Nunchuks

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Rataca100, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Not too sure if asked before, but im looking into these and i would liek to know if anyone has got good sources for learning it and any european based companies for both training and actual use ones. (if it doesnt hurt that much from a noob using them, real ones would be fine) I dont want to waste money on crap ones and want actual weapons not display junk.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I can't speak to European companies and schools specifically, but "kobudo" classes at a karate school are where it's taught.

3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I learned only a bit - from my kobudo teacher. The wooden ones can hurt and I am really good at hitting myself with anything I am given, so since I don't really plan on using them as a weapon, I bought the foam ones and find them great. If I am not too scared I get hit, the practise is easier.

I have these:

0000333_foam-nunchaku-with-chain_480.jpg

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Find a decent Kubudo teacher. I remember trying to self learn these when I was a kid and I remember a lot of times not being able to use my arm after striking an elbow and striking the back of my head. Doesn't help I was trying to learn with metal and wooden chucks.... Folly of youth.

Find a teacher rather than trying to self teach you are only instilling bad habits and most likely a fair amount of pain.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Also consider why - they have to rank as one of the most overrated weapons ever, and if you don't want "show" nunchaku your consideration will be martial

Ergo a nice kamagong stick is much better !

Remember as well they are prohibited weapons in the UK so if your dojo doesn't teach or use then you may have limited outlets

SWC Sifu Ben, aaradia and Dan93 like this.
  6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Agreed on this, remember seeing them used on a few dog brothers videos and extended they didn't look that effective... Give me a good axe or falchion any day :)

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You had me at axe....

pgsmith likes this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think people just want to use them because................Bruce Lee.

Same reason people think it is a Chinese martial arts weapon, when it is Okinawan. Bruce Lee used them and he studied Wing Chun, right? Therefore, they must be a Chinese martial arts weapon. :rolleyes:

Bruce Lee looked cool to people using them in the movies, so people make them part of cultures they didn't belong to and pretend they are a great weapon.

I just respectfully disputed a Sifu on Facebook who posted about using Nunchuks in his CLF curriculum. I politely asked how they got added to a school that represented itself as traditional CLF. He tried to tell me they are a part of Chinese culture, but even the video HE posted on the origins of the weapon said they were Okinawan. Anyways, he admitted he added them to his curriculum. (there was more to the discussion, but this is the part relevant to my point.)

It is one of the influences of Bruce Lee that I find annoying. Really not his fault even. He was a movie star and they looked cool. He was influenced by arts other than Chinese ones, and that is fine. I just wish more people were educated on the fact that he wasn't just a Wing Chun/ Chinese martial arts person, but influenced by other arts. Because the widespread perception of nunchuks being a part of Kung Fu is something we are stuck with in pop culture. Same thing with the effectiveness of them.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

What a daft weapon.

Carry on. :D

frownland and Nachi like this.
  10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I will add though, that if someone wants to learn a weapon because it looks like fun, nothing wrong with that. There are some pretty impractical Chinese weapons that I still would like to learn because it seems like it would be fun. But I am realistic about their applications in modern day life.

I think the closest weapon to it in my school is a three section staff. Most students really look forward to learning that. Me, not so much. Like what others have said about Nunchuks, I hear lots of stories about hitting oneself a lot while learning to use them. I asked my instructor if I would be able to learn first with foam ones, she said no. That isn't the main reason I don't want to learn them though. It's just that there are so many other things to learn at that level that hold my interest more.I got another sash level to go before really having to deal with that though.

Anyways, Rataca100, I hope you can find a kobudo class that suits your desire to learn them.

Nachi likes this.
  11. aikiMac

Nice to hear in this thread I'm not the only one who questions their functional value. I bought wooden 'chucks in my late teens and played with them through college, and read the books, and watched other people, and watched videos of kata competitions, and watched the Ninja Turtles over and over and over. I could never figure out how to effectively fight with them, though. They just don't seem to actually work as effective weapons. :oops::(

A lot of fun to play with, though! :D

12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Would just like to note, my intrests are not limited to this weapon. I just cant stand the objects in the skin of a weapon which do not their their durability. (if you know what i mean)

I will be sure to tell you if i hit my groin or anything important. Will be looking into Kobodo and other weapon based classes in my area though. If the worse happens i will have to try and look for a self defence agaisnt weapons classes in hopes it teaches you basics in fighting with some of them. :p Woes of TKD no weapons training.

I would also take a knife, sword, staff, pistol or rifle over this anyday. Just looks fun to learn them and i would assume it trains disipline for use of (similar) flails.

Oh i forgot to mention, Tiger's and 10 ton weights are the best weapon, kudos if you get it.

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Look for FMA or HEMA classes as these would be perfect for you if available in your area.

14. aikiMac

Kendo is great. You'll get a lot of respect for a long stick as a weapon, as the experienced kendo players are *RIDICULOUSLY FAST* and hit *HARD* :D

15. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I know of one Arnis club thats closer than any HEMA or Asian ones that i know of, but i still cant get to it nor know if its a good one. I would be going all ready alogn with doing Krav Maga all ready if i could. XP

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Maybe forward a link for our FMA practioners on the board. Sure you will get some feedback? If I had the time to add it to my training I would in a heart beat. I have had some exposure to FMA and it will be something I will add to my toolbox when time permits.

17. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I may PM it, but i am hesitant to give away my area.

18. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

If you want to learn staff, too, kobudo would be a good choice as well ;) ...and for other fun weapons, too :D

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It's hard to find good instruction in nunchaku. From what I've seen it's essentially used folded like a kubotan and unfurled to grapple.

20. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I think they are best used for sports ...

Simon and Langenschwert like this.