Numbness after being punched in the face.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jazzysingh, Apr 4, 2012.

1. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

I don't know if this is posted in the correct forum so mods please feel free to move and I apologise if its in the wrong place.

Yesterday during sparring I walked into a straight punch... This hit my Cheek bone which in turn led to instant numbness in my right cheek, right side of upper lip and all the upper teeth on right side.... and a banging headache. The cheek feeling came back almost instantly after a few minutes. The headache lasted all night and even slightly today. However I still have a slightly numb upper lip and front tooth. Is this something to worry about. After googling last night I believe it was due to a nerve being sqaushed or damaged with the punch. To be honest I dont think it is severe as the loss of feeling and numbness has gradually increased already in just one day and I read some cases through the google search which lasted weeks/months even permanent. Do you guys/girls think I should get this checked out?

Has anybody experienced this? Thoughts and recommendations are welcome.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's no harm in getting it checked by a professional if you have any worry. Better to be safe than sorry.

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

If you’re worried, best to see a doc.. though I have had similar numbness from being hit before. It should resolve with time.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You were thinking perhaps an injury to the maxillary branch of the trigeminal nerve?

Nerves injuries basically come in three types - neuropraxia, neurotmeisis and axonotmeisis. Essentially a bruise, a division of the internal core but not the external nerve and finally a break through the nerve completely. Numbness could come from all three. A bruise can recover spontaneously although it make take a while. The other types of injury can take sometimes up to 18 months and in extreme cases may require surgical intervention.

I don't know that there is anything to do initially although a visit to your GP and possibly to a consultant for electro-diagnostic testing would confirm the level of your injury. I would think that you may well see this go away in a few days as the nerve recovers from the initial trauma. I would not expect the injury you described to have caused the more serious type of injuries. I will look a couple things up to see if I can reassure you further. Won't likely get back to you until later this evening.

LFD

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This happened yesterday?

I wish the last time I got clocked the only thing I was worrying out was some slight numbness the day after.

Suck it up for a few days. If it's still the same in a week, consider a trip to your GP. Going now would be a waste of time for both of you.

6. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

To be totally honest... the numbness is cheek has totally gone... the numbness in upper lip has continued to decrease... actually, I just whipped off my jumper... it pressed on my nose I think... and I had pain for a milli second and then the feeling instantly started to return to my lip.... this is minor now... however... still no feeling in my tooth yet lol. And to be fair, Ive never experienced numbness in the face after been hit with a punch before! Or any technique. I was slightly concerned but after google search it doesnt seem too serious. Thanks for all the replies. :)

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I see you've sorted it out for yourself... :' )

No need for any further input so will only say pm me if you have any further questions (which I suspect you won't have :' )

LFD

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I managed to hit myself in the face with a 6kg med ball a couple of months ago. Threw it high and it rebounded off some bars near me on the way down and completely missed the catch. Apart from the embarrassment I had a numb cheek, nose and lip for a good 5 minutes or so but it mostly glanced off my cheek and nose so the lip was also okay after 10 minutes, bar some bruising the next couple of days