Nunchaku Treats

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by SpinStorm, May 30, 2004.

1. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

2. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

that's really good, I just mess about with nunchucks so I'm not exactly an expert but I was impressed.

3. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

I am a nunchaku dude also ... well not that much .. i just mess around with them ... not all that good myself ...

4. capper

capper New Member

great videos, im just about to go on your website. i mess around with nunchaku as well, but i have always had wooden ones, not foam, and to be honest, i found this improved me because i became more careful, if you use foam, its ok 2 go wrong ad you become sloppy, is this just me, or does anybody else have anything to say on the matter (i kniow its knida irrelevant buti just thought id bring it up because this is the only nunchaku thread iv seen)

5. John Sinclair

John Sinclair Valued Member

I use nunchuka and to be honest I've never used the foam one's. I believe that with the foam one's you could get very profiecient at.. Foan nunchuka's. Obviously anything else is VERY different. I'm not saying that wood is better or anything like that but I would suggest it depends on what you want from it. If you want to be good and injury free then go with the foam. If you want the full package then go with the wooden. Obviously there are other types like metal, telescopic, acrylic etc but it is down to you.
    Personally, I wanted to learn traditional Okinanwan nunchuka so that was the path I have chosen and the path I tread. Not right or wrong, just my choice!

6. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Thanks. I gonna use you "Guide" to practice some before I go to a class. Great videos.

7. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

Thanks for the compliments.. Its great to hear my site and vid's are appreciated :love:
    I dont believe foam nunchaku are bad, I use them quite a lot, especially when practicing techniques that could easy harm me if they were my metal ones ;)
    I dont think they harm your training particularly, aslong as they are good foam nunchaku, asin the ones with the wooden bars under the foam instead of the brittle plastic nunchaku, then the wieght is at least a little realistic..
    Plus theres the issue of breaking stuff when i start throwing them in the air, which makes foam nunchaku all the more practical :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I found that telescopic nunchaku were better once you break the chain, then et viola, you have two telescopic battons (damn, where is an evil smiley when you need one hehe)

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  8. Black dragon

Black dragon New Member

Another nunchaku video web site

Wassup Spinstorm,just checked out the videos on your site. They are quite helpfull and i learnt a new technique from your site.

Please check out http://www.nunchaku.tv a site where techniques are demonstrated as flash videos and let me know what you think of it

9. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

I like nunchaku.tv a lot, I regularly spam the forums there with my random thoughts and musings on nunchkau :p

10. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Your very good, i cant do more than basics with nunchaku.

11. Black dragon

Black dragon New Member

Nice to know you like the site

12. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

13. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

14. Sphyerion

Sphyerion Valued Member

hrm.. any one ever sparr with nunchakus? yes no? was it full contact? free sparring? How about against other weapons. Just curious.

15. SpinStorm

SpinStorm Valued Member

I havent, but I regard nunchaku more as a toy to me than a weapon..

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Those are pretty fun to watch, but I ahve to admit, I am getting old: I watched your first clip and I thought "DON'T PLAY WITH THOSE IN THE HOUSE, YOU'LL BREAK SOMETHING!!!" hahahahaha :cool:

As for sparring, a guy in my Kempo calss brought in his foam set, he's not real skilled with them yet... but we went at it. I only found one strategy that worked - try to get inside while he is recovering from a strike. I would try to hover at the edge of his range, tempt him onto thinking I was in range, draw back then shoot in as fast as possible and try to jam up his weapon. I would not want to try that against a wooden set.

17. b33p

b33p New Member

I found that nunchuka guide very usefull
    I will read through it properly and test it out
    I have a pair of foam nunchukas and a pair of wooden ones.
    I have never really used them properly because i didnt know how

18. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Nunchaku.TV is gone?

19. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

I have sort of sparred with nunchucks. Although it was closer to us just hitting each other with them seeing as blocking would divet our concentration from the hitting. (only foam covered ones though, we're not that hard)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  20. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!