My only regret was that I couldn't do everything.

Again soon please Mitch!

Mike

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Finally made it home.

It was great to meet some more Mappers. I really enjoyed training with both familiar and new faces. The classes I tried were great fun and really interesting. Mitch's mankini was the showstopper though.

15. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

Thanks - lots of ideas to play with. Enjoyed it and only regrets are that it wasn't all day and that I couldn't stay for food and chat afterwards...

Next time can't come soon enough...

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Duly noted! :eek:

Wish I could've made it.

Next time!!!

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Um guys.
    I totally forgot that Steve was supposed to be there...
    He didn't get the wrong weekend did he?

18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Mitch destroyed me, Robbie and Sampsi on Saturday night. I seem to have lost three hours.

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Unfortunaltly I started my new job at the same time as the meet, I'm gutted to have missed the meet but needed this oppertunity. I'm now a grown up with a real job and full time hours :( :)

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time and i'm really jelous of you all! I'm going to be doing a bit of traveling around the uk soon so I'm hoping to be able to hit up map members for some training and craic in coming months.

20. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Perhaps a meet in 6 months time...?!

Tenner says something will get in the way of that one, as well!!