Official Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by ajs1976, Aug 18, 2005.

1. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

2. jcurtis

jcurtis Valued Member

i have not read it, but i am also interested in hearing others opinions, if its good i will probably buy it as well

3. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Have it at my school and I also have the older paperback version. If you study Kukkiwon type TKD, and instruct then it is a valuable reference guide. The one problem with it is that you should be well versed in korean terminology to get the full impact of the book. The Korean to english translation isn't very good and unless you are comfortable with Korean it may be a struggle to use.

If you are not an instructor or not comfortable with Korean there are other books that are quite good for reference for KKW TKD. What exactly do you need to book for?

4. ajs1976

ajs1976 New Member

I'm a student and would like to be an instructor someday. I'm looking for a more detailed reference. I know this book existed, but can not find much information about it.

Does it go into more detail about the philosophy and meaning of the poomsae than is listed on the kukkiwon website?

5. dadams

dadams Valued Member

This textbook is the most comprehensive book on kukkiwon style taekwondo, particularly where techniques are concerned. Also one of the largest.
    It also comes with two video tapes of poomse (forms).
    While the tapes of the poomses and some of the rules and such that are printed therein are now outdated (changes have been made). It is still good.
    Of course there is the usual propaganda about TKD history, but if you get past that it is a good read.
    It would be my fav TKD book.
    Yes it is expensive but it depends on how serious you are.
    There are plenty of other books that would probably represent better value for money to the average TKD exponent, but as stated previously it depends on how serious you wish to take "kukkiwon" TKD.

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

7. The Toad

The Toad New Member

Where to find the Kukkiwon Textbook

Can anyone recommend where one can purchase the Kukkiwon textbook? I know Turtle Press used to sell it, but I can't seem to find it there anymore.

Thanks.

8. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

9. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

how old is the book? is it another one where the forms and rules are out of date? I have the Dartfish DVD's and i thought they were considered the new official textbook.