Nutritional Supplements

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by YODA, Nov 7, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi MAPers :D

What supplements do you take? If any?

Vitamins?
    Minerals?
    Protein?
    Other?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Vitamin C when I've got a cold, otherwise nothing.

3. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

http://www.minutemaid.com/mm_nutrition/pdfs/mm3.pdf
    read that article, vitamin C pills do ya no good by the time you have a cold. I think it's one of those mom myths.
    I don't take any supplements. I used to a couple of years ago to help me gain a bit of wait. It worked ok, but I don't think I would do it again due to the cost involved. I took whey protien and it's expensive up here in Canada. I also gave myself a better diet and exercise, so it wasn't like I was just eating chocolate and sugar then taking protien hoping to gain a few pounds.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Recently they actually did a series of tests, and found that you do actually benefit, in fact 12g of vitamin C will halve the time a cold lasts at least.

5. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I use whey protien on a regular basis,mainly for regulating my weight.When going into an event I cycle in L-glutamine and Creatine Monohydrate.
    Vitamins e and Cod liver oil for my getting old body.
    Otherwise Carbos in the morning lots of salad and fresh friuit during the day and protiens at night.

6. YODA

Cool

Sounds very similar to my current supplement profile...

Whey protein (Isolate) - topping up my diet to ensure 1g/Kg of lean body mass per day
    Creatine cycle - 3g per day - 4 weeks on, 2 off
    Glutamine - mainly when cutting weight to minimise muscle atrophy
    Glucosamine Sulphate (1500mg per day)
    A good strong multi-vitamin & mineral daily.
    AST Dymetadrine Xtreme when cutting weight (Thermogen)

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Creatine from Time To Time
    Riped Fuel i Love This Stuff
    A-Z Vitamine Everyday
    Proteine Shakes with Glutamine
    Glucoss from time to time.

Suplements are Good But if Your over all Diet is Bunk
    Then They will Do Nothing For U.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I just take 1000 mg of Glucosamine sulphate, a multi vitamin pill and 200 mg of iron, every morning with my breakfast. I used to take some Vicatell supplements (i think that what they were called) but had to stop when I couldn't afford them anymore.

Acekicken, i agree with what you say about supplements and diet. If you live off burgers and chips, they don't do much. They're meant as a nutrition supplement rather than replacement.

Are those protein shakes any good by the way?

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Just regular food and drink, but I eat only 3 times a day (sometimes 2) and kinda undercook the vege's.

10. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Watch that thermogen its dangerous. I know you are not stupid YODA, but a note to the newbs out there: Make sure you understand what it does before you take it (as with all drugs) but this one especially.

11. YODA

Agreed...

You should research & evaluate ANY nutritional supplement before you take it - knowledge is power.

12. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan New Member

Just bringing this thread back to life again...........

I was wondering whether it matters at what time of day do you take your supplements/vitamins???

At the moment I take 3g Creatine first thing in the morning and a Multivitamin after dinner.

I was just wondering really whether by taking it at a certain time of the day (i.e before training) it will be more beneficial ??

Thoughts?

13. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: Cool

Just interested but what decisions made you choose this profile.

I mean, what did you not feel you were getting elsewhere.

Just interested as I've never taken supplements of any kind other than cod-liver, garlic and vitmins.

What benefits do you get??

14. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

What quality of research evidence is there for what people take anyway? I haven't looked into this myself but I'm aware of the lack of good quality evidence for lots of medical drugs and I think would be on a par with or better that the evidence for nutritional supplements.

15. khafra

khafra New Member

A good place to look for research into nutritional supplements is a bodybuilding message board. They usually have quite a few people well up on the latest health science.