Nutritional Differences Between Bulking and Cutting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pobeli, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

OK, I'm 5'8" and roughly 120 pounds, I've been lifting weights for a few weeks now, eating loads, and eating carefully. I have a few nutrition questions now.

This afternoon, I read an article on T-nation about bulking. It said not to drink any liquid without calories in it. Currently, I'm drinking about a half gallon of milk daily, and at least that much water. Should I cut back on water for a while and drink more milk? Or am I doing OK? It also said to eat lots of fat while bulking. What are some good foods that are high in fat?

The article is here: http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=7C5CE996E2CE80FAD331DCB2EBC75605.hydra?id=781428

Also, I am eating a lot of dairy. We don't get much meat, so I get most of my protein from milk, eggs, cottage cheese, and peanut butter. Am I eating too much dairy?

2. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Yes, keep drinking LOTS of water.

I think there is an article on T-Nation called "Dairy Dilemma" or something along those lines. Its a good read.

Meat is best
    Eggs are second
    Dairy is third
    Plant protein is fourth
    Don't eat soy ever

Get more meat.

Also, if you can't get more meat, buy a tub of whey protein concentrate to supplement your diet (if you aren't already).

3. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I had half a dozen eggs yesterday. Is that too many? I don't really keep track, but I tried adding up the calories I took in yesterday, and I think it was between 3000 and 5000. I probably get more than 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight every day, too.

Also, I don't know about the whey protein. My parents generally let me eat as much as I want (and I'm thankful for that) as long as it's in the house. We aren't very rich (in fact, my weight set was given to me for free by a friend of our family's) and I hear protein powder's expensive. Maybe I'll look into it, though.

4. tcgohan

tcgohan New Member

buying bulk

do your parents have a membership to a bulk-goods store like CostCo or Sam's Club? I bought a chocolate flavored whey protein mix for $20, it has 90 servings worth that's 23 cents per serving. It tastes good, though you do need a shaker to mix it (hint:check the dollar stores). They had some other diet/nutrition things but I only need protein to aid recovery so didn't look to hard at those. Good luck. This coming from someone whose 5'11" 225lbs :cool:

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

In all honesty, my bulk is one of those "eat whatever is in reach/sight/available even if it's fast foods, but don't forget the healthy stuff". But I still make sure I don't take in too much fat/carbs from the wrong places (like too much fast food). I hate counting cals and crap, so I just do an estimate of calories per day reading the labels, if that. JUST EAT!:D

If you're bulking, and are that skinny, I suggest taking a look at David Barr's most recent article on bulking at T-nation right here:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=96F27BD26A86948E9FC0A629088AB071.hydra?id=781428

That covers the bulking phase. For cutting, I'd suggest gradually working your way down to maintenance, and throwing in HIIT or something. Remember that after a bulking phase, you should have more muscle mass, which means a higher maintainance.

Protein powder isn't too expensive if you look hard. I use optimum nutrition (chocolate and strawberry taste good, vanilla is the root of all evil) and it's about 20 bucks for a 2.2 lb jug. But like mentioned, you can get whey in large quantities from costco or BJs or some place like that. And if you only use it pre and/or post workout, it'll last you a bit longer (I get about 32 servings per jug of ON protein, and I work out 3 times a week, using it for postworkout only, so it lasts me about 2 months or so). If you can't get any whey protein for whatever reason, eat eggies and lots of em! They're the next best thing IMO. :D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  6. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

OK. I hate eggs, but I'm willing to eat or drink whatever it takes. How many eggs are too many? I hear they're high in cholesterol, so is eating a dozen eggs a day going to mess me up in the long run?

7. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I have three egg whites and one whole egg for breakfast every morning... unless I run out of eggs. I wouldn't go more than two or three yolks a day, but get at least one because thats where most of the good stuff is.

I keep my diet extremely clean, but it is also somewhat costly. Just eat like Ghost says and you'll do fine. I might suggest eating lots of raw vegetables though, especially spinach and broccoli. Well, you can cook the broccoli (I'm not fond of raw broccoli and I'm sure many others are like me). Raw spinach is pretty good though, I eat quite a bit of the stuff every day. Put it in sandwiches, salads ect. Spinach also rocks in omelets and pasta.

8. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I love spinach.

So I shouldn't eat too many yolks? What exactly do you do with the yolk? Just throw it out? I don't know if my mom would appreciate me eating three eggs a day, and throwing out two of the yolks!

9. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Yeah I usually just throw the yolk away or give em to my dog. But since I buy all my own food it doesn't matter. Otherwise you can get a carton of egg whites, but I think that they are a tad more expensive than just buying eggs.

Nothing wrong with whole eggs, you can probably eat more than three a day without having a heart attack, but I'm no doctor or nutritionist and someone else should probably answer this / do some research of your own.

Oh and I just read that article Ghost posted... those two Lee Priest pictures are CRAZY.

I think your best bet is to just go on the "See-Food" diet.

10. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Ugh... that's going to be tough. I've been eating "clean" for a few weeks now, and just the other day I had some fast food pizza, and it just didn't taste good any more. Cottage cheese is my new best friend.

A week or so I ate a huge meal. Absolutely insanely large, such as would almost last a sedentary man an entire day. In other words, it was about twice the size of my normal meals. And I was so stuffed that the thought of eating another bite was unbearable. I'm currently eating six meals a day, so should I go for 8 or 9, and make them all fairly small, as I really don't like eating a lot of food all at once?

11. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

What a fatty he gets to be right? LOL! (Still freakishly massive though). And yes, "see-food" diet is THE best! YUM YUM! :D

12. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

That's the same article I posted in my original post.

13. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Oh god, I just ate so much for supper tonight. I don't know when the last time I ate that much was. I had an enormous stuffed pepper, about the size of three or four very large man's hands, and the biggest yam I've ever seen. I had to sit at the table for about 10 minutes before I could even stand. Right after I ate I took a huge dump then weighed myself out of curiosity... five pounds more than normal!!

14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Dont eat large meals. Just eat a million small ones all day long. Youll eat more in the long run.

15. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I eat 5-6 meals a day, but my "5th" meal just happened to be ginormic :D