Nunchakus..Long or Short???

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hunnysan, Aug 6, 2005.

1. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

I personally prefer the short nunchaku's i mean where the handles are short but the chain is longer...and when i say long i meant the more common ones where the handle is longer then the chain. I prefer the short ones because i have small hands and with the longer chain i can make faster movements with them. it is harder to catch and stop..but to me..it's way easier then the long? which do you prefer?? Or if you have a totally different type of nunchaku..please share..i have a pair of metal ones..that turn into batons..they're cool ( i don't use them though.they hurt too much during practice)

Dj Hunny

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

When I choose nunchaku (when out to buy them), I try different materials/lengths/shapes (round or octagnal) etc and decide on the action rather than the length of the handles or chain.

Given that though, and because I have pretty big hands, my nunchaku are the usual 12" long ones (link). When I was in the shop, I tried the smaller 8" handled ones ("speed-chucks") but didnt like how light they were, and they werent very good for blocking IMO.

3. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

i never knew there were different shaped ones...my friends has one with the metal studs on them...and i thought those were the most different they come..as for material...wooden is fine for me because metal gets a little slippery with my sweaty hands..

What other shapes are there?

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The other main shape (than round) is octagnal.

Advantages of octagnal - greater contact area when striking (the faces of them) and the corners make strikes a lot more painful.

Disadvantages - the edges can stick in your hands if you grip wrong.

Probably more, but I have been drinking, so I will stop there for now. If I think of any more, I will post them tomorrow :)

5. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I've always used the 'long' ones, and enjoyed learning how they work. There are a couple of techniques (with the chain wrapped around the hand, etc) that the short wood longer chain would help, but you adapt what you do to the tools you have available. :)

I was given a joke present of a pair of 'kiddie' foam nunchaku that has a sound generator inside. You start hitting things with it and you get "Haaayyyya - Hy - Hy - Heeeeaaaayyyyyyyaaaaa" :rolleyes: :D

Tucked away in my weapons bag, I also have a dog-toy which is a string of 5 rubber sausages (each with a silly face on :D ). I use this for the same forms and drills as the nunchaku, and get a laugh out of the kids. [I know it sounds stupid - but guess what.... I can walk along the beach swinging this about, and no-one can say much about it :D :Angel: ;) ]

6. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

haha that's funny...i'd like the nunchaku that has sounds inside...i thought it would just make a whipping sound everytime u use it..haha...