Official MAP Meet 2012

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Late for dinner, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Are you coming along to the 2012 MAP Meet?

Poll closed Oct 5, 2012.
  1. Yes definately

63.2%
  2. Unsure at this stage

31.6%
  3. I am coming and bringing a friend

5.3%
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

:)

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

What happened to that poll btw?

And when's the deadline to pay? Grappling Dummy is at sea I think and I'm broke for a couple weeks

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Get down Pompei docks and sell your body to some sailors.
    Don't you dare miss the MAP meet sonny.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Pompei docks?! Has he got a death wish? Or does Portsmouth have a volcano I'm not aware of?

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Ross Mounteney (Late for Dinner)

Ross's background is in freestyle wrestling and chinese martial arts (and rugby :' ).
    He started wrestling/rugby when he 15 and has also intermittently been training in judo in recent years. He trained in Butokukan Karate for 3 years when he finished high school and later trained in Wing Chun (1986-1991 Black Sash). In 1991 he started to train with Master Chan Wah in Lung Ying Fu Hok Pai which is a family style that combines 3 southern Chinese martial arts (Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut and Sil Lum) and received his black sash. He was also taught the short hand arts of Lung Ying and Bak Mei while training with Master Chan.

I am going to look at some of the ways we engage and close with an opponent in the chinese arts. We will then progress to clinching and some takedowns (both CMA and wrestling) that can be applied in the clinch. I'm going to try and show some drills we use to move from compliant to resistant training to show how the techniques can be applied in a contest or altercation. What we do will vary with how people get on at each stage of the seminar but hopefully I can show some practical appications that people can carry over into their own training.

6. Mitch

A decision was made to give the money to children's charities, Barnardo's is one suggestion.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please post them here, once you have paid to confirm your place.

The sooner people pay the better. The good folk who have agreed to give up their time for free to teach could do with an indication of numbers so they can plan in more detail. So far we have lots of people who say they are going but not many who are willing to pay up :)

Come on folks, the event is on, the Instructor's are ready, what are you waiting for? :D

Mitch

7. Mitch

Robert Agar-Hutton
    Robert has been learning martial arts since 1970 and is still learning. He is a Tai Chi and Karate instructor.

I'll be teaching some combat applications of Tai Chi. These are moves that are simple to learn and simple (though very effective) to apply. Almost anyone from any martial arts background should be able to find something of interest in the session.

Attached Files:

8. Mitch

There is now a sticky under General Discussion just for details of the meet. Any serious questions can be asked there and it's your reference for all details in one place, but please keep it banter free :)

Linkydink.

Mitch

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just paid mine.
    I'm going and I've got a bad back and an ear infection so what's YOUR excuse?

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

sorry, where do i pay?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

See page 15, post 221.

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I am going to pay as soon as PayPal resolves the problem where their system thinks that my credit card is 'about to expire' when it doesn't actually do so until 2014.

So apologies for the delay, but I am DEFINATELY coming.

13. Llamageddon

I don't like any of yous?

14. Mitch

2 posts above yours :)

Mitch

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Right I've just paid after wrestling with the decision of doing this or training with Mikio Yahara in Luton , so i'm doing both !

16. Llamageddon

Massively jealous of the Yahara thing!

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Fair play.

18. Llamageddon

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

Thought that you might like to know what I will be doing during my session at the MEET - have a look at http://youtu.be/Q6UcTZVFTUs and that's the sort of thing - I will try and focus a bit more on combat applications that rely on 'good body mechanics' rather than just 'tai chi body mechanics', to make what I show more portable :)

Of course Murphy's first law of combat (No plan ever survives contact with the enemy) may well apply and equally if anyone asks me to cover anything specific I will do my best to comply - Please note, that despite my 'flirting' with Tae Kwon Do from 2008-2010 anyone asking for an aerial kick demonstration will be responsible for carrying me to A&E :) :) :)

20. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I'd like to see you doing some of those Capoeira cartwheels I saw you learning at another MAP meet long ago.

Mike