Nunchukas

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TKD, Aug 29, 2003.

?

Nunchukas

Poll closed Sep 18, 2003.
  1. Currently practicing with nunchukas.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Have practiced at one point with nunchukas.

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Never practiced with nunchukas.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

In my ryu you can not study the nunchaku until you are a brown belt. There is a beginning certification and an advanced certification that must be completed before you are ready for black belt. The certification prosses is very extensive involving dexterity of the weapon, self-defense with the weaon, written history exam,and kata ( four katas all together).
    Nunchaku training is very involved beyond flailing as the the estemed poster from Illinois (sorry about the Cubs, man) has pointed out, but because it takes so much practice to master the non-flailing techniques they are often abandoned and that is why the nunchaku receives its bad rap in some circles. In fact many police departments that once aloud for the use of nunchaku by it's officers, has banned their use because the arresting officer only used them as flails causing too much damage unnessesarily.
    One of my pet peves are MA schools that teach nunchaku with foam toys to students without regard for understanding the reallity component of the weapon. Also, wittnessing ridiculas missuse of such an awsome weapon by mis-guided lower ranks.

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Chris J Quote 1 "It is actually spelled "Nunchaku" not nunchuka. The plural of nunchaku is nunchaku."

Chris J Quote 2 "I had a pashion for that weapon in particular and learned whatever was available."

Its actually spelt passion.:D

Sorry couldn't resist that one;)

3. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

I teach locks with the nunchaku - its one of our hojoundo. The problem is you aint gunna be doing much locking when someone is coming at you with a staff.

4. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Learn the locks, learn the blocks, learn the flailing patterns, the chokes, the pokes, and so on and use the most appropriate technique called for by the situation. Just don't not learn something because you think that it will not work in one instance or another. If your attacker has a staff you will not utilize the same defense as you would if your attacker has a club or a knife. and also if your attacker is weaponless and you have chucks do you really need to wack him on the head. Be versitile.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

ive been using nunchaku for a year now and have got a foam set for using in my room (and pulling lights off the ceiling with), a "heavy rubber" set which are actually steel with about 2mm of rubber round them for training in the club (i only found out about the steel when i clowted myself across the head with them!), and a set of telescopic set which i got for christmas. my mate and i are trying to come up with some decent kata working from the bunkai using our other weapons (sai and my new bo staff) (cue for lots of headaches and bruises).

6. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I've been using them for a few years & have a love/hate relationship with them. I love using them but hate getting hit by them

:D

So I do a little bit of practice. And I use heavy wooden ones, not the lightweight padded ones.

If u want to see a good chuck demo, my 10yo son is an expert! He has been working with them for a few years and is bloody good.

We haven't perfected throwing and catching them perfectly yet, but its coming along nicely....

I still prefer the bo as my favourite weapon though.

7. Tibs

Tibs Valued Member

I've now been using them for about 2 years and do continue to practice with them every now and then but for a while have been at a stage where i'm having trouble advancing my skills.

Trying to look for a instructor/class I could go to where someone could advice me on what areas to improve- Just can't find any!

But at the moment am combining the nunchaku's with the martial art I train in (Lau Gar Kung Fu). It's very good combining the strikes and blocks of the nunchauk's with punch's, kicks, sweeps etc of Kung Fu.

If any1 has got to the same stage as me with the nunchaku's and has not tried combining it with thier martial art then I would
    say try it.

Just start with the foam or padded Nunchaku's, otherwise pain could also join in!!

8. Mig

Mig New Member

Yes, train regularly, hardwood, 14" Theres nothing like the thrum of nunchuck a-flying by.
    Apart from the crack of one hitting your wrist;)

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

or head :D

10. chicken

chicken New Member

I would like to learn a nunchaku form,any recomended websites to visit?

11. Sparkz2k3

Sparkz2k3 New Member

hey just started using nunchakus can any1 tell me any books or videos that will teach me how 2 use them

12. Tibs

Tibs Valued Member

I started learning the nunchakus from a video by Raphail Schmitz, made by Budo International Publishing Co.

This is a very good video and does help with the basics of the nunchauks.

I dont know if you would be able to find this easily in the shops or off the internet but I got mine from Seni 2 years ago.

So if you still aint got anything you want by April then go to Seni 04 - will be loads there.

13. dogfighter

dogfighter New Member

poll

I started using chucks in 1978 and never looked back. Last time I spared with them was at a DOG BROTHERS real contact stick fighting tournament (double chucks). Last time I actualy trained with them was the other day when a co-worker proceded to give me a demonstration on how to use them as he was an expert in martial arts and especialy nunchaku. After that I told him "quote" I might be able to show you a few moves. He said (YA RIGHT!) I picked up two pair of chucks and showed him my best moves. I thought he was going to sh*t a brick. I will say he was pretty darn good with the chucks himself but he had to concede I was more advanced than he was. Considering I am 43 yrs. old and he is 24 yrs. I had the advantage of starting my training when he was just a gleem in his MA MA's eyes. He got a good laugh out of that one. It is not going to take much to bring him up to speed as he is now my student. Yes, you will learn, Weedsmoker. (name best suites him)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004