Now I'm a cage fighter...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by finite monkey, Jun 28, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I am taking some MMA classes over the summer, (started this monday). It was apparent from the get go that my limited judo skills in throwing give me an edge over the other guys in the class when it comes to standing grappling as none of the other guys have any judo

I would like to hear from you rough MMA types the most common and/or the most effective judo throws to use in the MMA enviroment

I am continuing to judo as well and would like to be a good representative of the the art of judo, as well as to show those young pups that this old dog has a few tricks up his rash guard sleeve

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I don't come from a Judo background but have gone up against several guys in BJJ comps who come from solid Judo backgrounds... the thing that always becomes apparent is they usually are very good at getting to grips first. Dominant grip and usually get the throw. Impressive. So yeah the ones I've seen... their grip fighting has been impressive.

Once the distance is closed they also tended to do well with the trips. If someone wasn't aware they were a Judo player then they are at somewhat of a disadvantage. They tend to have better throws because of the Judo.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Having gone from a Judo background into training MMA, the big advantage I found was more that the other guys struggled like hell to get me on the floor, less that I was 'throwing them with Judo'. The emphasis of not being thrown in Judo develops a really good base, defensive timing and 'dynamic balance'.

What a lot of people tend to not understand is that the distance of grip fighting in Judo is different than the distance of clinchwork in MMA. Whilst having trained in Judo is of great benefit, you have less space to work your throws in.

4. finite monkey

By trips do you mean the sweeps, reaps and hooks?

This is an angle I had not considered..thanks

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I'll echo Freeform, your judo experience will help you from being taken down, especially when clinched against the cage or in similar tie ups. However until you get good at judo you'll probably find it difficult to throw anyone without the gi.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The proper term is not "cage fighter".
    What you have to say now is "I do UFC".

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

yep... sweeps, reaps and hooks.... commonly known in most MMA gym as the ubiquitous trip. :p

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

You may try setting your hipthrows from overhooks and working for koshi guruma a lot. Uchimata is a good one. Makikomi are golden if someone passes to your back (and it will happen a lot if you like the koshi guruma). Some judo schools work on lifts, some don't. If you did, those will be a benefit to you. Tani otoshi is another good one.

9. finite monkey

Thanks you've saved me from embarrasing mma fau pas

Though in Cork we say 'I do the UFC boi'

I had success with maki komi, koshi guruma, but failed at drop ISN. Throwing one of the biggest dudes there (maki komi) got me a little kudos ;]

10. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Throwing with makikomi is using electropads on your abs.

A strategy used by fat people who haven't worked hard enough at the other options ;)

11. finite monkey

Ouch!... but I'm not fat

12. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Haha good to hear your in shape. Makikomi is fine when it's performed like the first 4 seconds of this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19lX92iox30"]Osoto makikiomi Kani basami Kawazu gake - YouTube[/ame]

It's when its some fat gassed bloke who's wrapping an arm and falling like a tree using his weight to drag somebody down that I and many others frown on it.

If it looked like the first one when you threw the big guy then congrats :)

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

are any of the guys in your class wrestlers? never mind see you are from Ireland, typically in a country with no real history of grappling people with a background in a grappling art, like judo (or a grappling sport like rugby) will have an advantage when it comes to...well grappling in MMA, without a gi as already mentioned grips have to be modified and the distance you normally play around at is also different. From experience judo guys are as mentioned harder to throw, have better balance and are good at sweeps and trips, takes them a while to get used to throwing without a gi but once they do watch out

Just out of interest have you done takedowns with strikes yet? that changes things too

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. finite monkey

So far any strikes with takedowns have been very light and to the body only...taps realy. It is disconcerting even so, being used to the judo ruleset

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We drill the motion for the "See-O-nagi" (I dunno how to spell it) a lot. Mostly because it is a flexible technique that can be applied from different hooks, e.g over/under, double under, double over. We only learn this in a gi, but it's still the same motion (I think).

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Have you ordered lots of Tapout gear yet? :D

Mitch

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

youtube osoto gari gi and nogi by dan camirillo for some ideas!
    Ive found a lot if cross iver between judo nage waza and nogi training, but it depends on how over and under hook based your judo is.

Theres lots of footage of ronda rousey training nogi out their to get ideas from.

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I've never really seen that actually. I mean sometimes people do it and get pinned, but never seen it used with any regularity as a gimmick strategy.

It makes a difference. Your ability to box to the clinch defines your whole ability to use your judo in MMA. Boxing and entering are probably the #1 skills I'd reccomend working on to make your judo work.

19. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Come to judo scotland gradings then haha, there's always a few rotund orange/green/blue belts trying it repeatedly and sadly the occasional brown belt *shakes head*

20. finite monkey

That, my friend, is for another thread ;]

I have a heap of work to do on my hands
    . Luckily the striking trainer has a good rep and has had good results internationally, both as a kickboxer and a coach