Obama or Oh Bummer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 19thlohan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

So tomorrow's the big day for those of us in the US. Hopefully we make the right choice.

The way I see it Obama stopped the bottom from falling out of the economy and started to rebuild it. He did so despite all the republican opposition and the absolute refusal to follow the man the American people choose as a leader. He also ended the Iraq war and brought our troops home. He got Osama Bin Laden as well.

On the other hand Mitt Romney ruined the Ma economy, all but destroyed the middle class here, shipped Ma government jobs to India and created the health mandate. His entire plan is to go back to what Bush and the republican congress he had for the first 6 years were doing when they created this recession except he wants to do it all on a grander scale. He also wants to set womens rights back about 50 years. Additionally he can't go on vacation with out ****ing off 4 countries, would you really want him in charge during an international crisis?

No matter what at least the constant political adds will be over!

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'm just happy I live in a blue state :) I'm what you would call a bleeding hart liberal :)

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Voting for the lesser of two evils only leads to more evil. - Penn Jillette

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

5. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

something romney said during the first debate hit home for me and i never forgot it. He said that he had great success when he was the governor of mass. He also said that that house there was full of democrats. a majority of them. So I thought, well duhh he could be called successful, maybe because the democrats were able to block many of his more bat crap ideas there? Who knows how he would have been with a republican majority. But he conviniently left that out, of course.

6. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

And voting for the greater evil leads to more evil than the more evil of voting for the lesser evil.

I'm sorry. I lost track halfway through the sentence. I'll her my coat.

7. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

I wish I was from the US so I could vote for Obama :(.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Did you not see post #4?

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I wish I wasn't from the US so I didn't have to deal with the whole election thing - and the fanaticism and stupidity on both sides.

Wait, what? Bad dream. Oh good.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if romney wins i hope the entire civilized world attacks and conquers the united states.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck ;)

13. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The advertising on television alone is enough to make you want to take a long vacation every four years.

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I've heard about this - the fact that political candidates are allowed to use commercial advertising still makes me shudder.

15. ITaikido

ITaikido Valued Member

And forget watching TV tonight...every 5 minutes will be preempted for marginally adjusted results... glad I will be on the mats!!

16. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The most offensive ones are not necessarily the candidates themselves but the special interests and PACs that support them or some particular issue. These faceless people who hide behind an organizational facade. They make the more outrageous claims as they don't get called out by the media like a candidate would.

In my own state of Michigan, there is a billionaire bridge owner who has spent some forty million dollars trying to convince the voters that another bridge to Canada will cost us teachers, police officers, and firefighters when he actually doesn't want the competition. He is distorting facts so he can keep puling in around a hundred million in tolls a year.

17. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Before I go for my nap,

Obama's four main achievements: 1. Ending Iraq war 2. Killing Osama bin Laden 3. Stimulus package and bail outs 4. BP Oil spill not costing US tax dollars 5. Drone Strikes 6. Downgraded credit rating (although this is through idiotic and careless calculation- my cousin is an investment banker who actually did MA Economics at Cambridge; he's not a fan of Obama's economic policies but he says the downgrade is not his fault) 6.Obamacare

unfortunately i'm a bit worried most won't see it that way as:

1. Bush signed the pact to withdraw by 2011
    2. Richard Miniter said he cancelled 3 kill missions to get bin Laden (though they were 'unnamed sources' and Minter seems to be a Republican idiot who blames Clinton for bin Laden even though Bush was forewarned about 9/11); there's also speculation that Zawahiri and bin Laden's wife made it easier to find him due to bin Laden going senile and womanising
    3. US is a free market and through trading they lifted themselves out of a recession/increased private sector jobs. Apparently the stimulus package just increased debt and was unnecessary (my cousin said this/that in a severe recession you ignore the Keynesian injection theory and simply reduce spending and increase taxes since people simply won't spend enough)
    4. Apparently this is a bad thing (cousin said this-dk why it is bad)
    5. There's no way this is a bad thing. To an American, soldier's life> life of foreigner
    6. Some hate this- I haven't experienced it but NHS down here is lame

Can someone put my mind at ease here?!

Not into politics much but I don't want a guy who sees Russia and every single Muslim country as threats to run the world's biggest economy. Also, the 47% comment by Romney, was it viewed as bad due to him insulting people who worked their butts off to pay their taxes?

P.S. With regards to China's 'elections', what's the PRC President's role compared to the role of the Premier? Wikipedia says he 'writes policies' but surely the policies for the last 34 years have simply been 'Export cheap products and services,make China #1'- the President's role can't simply be that as a figurehead as he does go to meetings with other World leaders and he IS #1! You can't argue that the Great Powerful Venerable Chairman Mao Tse-Tung had no power as a President!
    Actually, why is Mao revered far more than Dr Sun Yat Sen or Deng Xiaoping (the latter's not even on Yuan notes even though he turned the country around)? Sure Mao unified China but he decimated it until his death and promoted bigger families (leading to overpopulation). Couldn't they just, you know, ignore it and make him part of a whole (when I went to China to Xian art museum, the girl who herself worked there said Mao was an anti-American and people were to revise his little Red Book or be executed-she then giggled [cute Commie chicks ftw])

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHuBM3cq1Y&list=FLNpr9AeXo4TXnsQD6v4x9kQ&index=1153&feature=plpp_video"]"Obama Mama" - Greg Scarnici & Katreese Barnes - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I dislike appeals to authority, such as referring to an investment banker cousin, already but in this case it's particularly comical. I would hesitate before trusting the opinion of an investment banker on whether the sky was blue - the industry as a whole has shown itself to be morally bankrupt (pun intended) and capable of missing the obvious to an astounding degree.

It always amuses me when someone blurts out nonsense like that. Try going to Switzerland and getting some healthcare.

No, really, it'll be funny. For me at least.

Switzerland, incidentally, has excellent standards of healthcare. It is also all private, despite very high tax rates.

Can someone put my mind at ease here?!

I don't know why it was viewed as bad - then again however it was viewed it was inaccurate. The 47% included those on payroll, who get taxes removed from their paycheck. It also including those who are no longer of working age, and many others, not just those who don't pay taxes due to being unemployed.

It'd be very hard to judge exactly where the power lies in China (other than with the Party), as unlike North Korea it's not based so much around a cult of personality.

Because the party decided it would be so.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHuBM3cq1Y&list=FLNpr9AeXo4TXnsQD6v4x9kQ&index=1153&feature=plpp_video"]"Obama Mama" - Greg Scarnici & Katreese Barnes - YouTube[/ame][/QUOTE]

19. 19thlohan

Your Jedi mind tricks won't work here!

20. 19thlohan

Umm Great success in Ma. I don't think so!!!!! I can't think of one good thing he did here. What did he do? He virtualy ruined the middle class and his Romney care is partly responsible for the loss of many full time jobs so employers can avoid paying for employess health care which Romney's plan dictates that they do if the employee works over 35 hours a week. Many places that formerly hired full time will now only hire part time, usually 32 hours a week. So now they don't get health care from work but they make enough (according to Romney) to afford healthcare so they don't get covered for free. That means that they have to take a huge chunk of their tiny paycheck and put it towards health care while they are living in one of the most expensive states. This is a huge part of the reason so many people would rather stay on unemployment than take a lower paying or part time job.