Off to Thailand to Train

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SCP_Kensei, Jan 19, 2006.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Ive jusst been accepted for a loan to go ot Thailand and train for a bit.

After clearing my credit card and paying off other debts I have about £1500 to £1600 to spend in total, and plan to be there for about a month if i can.

No plans have been made yet, not even when i'm going.

What I want is some advice on the best gyms, and places to stay, that will allow me to live in moderate comfort for a month and train my ass off.

I really want the best quality, yet affordable training I can get.

Ideally I would also like to keep up my Kali training whilst im there so any news on Kali gyms would be great too.

2. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

I was looking into camps in thailand because I want to train there as well and one thing that you should decide before looking at camps is whether you want to be by the beach or in the mountains. After you decide on that you can narror down the number of camps to choose from.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Im going to Rawai Muay Thai camp in June. Gonna be expensive, but so worth it.

Check it out at Rawai Muay Thai

You can get a deal on the training if you plan to compete as well as train.

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

check out,www.kaewsamrit.com,great camp,rob cox is english and lives over there,he will help sort out all your needs if you decide to stay there,chok dee khap. :)

5. Adsy

Adsy Valued Member

Check out www.muaythailand.com you will get a load information on gyms and costs of living in Northern Thailand for extended periods of time.

Good luck where ever you go.

6. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Ive heard Fairtex is a good gym.
    My instructor have been at Jungle Gym I think, and it looks like they have som decenent figters too.
    http://www.junglegym.co.th/index.php?sect=home

But I dont have any personal experience thougt.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  7. NaughtyKnight

There are so many gyms in Thailand. Just make sure that they actually cater to tourists. You dont want to turn up, and spend a month as a kicking bag for some thailand champ.

Rawai is great. The current World champ teaches and trains there.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Rawai looks like a great place to go. I do plan to visit in the next few years, just a bit hard to juggle everything else around it. :(

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Yeah I was reading up on Muay Thai fighters experiences training in Thailand and he said Rawai was on the top of his list, also caters well to families according to him.

10. NaughtyKnight

Just read over the site, give them a call etc.

They train, kids, women and of course men. So you could bring your whole family for a Thai Boxing training month :D.

The standard of training is pretty high aswell. The majority of the people training there are able to compete (and win) after only 8 weeks. This is against experienced people aswell.

I cant wait to go. :D

11. Shadow_of_Evil

I was t'inking about it long and hard last night. If I can get the extra cash together (I'm going on a one month trip back to Ireland so that's busting my bank) by the end of the year then I think I might go for it. I'll only be training for a month I think but damn.
    I've always talked about doing it but never really thought it would happen.

12. NaughtyKnight

If you think about it, and add up all the cost, its cheap as anything.

For me to go to Thailand, stay there in a decent gaff, eat well and have a night life with hardcore training, would only cost a little over $5k Australian.

Anywhere else in the world and you'd be spending that for maybe 2 weeks, without the training.

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I think I will go to China, then Thailand after graduation High School.

Then college baby!!!

14. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

If you want to get the most out of your training you could go to a camp and live there as some camps do this, you would get the absolute most out of your training by doing this. But if you wanna go out at night then it might not be such a great idea. I would recommend Sityodtong in Pattaya, its a great camp I go there all the time and you can have a laugh at night time there as well.

15. Shadow_of_Evil

I worked it out. I could more or less go the camp for a month for about $2000 AUD including the flight. However, while you're there you are going to want to do things other than training so obviously you would want more money.
    But flight, food, training, good accomodation = $2000
    Can't go wrong.

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah, in fights where the other guy is paid to lose. not uncommon in thailand at all. i find it highly unlikely that they train noobs for 2 months well enough to have a winning record against experienced fighters.

I have to second Kaewsamrit too, thats where our gyms fighters go and the pedigree with fighters like Anuwat Kaewsamrit speaks for itself.

17. NaughtyKnight

Sure, I bet quite alot of the fights are "fixed" to give the camp a good image. Though, the majority of the fighters are past/current world champions etc.

Basically. Just go for a camp that.

1. Caters to Tourists.
    2. Is not too expensive
    3. Has some quality fighters both training and instructing.
    4. Near the night life (so you can have a relax on your day off from training).
    5. Good quality accomodation. (You dont want to be sleeping in a mud hut in the baking sun. Air con would be good).

18. Shadow_of_Evil

It's probably NOT a good idea (IMO) to get aircon rooms if you plan to stay for a decent ammount of time. I think it'll make it harder to adjust to the heat/humidity.

19. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I have to disagree dude as I never had a problem and when you get to your room it allows you to relax properly.

20. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

What i'll prbably do is get an air con bungalow for the first month, whilst I get used to the climate and have my girlfriend with me. Then move to a fan bungalow for the last 2 months.