Nunchukas

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TKD, Aug 29, 2003.

?

Nunchukas

Poll closed Sep 18, 2003.
  1. Currently practicing with nunchukas.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Have practiced at one point with nunchukas.

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Never practiced with nunchukas.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. TKD

TKD New Member

Just wondering how many of us nunchuka wielding crazies there are on this site.:woo: :D

2. teacher

teacher Valued Member

There is no better way to experience concussion in the comfort of your own home and no training partner required.
    Only used full fat chuks no foamies for this homie.

3. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I practice for fun all the time in school even though they are not taught to us. using them anywhere else around here is illegal.

4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I started with the chuks in 1986, when Thundercats debuted. I was 11, and made them out of huge railroad screws and rope. Probably weighed 5 pounds.

Needless to say, technique was nonexistent.

Martial arts changed that a little.

My first and favorite weapon (Pliers excluded)

5. TKD

TKD New Member

Anyone but me think that it's kinda dumb that they outlawed nunchukas in some states? Not here in Vermont but in other states. Take poor old thiaboxr2, he can't even really get the full benefit unless he lives at his gym!

I also didn't use the foam 'chucks, they're way too light for my taste. I cut my teeth on solid aluminum 10 inchers:D.

And my GOD, are mad? Using railroad screws? LOL, that is a death wish if I ever saw one!:eek:

6. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Yup, currently practising nunchaku.

7. Wearing Grey

Wearing Grey New Member

Yeah, I use them 5 days a week. My new school does not teach them so I just practice before class starts. I have a 3 pairs of them, 2 pairs are matching, the other odd pair is made of Rattan. The matching set is made out of graphite. They are pretty light. And a bit flashy too. Solid blue. All three of mine have the chains.

I used the foam ones to start out with, then I went to aluminum and those broke after a while. Then I bought the rattan and then the graphite ones.

WG

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

When I was a teenager I tried making some. Didn't work very well. I secretly bought a pair, made of wood and held together by rope. Swung them when parents weren't home. I checked out a nunchuck book from the library and worked the patterns. Got pretty good. Then I lost interest for many years, and now I can't find them.

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Tried them once, picked up a heavy wooden pair and hit myself on the back of the head with them. That was the end of that. I'm considering buying a foam set to practise with, and maybe persuading sensei to teach me properly.

10. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

Nutin better than kicking your own **** with your own weapon

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It taught me a lesson thats for sure :)

12. Justin

Justin ITF-Taekwondo

Yes, i practice with them all the time.

"Anyone but me think that it's kinda dumb that they outlawed nunchukas in some states? Not here in Vermont but in other states. Take poor old thiaboxr2, he can't even really get the full benefit unless he lives at his gym!"

yes where i live it is illegal to have big wooden ones or metal ones

13. TKD

TKD New Member

LOL, fun livin' in the dictatorship of Kalifornistan huh? J\k. Gotta suck though, not being able to have a real pair of nunchukas. They should get a license system or something going, like with guns. But, then again, I guess the only reason you can even still get a gun there is because it's a constitutional right. Maybe we ought to get nunchukas into the constitution so they can't take away your foam ones too.:D

14. Jonny Chee

Jonny Chee Valued Member

Yeah I have recently started practicing after my mate (who is not a martial artist) showed me some moves he learned from a book.
    Anybody know of any good websites with the techniques on that I could learn from?

I'm having great fun with them although my elbow disagrees (after smacking myself there repetitively)!

Thanks people.

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Train with them all the time.

I've got foam and rope and wood and chain chucks, I personally find that the wood is easier to use as the weight helps. Now I want some wood and rope ones.

Its weird how guns are so freely available in America but two sticks and a rope are banned.

16. El-Zerb

El-Zerb New Member

I've been training with the chucks for about 6 months, I've kinda reached a plateau. Can anyone recommend any books or video's for a beginner?

17. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

i do doubles now, i used to do alotta singles, but i've gotten into the double nunchaku lately

18. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Hi,
    It is actually spelled "Nunchaku" not nunchuka. The plural of nunchaku is nunchaku.

I have been working in ****o-Ryu karate since 1969. In my second year I asked to be taught the use of the Nunchaku. At the time 3 katas were available; I have since learned that there originally were no nunchaku katas passed on from the old days, just waza. The katas had been fashioned in the modern day.

I had a pashion for that weapon in particular and learned whatever was available. Hours of practice each day with a heavy weapon made for a good foundation. Later I developed 2 practice forms using two nunchaku. There had been one taught to me that used two, but in a symetrical way that was not very difficult. I created two that use movements that are different on each side in such a way that they fit together; it sort of ends up resembling escrima training. They are both extremely difficult to do, and much harder than that to teach. They are an aerobic nightmare. ;)

The older ways used nunchaku as a grappling weapon that was punctuated at need by flailing. Today all you ever see people do is just flailing. Like the rest of the martial arts and karate in particular, the practice little resembles what it came from.

-Chris J.

19. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Can someone please fix the ****o-Ryu thing? It is S-H-I-T-O Ryu. I keep gettinc censored. ;)

-Chris J.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'd love to learn them. Nobody around here teaches them tho! Whacked myself in the head with the foam ones and THEY hurt. Can't imagine a real set of them smacking me around. Like Chazz says, nothing like kicking your own ass with a pair of chucks...