Off day training

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Jul 18, 2007.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Ok, I'm curious to what you all do on your "off days", days that you don't go to class on. What kind of training do you do, have you done, or want to do? Have you found anything that has really helped you in class or that has significantly improved your curriculum.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  2. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

no i didn't, infact i found rest to be the best possible off training activity

3. Willow

Willow Valued Member

If you mean training in the sense of general physical exercise, I lift weights.

If you mean Kuk Sool specific training, I often go through all my forms lightly just to keep them all fresh in my head. That way they are still fluid and instinctive rather than thought out during and after class and I can spend time fine tuning rather than remembering.

4. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I meant both

5. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

A **** load of weights!!!!!!!

What good does it do? Well not too much specific for Kuksool, just stronger more powerfull.

But apart from that gets you a ripped up body for the beach, and ladies love it! :)

Nick

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Well IDK about your training philosophy, but someone else on said here said, something to the tune of, Any quality physical training will help you improve in MA.

But shibby, just make sure you keep those ripped muscles of yours stretched, so you can actually put your arms down to the side.

7. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

IDK?

Its good training, but its not specific.

But you dont want to do too much Kuksool or you may get bored of it, i mean centering your life round it cant be good for you.

In class training is a lot about endurance, and muscular endurance. But you still need the expolsivness for good kicking. Although technique plays a larger part that actual physical strength.

HA! they are not THAT bad, and besides i dont have the right body type for it. :)

I grew up thinking Arnold was the ultimate tough guy, so started the gym, quickly realised i was not going to get like him without a hell of a lot of roids, and different genetics. But just kept it going, and have constantly got stronger and more powerfull through it.

Lots of different ways to train, so that you dont get massive, but you get stronger, also depends on body types/genetics also.

It makes a big difference when techinique is not too much of an issue and its just more power than anything else. Like jumping, or kicking a football, or when your grappling and need the strength to resist something. (gives you enough time to figure out how your going to get out)

Nick

8. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I don't know about that. It seems to have worked for Kuk Sa Nim. ;)

9. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Different if you make a career out of it! :)

Nick

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

On my off days I curl 12oz bottles of beer from hand to mouth. :D

11. ember

ember Valued Member

Mine has totally varied with time. Some of the things I've tried:

- sword meditations
    - weight training
    - yoga / pilates
    - rest (esp. when Sunday is the ONLY "off" day)
    - general review of KS material
    - gardening / yard work

Sometimes I'll get into a routine for a while (usually about 3 months or so), other times I do whatever feels right that day.

12. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

Dont really have a routine but i usually only have 2days rest per week max.

My training is usually what i wake up that day and want to do unless i have a more pressing event coming up such as tourny or testing for example and then my training is more geared towards that.... but out of preperation for such events i do what i want to do as then i will work harder towards it on my own because it is what i want to do!!

Keeps things interesting and not sooo much of a routine!

13. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

High five, mate!

14. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Weak areas???? :)

Routine helps! It forces you to train weak areas, if you just train what you want and what you like then you end up with massive weak areas.

Beginner body builders frequenltly have problems with small legs, and small calves because they like training upper body.

:)

I think routine and a set programme forces you to train what your not good at!

Kicking with left leg? Punching? Forms (even though they are boring as hell) with out a set programme i just wouldnt do forms!

nick

15. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

ahhh yes weak areas..... didnt actually say what i do in my training!!! I just do what i want to do that day or a new idea i have for training that week.

For example i know i have weapons, forms, techs, power striking, speed striking, cardio and various other areas i need to train in.

i dont treat monday as weapons night and do the same thing every monday for the next 20 years, instead i vary my training to keep it interesting!!! other wise you get to a plateau and never leave.... yeah you might be good but you'll never get much more better!!!

For example tonight im thinking about doing sword with a winter glove on for my hands as a training session as this will improve my grip and give me a different workout to the normal way i do sword and hopefully improve my sword control... it will be the first time ive done this in months im expecting it to really burn my grip and forearm.... and im really looking forward to it.

And at some point this week because i really want to do this im going to do all forms and weapons once with KJN sun jins kicking routines between each form!!

And then i might get the punch bag out another night???

I dont know... i just keep it varied and different i try to keep on thinking of new ways i can train so i can become better... instead of doing all forms 4 directions (which is the normal way we are asked to do forms in class or testing situations)

The main point is your training outside class has to be different to the norm to keep you developing when you get to higher ranks!!!

hope that answers your comment shibby

:O)

16. JSun

JSun Valued Member

*slaps a high five and cracks opens another brew* :D

17. ember

ember Valued Member

Is that the 1000 kick routine, or something else?

Different can be fun :) Sometimes just a different environment, doing the normal stuff on sand, terrain, balance beam, swimming pool, helps.

18. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i'm guessing he means the 5 advanced kick routines. i can't remember them off the top of my head but one of them goes something like...

inside kick, jump inside, step turn side kick, helicopter spin kick.... :)

19. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

it's up to 13 routines now.

20. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

11... unless you know 2 more?